SASS Wire Forum

Eclipse - what will it look like where you are?

Subdeacon Joe

Around Denver and vicinity, some high, thin cirrus clouds.  Got about 92 percent, and I used a pinhole in a piece of paper projecting the image on a piece of cardboard.  Maximum lasted about 2 minutes.  Didn't get all that dark out.  Wonder what it would look like from the Moon...although the Moon would have to be in full phase (behind the Earth), rather than new phase.  Probably have an eclipse about every 28 days, depending on where you were on the lunar surface. 

NE Ohio.

80% occlusion predicted.

Didn't see it.

Thanks, clouds, I really appreciate your interference!

EDIT: Worked all 3 shifts in the same week, woke up foggy and addle headed, though the eclipse was on the 13th ... no wonder it wasn't visible, it hasn't happened yet ... I feel like a donkey ... a very tired donkey!

I'm at 99% in my backyard,  don't know if it's worth going up to Sedalia, Mo for the 100%. But, it's once in a lifetime event. 

If I stay at home I will see the total eclipse. My son-in-law's parents are coming up for the eclipse. They have all these plans for getting to some park south of Salem and dealing with traffic and all that jazz. I will sit in my yard.

That was cool, Joe.

At my house it'll be 99.7%. Some folks are going up to St. Joseph, MO which is an hour's drive north for the full 100%. I'm not gonna get stuck in traffic for .3%.  Planning to sit in a chair on my front lawn and have a Basil Hayden at 1:07 pm. If it's raining, I'll sip that indoors. :)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

At 13:00 on 20170821:

We are in 100% totality for 2 min 39 sec from our pasture.

Or 100% totality for 2 min 38 sec from our gun shop.

Or 100% totality for 2 min 37 sec from our house.

That's Table Rock, NE.  Come on over.  I have a few free glasses for SASS, NRA & Veterans [while they last].

Mustang

Let's hope it's not too cloudy.

Double tapped.  P on me.

Pretty much the same here.  Would have to drive south for a few hours to Columbia, SC to get rid of that sliver.  The traffic down there is predicted to be horrendous, hotels are booked up. So far the forecast is 60 percent chance of rain!  I'm staying right here.  There will be an excellent view on the TV.  They'll probably even stop blathering about polytiks for 30 sec. 

download.png

90% in my time zone. Saw one years ago when I was in Mn. Didn't last very long and it was just a partial eclipse. I think it lasted maybe 15 minutes at best. It was kind of like the sun was blocked out by rain clouds. I'll wait and watch it on the evening news; that will be the hot topic for the few days before and after.

96 % here in Winfield Kansas, ought to be interesting, I did hear that if scattered clouds block the view once the moon covers the sun the clouds will immediately dissipate due to some fancy phenom. that I cant pronounce!

A buddy by Cedar Rapids Iowa just sent me a message saying wife and kids had headed south to Kirksville, Missouri to see the eclipse.  They have been getting rain and more predicted.   He said half of Iowa was heading to Missouri to see the eclipse.   

I just looked at radar and there is a big thunderstorm over Kirksville.   ;)

70% here in Northeast Ohio and it's full sunshine today and oh yea, 92 degrees!!!

Pretty cool website Joe, thanks for that!!;)

Very few clouds here in Springfield, MO, looks like we got lucky!  :)

I have a camera set up to look at the north sky from my front yard.  Better photographers than me can capture good photos of the sun; I want to see if any stars show up in the north sky!

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Rain & thunderstorms in KC area earlier this morning, but as of now 11:51 CDST skies are clear. More rain forecast later today, but it just might hold off!

Be sure to pick up a lottery ticket if you luck holds!  ;)

Starting here. I stepped out with glasses on and looked at sun.  No eclipse showing but looked orange.  I pulled by glasses as I turned and just got a split second glimpse at sun.  I had an orange spot in my vision for about 20 minutes.  So be careful.   Getting darker.  

Archived