SASS Wire Forum

Saturday night at the movies - westerns on YouTube

Warden Callaway

We watch a lot of westerns on YouTube.  Most are the old B westerns cranked out in the 30s and 40s.  But we often come across some real good westerns that are uploaded in pretty good quality.  I thought I'd share some I rub across. 

NOTE,  This move must not be in public domain as it has been removed from YouTube.   I'd watched it before and thought because it was always out that it was in public domain.   People just keep putting it back up.  This one will likely be removed too.  If it is,  I'll not replace it.

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 4

They removed Cactus Jack Slade so here is Evil Roy Slade in its place

(Here is just a goofy fun movie. Kirk Douglas' last western.   In case it doesn't jump out at you,  it's a parity of the cartoon series Coyote and Roadrunner.  Arnold Schwarzenegger plays Handsome Stranger - wearing a costume like the Lone Ranger except no mask.  Ann Marriott plays Charming Jones.  Jack Elam and a dozen other characters we all know are in it.)

• Like 1

Ready for a goldy-oldy?  Outcast of Poker Flats.

The big star is child actress Virginia Weidler.  She was a talented actor that made it big until her teenage years when she slipped from the number one spot by Sherley Temple.

The story of "The Tall Men" was loosely based on the first trail drive from Texas to Montana by Nelson Story (the real Nathan Stark) in 1866. Whether he had a trail boss similar to Clark Gable's "Ben Allison", and whether there was a "Nella", Story pushed a heard into the Gallatin Valley using 13 or so drovers.  Along the way, he armed them with Remington Rolling Block carbines, probably Split Breach rimfires, which were still capable of more firepower than most.  He encountered resistance from farmers who didn't want Texas cattle infecting their herds with tick fever, Sioux Indians under Red Cloud, and the Army which had closed the Bozeman Trail.  He made it to Montana, losing only one man in the process.  When I was stationed in Montana, back in the late '60's, Story's son or grandson (can't remember which) was still living in Bozeman.  I never met him, only heard tell of him.

Can't beat the movie, however!  Especially Jane Russell!  She'd make a dead man sit up and take notice! :D  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Here's the first Sam Elliot movie I ever seen. I was on HBO and they had back to back westerns on. First was The Quick And The Dead followed by Silverado. That was a good afternoon.

7 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

That is weird. The picture is a scene from the newer "True Grit".

I notice this a lot lately.   They'll have "thumbnail" pictures of some popular movie or actor and movie be something totally different.  Also,  they will string "John Wayne" or "Clint Eastwood" in the description to make you think they are in the movie.  And also to make them come up on a search.    Some are just saysing "great western" with no title or description.  

6 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I saw "Junior Bonner" back when it was new , was disappointed then , have seen it a couple of times since on TV , didn't improve any.

This is strictly my opinion , Rex :D

Yeah,  that's pretty much my review too.  It was a victim of movie marking of that era. But it had Ben Johnson and a bitchin' bar fight.

Here is a change up from the normal.  It's now a cult classic.   You'll love or hate it. You'll think it stupid or see the humor. But stick with it and you'll see every element of the classic B westerns. 

One western I looked forward for decades until finally the Western Channel showed it a few times, haven't seen it since, always looking to watch it again, and again. It's not, and never been available in DVD or Video tapes. But you can catch it on YouTube but have to pay a couple bucks to watch it.  Dana Andrews in "Three Hours to Kill".  If you get a chance, take a chance and watch it. MT

Here is a movie that's not really a "western" but is a story about small ranch life in the early 20th century.   It's a made for TV movie and not of grand scale.  The major draw is the cast.  Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara,  Jack Elam,  Ben Johnson, Rance Howard and Clint Howard. It was Maureen O'Hara's last performance until 1991 when she did Only the Lonely.  Clint Howard is younger brother of Ron Howard.  Rance is their dad.  Henry Fonda and Ben Johnson wear cowboy hats and get involved in a saloon fight.