SASS Wire Forum

28 gauge skeet loads - Looking for load data

I just spent the last 30-45 minutes trying to find powder and load data for 28 ga. shells on the internet.  I did manage to determine that Winchester 572 seems to be the replacement for Winchester 540 Powder for 28 ga. shells.  I never actually saw anything that specifically said 572 replaces 540, but that seems to be what I'm seeing.  I just ran out of 540.  In looking to buy more I didn't see it listed anywhere.  That said, none of my loading manuals list 572 and I can't find it on the internet.  Yeah, I know, I need new manuals.

OK, I know we can't post load data here, but if someone could point me to the correct website I'd appreciate it.

I tried the Hodgdon reloading site but it won't let me select Winchester Powders as an option.  I can't find a Winchester reloading site.

While we're on the subject, what powders do you guys like in the 28 ga. for Skeet loads?  I have some Universal I may try if I don't get some Winchester Powder and data.  BTW, I'm still using the old, pre "HS" AA 28 ga. hulls.  At least until I run out of the old wads.

Heck, while I'm on a roll, who reloads the Remington 28's?  What is your opinion of them compared to the new AA "HS" shells?  I've been debating buying a case or two of the Remington's when I've shot my old AA's to death.  I've heard some good things about the 28 ga. Rem's and some bad things about the HS hulls.  I admit that was a few years back, tho.

Thanks,

Angus

I don't own a 28 gauge but I saw this book in Ballistic Products catalog; not much to risk.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Small-Bore-Manual-24-28-32-410-8th-ed/productinfo/00MSB/

The reviews sound a little mediocre though...sorry.

I like Universal. Just load what the Hodgdon website tells you to and you're good to go. Remington hulls seem to burn and curl at the crimp fairly fast, AA's seem to get soft in the middle where the powder ignites. I think the AA's last a little longer. You need to watch for when you start to get some poof rounds, it means that the middle is thinning out to the point that the wad is not sealing well. My experience with Rems and AAs in .410 is the same.

In skeet, unlike CAS, you're not shucking and loading shells on the clock, so I don't think the brand of hull is as important as finding the load you want.  Glancing at Hodgdon data, there are many more loading options for Winchester hulls than Remington.

My 2 cents

17 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

I like Universal. Just load what the Hodgdon website tells you to and you're good to go. Remington hulls seem to burn and curl at the crimp fairly fast, AA's seem to get soft in the middle where the powder ignites. I think the AA's last a little longer. You need to watch for when you start to get some poof rounds, it means that the middle is thinning out to the point that the wad is not sealing well. My experience with Rems and AAs in .410 is the same.

I have load data for Universal and I may end up using that for 28 ga.  Plus, I already have about 3-4# of Universal.  It's just that I've used Winchester's 540 in the 28 for so long I kind of wanted to stick with Winchester Powders.

Nobody makes a 28 or .410 shell that lasts very long when reloading.  I've got some once fired 28's and .410's (both HS hulls) that already have a split in the crimp.  I had a couple 28 ga. AA HS hulls split halfway down the hull on the first shot out of the box.  If I get 5-6 reloads out of either I think I'm doing good.  The 12's and 20's, both AA and Remington Premier, seem to go on almost forever, with smokeless loads.  Not so much with Black Powder.

I'm surprised nobody had an online site showing 28 ga. load data using Winchester Powder.  I'll probably run by the local Gun shop next week and pick up a new manual.  No great hurry, I guess.  I've got ~500 28's loaded up and they should last me a while.

Thanks,

Angus

2 hours ago, Doc Faraday, SASS #5749 said:

Reminder. Please do not post load data. Links to powder manufacture sites are okay.

thanks,

Doc

Didn't know about that, OK.  FWIW, both were from the Lyman 5th Edition.

Winchester's reloading data is now on Hodgdon's website. They show data for Win 572 in the AAHS 28 gauge, but that's it. Also, Claybuster includes loading info with their wads and will usually give it to you if you ask by email.

20 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

Winchester's reloading data is now on Hodgdon's website. They show data for Win 572 in the AAHS 28 gauge, but that's it. Also, Claybuster includes loading info with their wads and will usually give it to you if you ask by email.

I just rechecked that.  It shows the 572 for the 28 ga. AA HS but not the "old" 28 ga. AA's.  I guess that decides it for me.  I'll use the Universal until I run my old AA's into the ground and have to start loading the AA HS shells.  By that time they might have discontinued the 572 for something new.  :)  

Angus

On 8/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, Shotgun Clay said:

Didn't know about that, OK.  FWIW, both were from the Lyman 5th Edition.

Shotgun Clay,

Even if the data come from the book it cannot be posted. It's a rule here on the Wire. You can, however, say something like "ON page umpty-something of the ABC manual there is a nice load that I use with Univernique powder just a tad above min/mid range that I like". ;)

Have a great day...oh, and there is always PMs

Archived