SASS Wire Forum

Lug soles

Hoss

I know this topic has likely been best to death. But the rule says lug or grip enhancing soles. 

Would these be considered lug or grip enhancing? 

Plain Justin boots with rubber type sole. 

IMG_0173.JPG

I think one reason this topic keeps coming up is because there’s confusion about why the rule exists in the first place. Is it to prevent a player from having an unfair advantage, or is it because it looks out of place costume-wise?

i dont understand why lugs are a problem, i mean wouldnt better traction and less chance of falling while holding a loaded firearm be a good thing? if period correct is the reason, why are we wearing plastic safety glasses and custom formed ear plugs?

I'm OK with the rule.  We don't want to look like tactical shooters.  I just had an RO1 refresher course with JM Brown, and his handling of the situation was if he's standing 10 feet away and he can't see lugs, the boot are OK.   That allows the patterns that come standard with most work boots or lacers.  There's plenty of grip there for safety.  I can't wear cowboy boots because of Morton's Neuroma in my left foot, so it's Lacers for me.  

The debate keeps coming up because it's not clear to everyone that this rule

Page 16 of the SHB:

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. ―NO Lug‖) soles.

applies to Classic Cowboy and B-Western, not SASS shooters as a whole.

1 hour ago, Ben Beam said:

I think one reason this topic keeps coming up is because there’s confusion about why the rule exists in the first place. Is it to prevent a player from having an unfair advantage, or is it because it looks out of place costume-wise?

Because it doesn't look appropriate for Classic Cowboy and B-Western (I assume).

19 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Page 16 of the SHB:

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. ―NO Lug‖) soles.

This; applies to Classic Cowboy and B-Western "ONLY", not SASS shooters as a whole.:)

"The debate keeps coming up because it's not clear to everyone that this rule

Page 16 of the SHB:

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. ―NO Lug‖) soles."

Chili Pepper Jack likes this

•  

This is an example of the definition of "LUG" sole (which is what is meant by "grip enhancing"):

Vibram-Lug-1440-M.png

BTW - There is NO "10-foot rule"...and "visible from the side" is not written into the rule as a determining factor.

To reiterate...this type of boot sole is ONLY forbidden in CC & BW categories.

Thanks PWB & others.  I felt they would be BW & CC legal, but was just curious. I don't shoot either of those categories, but just wanted to know.

JM Brown is a very respected shooter (Black Pin, World Champion Duelist, etc,) and he was giving a way to look at the boots for the specific categories with some common sense.  Close ups of any boot with a pattern in it will show small ripples in the edges.  They are not lugs.  Stand back a bit, and you can't tell.  Lug soles you can see.

8 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Another example of a LEGAL sole for ALL categories:

Ariat%20Dura-Tread%2070-30.jpg

That is the exact sole I have on a pair of Ariat Lacers and I was told by a "very high up" that they weren't legal. I'm gonna have to print out this thread.

42 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

JM Brown is a very respected shooter (Black Pin, World Champion Duelist, etc,) and he was giving a way to look at the boots for the specific categories with some common sense.  Close ups of any boot with a pattern in it will show small ripples in the edges.  They are not lugs.  Stand back a bit, and you can't tell.  Lug soles you can see.

No offense and with great respect for JM, but the RULE doesn't specify reliance on the visual acuity of the observer; nor does it take into account distance & ground conditions (deep dust, grass, gravel, or concrete?).

If I'm asked to check the sole of a CC or BW shooter's boots, I'll be looking at the actual bottom of the boot to make a determination.

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Page 16 of the SHB:

Shooters get this rule wrong all the time.  There is no lug rule except BW and CC categories.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

I know this topic has likely been best to death. But the rule says lug or grip enhancing soles. 

Would these be considered lug or grip enhancing? 

Plain Justin boots with rubber type sole. 

IMG_0173.JPG

Questionable in BW and CC categories likely, perfectly legal in all others.

Archived