SASS Wire Forum

MARLIN Owners: good info to have

Widder, SASS #59054

This info might seem like an advertisement, but I just don't know a better way to share this info.

IF you shoot a MARLIN, a good many of us have had issues which, in part, are caused by the Extractor.

They're either to stiff or to loose.   The spring breaks or everything gets rusty or crude down in the Extractor hole.

AND, then there is the problem of having a broken Extractor and/or spring.   And right now, its sometimes a little difficult to get Remington/Marlin to sell and send parts.   Ain't saying impossible, but sometime difficult.   

And on top of all that, some of the older Extractors are extinct, although a new factory extractor can replace the older style.  But, you gotta find one first.

HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS:  Us Marlin owners now have 2 good sources we can readily get real good aftermarket Extractors for the Marlin 1894:

Slick McClade at:   slickmagicguns.com

Ranger Point Precision at:  Rangerpointstore.com

These are two different type Extractors that I have used and found SUPER reliable and seem to work great in my Marlins, including the .32 H&R Mag, which normally required a shim inside the Extractor hole just to help keep the factory Extractor from excessive movement.

The 1-piece  Extractor from Slick was designed similar to the factory, but its body width prevents movement and eliminates the need for the shim when used in the .32 H&R.   PLUS, its spring tension is, in my opinion, already set just right.......not to soft and not to stiff.

The NEW Extractor from Ranger Point Precision is an entirely new design for the 1894 Marlin.   It has a round body that fits just right inside the Extractor hole and uses a coil spring to 'pivot' the Extractor claw movement.   This is really a neat setup.

Our good Wire Pard Lumpy Gritz posted some info about it a short time back.

If you are a Marlin 1894 owner, whether it be an older model or newer model, you owe it to yourself to check out these Extractors.

Even if your present Extractor isn't broken, either of these would probably be a better Extractor than the factory style.

My .32's are my main match rifles.   I use the SLICK Extractor in one of them and a Ranger Point Precision Extractor in the other.   I think BOTH of them have made an improvement in the functional reliability and functional smoothness of my Marlins.

I think its great that we now have a couple good sources to help us keep our Marlins 'up to snuff'.

..........Widder

There are two ejectors for the older Marlins that are even harder to come by. And expensive if you find a used one. The old (pre-JM) Marlins took a short one with a bulb shape on the back end. The 1970s reintroduced has a flat spring folded double.  

The extractor is shorter on the early Marlins and the 1970s model had a folded spring.  I don't know if a modern extractor will fit the 1970s model or not. 

This video compares the early model ejector to the current model.

18 minutes ago, Coyote Kincaid said:

Do you find that there is less build up of fouling in the extractor hole with the RP? It looks like it fills the hope and would be beneficial to us BP shooters.

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

There are two ejectors for the older Marlins that are even harder to come by. And expensive if you find a used one. The old (pre-JM) Marlins took a short one with a bulb shape on the back end. The 1970s reintroduced has a flat spring folded double.  

The extractor is shorter on the early Marlins and the 1970s model had a folded spring.  I don't know if a modern extractor will fit the 1970s model or not. 

Howdy COYOTE:   I honesty don't know...yet.  The RPP is a unique design for the 1894 and considering I shoot .32 H&R's with 'Clean Shot' powder, which isn't very dirty, I honestly don't know how the RPP will handle crude accumulation.    For sure it won't allow more crude to accumulate, which is a good thing.

Howdy WARDEN:  I'm pretty sure the RPP Extractor will work great in the 70's model 1894's.    I've had to replace some of those 'folded spring' Extractors with the new style Extractors that were once available, and I had no issues with their interchangeability.   So my guess is that the RPP Extractor will work great for you.

..........Widder

I have the new RPP extractor in all 3 of our M/94's. The feeding has never been so smooth, and extraction has never been so consistent, no matter if it's the first round or the last.

Here is a post I made earlier, about this new extractor.

The big advantage is the fact the the claw and body are Electroless nickle plated.

OLG

Archived