SASS Wire Forum

Now that is shootin'

Red Cent

And can that horse move. Looks like he loves it.

1 minute ago, Mossy Pops said:

Wow, that would be a blast to see live!

We seen a demonstration of Mounted Shooting at a place close to my house a few years ago. Very neat and impressive. They do Mounted Shooting out in Wooster at the Fairgrounds I believe. 

Here is the club that shoots there:

http://www.nooutlaws.com/

42 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

We seen a demonstration of Mounted Shooting at a place close to my house a few years ago. Very neat and impressive. They do Mounted Shooting out in Wooster at the Fairgrounds I believe. 

Here is the club that shoots there:

http://www.nooutlaws.com/

Do spectators just show up to watch or do you need tickets?

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Mid Ohio Marauders is having a mounted shoot sometime in August @Cashman's in Delaware.

Thanks Grumpy. I had no idea a mounted club existed so close. Here's a link to their match flyer with times and location:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/5f86a608e5bd2928336a277503991e03?AccessKeyId=4CFF497B5C135B49CF93&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

9 hours ago, Mossy Pops said:

Do spectators just show up to watch or do you need tickets?

Not real sure. I would assume they would not charge spectators... but I don't know..

What I had watched was a demonstration at Family Fun Day event at a local farm... I haven't watched a regular match...

Remember the time that Buckshot Bowers fell out of the Fluffymobile running a mounted stage. He weren't watching for the curve :)  The Raid on Andersonville.

I would guess it takes a LOT of training for a horse to get use to a pistol being fired right next to his ears!

Or do they wear some kind of hearing protection?

Entertaining, that is for sure!

41 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I would guess it takes a LOT of training for a horse to get use to a pistol being fired right next to his ears!

Or do they wear some kind of hearing protection?

Entertaining, that is for sure!

We had talked to a few of the mounted shooters and they showed us actual ear plugs they put in their horses ears. No joke..

9 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

We had talked to a few of the mounted shooters and they showed us actual ear plugs they put in their horses ears. No joke..

Huh!  Who would have thought!  Gotta be the size of a golf ball! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Huh!  Who would have thought!  Gotta be the size of a golf ball! :lol:

They were like little bean bags or something.. 

They do it every year at eot it Friday Saturday and Sunday the last weekend of eot iirc. I used to photograph it regularly a few years back. 

They used to have Mounted Shooting at GOA, one year they had an ATV pulling a cart and they're were three shooters on it. Two sitting next to each other and one in the back. Each shooter got 5 balloons to shoot at except the guy in the back of the cart he only shot one that knocked down a target when the cart turned to come back for the second row of balloons. It "kinda" gave you an idea of what it was like to shoot while moving on a horse.

It was really neat to see the Mounted Shooters, they were awesome!;)

We have Cowboy Mounted Shooting at the MO State Fair every year.  Will be tomorrow, August 10th.  The Boy Scouts troop I work with has had the job of replacing all of the balloons for each rider in years past.  Those Scouts got a workout for sure.  Usually 75 - 90 riders every year.

Most of them shoot 45 caliber.  They have an armorer that provides the blanks.  No one is allowed to bring their own ammo.  

It takes almost as many people (read parents and siblings) as it does runners to blow up balloons, rack them and keep the runners organized.  

They use an air tank hooked up to special nozzles.  They have an 18 inch tube that has a matching receptacle on the end.  Slip the balloon over the other end that is open, push the other end over the nozzle, 2 sec later the balloon is big enough.  And they want the balloon to be a certain Size?  Too big and it might pop just getting it out there, too small and it's extra hard to hit.

The runners would run out into the arena, yank the old tubes out, drop in a tube with the fresh balloon and run to the next.  Usually 4 boys replacing 10 balloons and it was usually done in about 20-30 seconds.  Of course, the older, faster boys ran to the far end of the course.  Usually took 4 or 5 teams rotating each time.

Dr. O. R.

I have great respect for mounted shooters and their steeds.  First time I tried it in an arena I had a horse that spooked at the sound of the hammer being cocked and instantly went into full on rodeo mode. As he hit the ground from the first pinwheel I shot him (accidentally of course) and proceeded to ride it out for the next few seconds.  If Ridgetop Rich offers to let you shoot off his wife's horse . . .  don't do it!

Missouri State Fair info, they shoot this Friday. I was up there today setting up at another place near the arena

http://www.mostatefair.com/events/cowboy-mounted-shooting/

Archived