SASS Wire Forum

Saturday night at the movies - westerns on YouTube

Warden Callaway

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I know. A lot of folks won't watch an old black and white movie let alone a silent movie but give this one a try.  It's not your typical old silent movie.  Lots of interesting action and comedy and a good stable quality picture. 

I enjoyed it. Here's a strange but good one. Also its the un-edited version. MT

On 8/21/2017 at 10:21 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Just came across this on TV. Not the best film but check out the "custom" gunstock at 23:09!

I guess no one was interested in this one as I think I accidentally found the most unlikely firearm (or part) in a western ever and no one noticed. 

HINT: It is WWII vintage.

You can find some gems on internetarchive.org too.  All stuff that has fallen into public domain.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:30 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I guess no one was interested in this one as I think I accidentally found the most unlikely firearm (or part) in a western ever and no one noticed. 

HINT: It is WWII vintage.

I've watched it several times over the years and not caught the unlikely firearm.   But often these old movies are just on and I'm doing other things and don't give them much attention. 

The gunsmith uses a stock from a bolt action Mouser type action to fit stock to customer.

Edited by Warden Callaway

On 9/16/2017 at 10:03 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Also has Slim Pickens

Amazing how one image can connect you to a totally different scene....

My first reaction was that Walter Goggins should be at the far end of the table, Raylen should be at the close end, and a blonde should be entering stage left with a shotgun......

LL

Here is a real stinker from the 70s.  Stars Christopher Walken and Margot Kidder. I don't know what's worse, the music,  the plot, the directing, the filming and editing.  It's not even spaghetti quality even though it was made in the USA.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:19 PM, Warden Callaway said:

They removed Cactus Jack Slade so here is Evil Roy Slade in its place

(Here is just a goofy fun movie. Kirk Douglas' last western.   In case it doesn't jump out at you,  it's a parity of the cartoon series Coyote and Roadrunner.  Arnold Schwarzenegger plays Handsome Stranger - wearing a costume like the Lone Ranger except no mask.  Ann Marriott plays Charming Jones.  Jack Elam and a dozen other characters we all know are in it.)

The Villain is the movie WC was referring to with Kirk Douglas as Cactus Jack Slade.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicFYknnQqk

Here is something different.  It's the first of a serial Gene Autry shorts that is science fiction.  It involves a culture that lives 20,000 feet below the surface.   This is just part one.  The rest can be found on YouTube if you decide you need to follow to the exciting conclusion. 

Here is a really good old Tom Mix silent movie.  It's of good quality and exciting.  Lots of shootouts, and action. Talk about bad guys.   The bad guy kidnaps a woman and her little girl,  shoots the husband in the back and leaves him for dead. Forces the woman to marry him, then arranges a crooked judge to have the kid adopted so to be rid of her.

Warden , one slow day here I watched both the Tom Mix and the George O'Brian "Riders of the Purple Sage". Like all things Hollywood , they drifted a bit from the novel , but enjoyed them anyway. Even the good one that Ed Harris and Amy Madigan did wandered a bit.

Thanks , Rex :D

15 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Saw that one a while back.  Kinda strange and yes, a couple pretty gruesomely suggestive scenes.

I've been trying to place this movie.  It looks to be more of a horror movie - just with a western veneer.  The bad guys were so gruesome to detach them from being human.   Maybe it was some politically correct ploy to avoid type casting Native Americans as bad guys? 

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've been trying to place this movie.  It looks to be more of a horror movie - just with a western veneer.  The bad guys were so gruesome to detach them from being human.   Maybe it was some politically correct ploy to avoid type casting Native Americans as bad guys? 

I tried thinkin deep like that once.  Made my head so I gave it up.  Probably Western Horror would fit.

Watched it for movie night with a (now ex) GF.  We both ended up thinkin "there's a couple hours that coulda been better spent.

Edited by Hardcase Hardin

Wallace Beery made a lot of movies including some really good westerns.   But most of them are not on YouTube.  Some I really like are, Bad Bascomb, 20 Mule Team, The Bad Man, The Bad Man of Brimstone, and Jackass Mail.

Brother of Noah Beery and uncle of Noah Beery Jr. 

Here is the pilot movie of the series Hec Ramsey played by Richard Boone.  Really good plot of an old school martial in the modern turn of the century setting.  I think they made some 12 in the series.  Unfortunately,  the others on YouTube are really bad quality with sound off and such.