SASS Wire Forum

Eclipse - what will it look like where you are?

Subdeacon Joe

Here in Central Florida, it rained this morning and has been cloudy off and on all day.  We're supposed to have a 90% occlusion here.  We'll see what happens when the time arrives.

Well we are a few minutes past totality, a bit disappointed.  Perfect weather for viewing, noticeable drop in temperature, but the sky remained blue, not gonna see any stars in my time-lapse video. Just did not get as dark as I expected.  But it was really cool to see that narrow sliver of the Sun for a few minutes.  Watching the NASA Channel on TV, neat seeing the corona.

Well,  I'm glad I didn't spend more than $2 for a pair of glasses.  The moon did totally block out the sun but it didn't get dark.  There was still a lot of light coming in on the horizon.   

Here is looking south from our front yard at full eclipse.  Neighbor down the valley set off fireworks.   The camera didn't pick up the colors.   It didn't cool off noticeably. 

Total blockage for about a minute and a half.

The picture I took looks like a comet or something. The sun was passing through a huge contrail.  There is a planet visible low and to the right.

IMG_2531.jpg

Clouds rolled in just before and you could see the sun veiled behind the clouds, not much to get excited about.

I remember in high school we looked at the sun thru exposed film in a science class, so I got out some exposed 35mm film strips. Doubled them up and WOW it was pretty spectacular. Got maybe 80/85% here in SW Colorado. Definitely got darker and cooler.

I did get a couple of neat pictures because of the eclipse. 599b78f93f4da_ShadowsbeforefulleclipseAug2017.jpg.90f1ef199fa8e1e07a3e016717d87ead.jpg

Here are shadows from the sun coming through the leaves on the concrete porch a few minutes before the total eclipse. 

599b790504478_ShadowsaftertotaleclipseAug2017.jpg.7a7b930dfd4248a0eb8b0ae23deff958.jpg

Here are the shadows a few minutes after the total eclipse.  Notice the crescent shapes go in opposite directions.

Archived