SASS Wire Forum

The Quiet Man

Whiskey Business

I have actually never seen it. Just clips.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have actually never seen it. Just clips.

You must put it on your primary "TO DO" list!!

Many of the usual suspects in a JW movie and they ALL perform admirably!!

We watch it every St. Patrick's day, and at other times as the spirit moves us. Me. Us.  Well, you know...:rolleyes:

The supporting actors are a joy!

Likely in the top two of John Wayne movies.  Fantastic movie.  Drama, humor, even character development. 

Not to mention a ton of great lines.  

Ah, yes... I knew your people, Sean. Your grandfather; he died in Australia, in a penal colony. And your father, he was a good man too.

Well it's a nice, soft night, so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason. G'night, Sean.

Is this a courting or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband and entitled to hit you back.

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Every St. Patricks day like my old pard J-Bar says. Awesome movie.

When I drink whisky, I drink whiskey an when I drink water, I drink water.

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Likely in the top two of John Wayne movies.  Fantastic movie.  Drama, humor, even character development. 

Ah, yes... I knew your people, Sean. Your grandfather; he died in Australia, in a penal colony. And your father, he was a good man too.

Well it's a nice, soft night, so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason. G'night, Sean.

Is this a courting or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband and entitled to hit you back.

SDJ,

Agreed, it is a wonderful story with a myriad of wonderful performances.

Makes my JW Top 5.

There is no way to just describe "The Quiet Man".  It is beautiful, charming, sad, funny, joyful and pure.  It is one of the best films of all time.  The location scenery, costumes and color are all impeccable.  Everything about this film falls into place to warm your soul.

If you haven't seen it, you must absolutely do so.

(i understand John Ford made "Rio Grande" in return for a promise for financial support for his dream of making "The Quiet Man".)

47 minutes ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

There is no way to just describe "The Quiet Man".  It is beautiful, charming, sad, funny, joyful and pure.  It is one of the best films of all time.  The location scenery, costumes and color are all impeccable.  Everything about this film falls into place to warm your soul.

If you haven't seen it, you must absolutely do so.

(i understand John Ford made "Rio Grande" in return for a promise for financial support for his dream of making "The Quiet Man".)

Very well said. 

I remember the first time I saw it was on a weekend John Wayne TV festival back in '88. I had a broken leg. I don't recall if I missed the line up or what but when Quiet Man came on I was miffed! "How dare they put this drama $&@% on in the middle of Westerns and War movies. What the hell is wrong with these morons!"

I begrudgingly watched 'cause there was nothin' else on.

Loved the movie. Excellent movie.

My Favorite Movie.  

My Dad and I would crack open some  beer and watch it together on St. Patricks Day.

And we ain't even Irish. 

My favorite scene was Ward Bond with that lovely bamboo fly rod, trying to catch the evasive  trout. 

My John Wayne favorite list starts with Donovan's Reef followed closely by The Quiet Man then McClintock then all the rest.

Victor McLaglen as the brother in law, Danaher, was brilliant as usual.  The perfect foil for John Wayne, all bluster and fuss to Wayne's "quiet" demeanor. What an amazing life he led. Enlisted for the Boer War and fought in WWI!  Sparred with Jack Johnson!  Heavyweight champion of the British Army. And still found time for a 40 year long film career.  In real life I'm afraid he'd have knocked the Duke's block in that long, memorable fight scene. One of the true greats of his time. 

Seamus. 

32 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Victor McLaglen as the brother in law, Danaher, was brilliant as usual.  The perfect foil for John Wayne, all bluster and fuss to Wayne's "quiet" demeanor. What an amazing life he led. Enlisted for the Boer War and fought in WWI!  Sparred with Jack Johnson!  Heavyweight champion of the British Army. And still found time for a 40 year long film career.  In real life I'm afraid he'd have knocked the Duke's block in that long, memorable fight scene. One of the true greats of his time. 

Seamus. 

Victor McLaglen had the greatest smile of any man ever filmed.  I have always longed for that smile but the best I can do is look bored.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Victor McLaglen had the greatest smile of any man ever filmed.  I have always longed for that smile but the best I can do is look bored.

And, of course, he played the greatest Regular sergeant of the Indian-fightin' Army .  Sgt. Major Quincanon, who could outdrink and outfight any five or six men!  Ah, Captain-darlin'! I take no pleasure in it! (Taking a swig from the hidden bottle in Capt. Brittles' quarters!  :)

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

My favorite line is when they take a break in the fight, are standing at the bar in the pub, and the brother-in-law tells Wayne he feels fresh as a daisy and Wayne's response is "You look more like a Blackeyed Susan to me." And off they go again. :)

4 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

And, of course, he played the greatest Regular sergeant of the Indian-fightin' Army .  Sgt. Major Quincanon, who could outdrink and outfight any five or six men!  Ah, Captain-darlin'! I take no pleasure in it! (Taking a swig from the hidden bottle in Capt. Brittles' quarters!  :)

Col. Thursday: Sgt., are you any judge of whiskey?

Sgt. Mulcahy: Well Sir, some say that I am. And some say that I'm not.

Archived