SASS Wire Forum

which would you choose sig or beretta 22?

Trigger Mike

If you had a choice between carrying a Sig Sauer 1911-22 or a Beretta M9 -22 for your walking in the woods pistol or when on your tractor for snakes and such which would you carry?  I have never held the Beretta but have fired the Sig and it is a fine pistol, but the 5 extra rounds the Beretta carries is interesting.

I'd choose whichever fits your hand and hip and budget better.  

If one of their full-size cousins happens to be your carry gun, that should be factored in.

Also, semi-autos are sometimes finicky with 22LR shot cartridges.  I have no experience with either of those guns in particular, but none of my semi-autos, rifle or pistol, will feed them reliably.

Personally, I carry my J-frame with shot cartridges for walking around the farm.

I have owned and fired many .22 auto loaders. I no longer own one. Now, to be fair I have never owned or fired either one of those. But every one I have dealt with has favorite ammo and, as Charlie said, can be finicky with certain ammo. 

I trust revolvers. A revolver does not care which .22 round you fire and velocity and bullet weight factors are not an issue.

It's really frustrating to have spent hundreds of dollars on a pistol only to find its a Prima Donna regarding ammo.

How's this for a scenario. Snake, Bang, Miss, click, click, rack, bite, Ouch, bang, click, rack, 911...

I have tried snake shot in a 1911-22 and it is unreliable, but I was going to load it with copper hollow points .  Having said that, a 38 revolver does make more sense.  I was trying to justify buying the Beretta since it looks neat and my kids have a beretta pellet pistol so they would be used to it.  I should just buy the Kimber 357 revolver and load it with snake shot and not buy the 22 or I should learn to be content and just use what I already have.  

I have an idea. I am a S&W revolver fan in regards to non-CAS revolvers but I just love the concept of the new Ruger "LCRx" .22lr revolver. It's DA/SA (has a hammer), it's a tad over 17 ounces, has a 3" barrel and holds 8 rounds of 22, has adjustable sights. I haven't fired one but intend to soon.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5435.html

Something to consider BUT, I have read that the trigger pull isn't the greatest but those reviews were a couple of years old. A magazine article I just read in The Book of the Revolver gives it great reviews and raves about the trigger pull.

This may be a good gun for the kids to learn to shoot someday.

pix303234766.jpg

You would be hard pressed to beat this in the .22 pistol market! The Ruger is a proven piece, tough, reliable and accurate in most instances. My 4" 4 digit MKI still performs well, but the 22/45 with a Red Dot {magnified} shoots as good or better than my ability!

I haven't fired the SIG .22, but have experienced  other 1911 platform .22 pistols...... was less than impressed IMHO :) 

Pat Riot does exhibit good taste. S&W K frame in .22 are truly remarkable wheel guns!

1 minute ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

S&W model 317 or 63.  Both in .22 LR.  The 317 has an alloy frame and the 63 is stainless steel, both J frames.  Otherwise the same gun.  Pricey and sometimes hard to get, but both will shoot anything in .22 LR.  Corrosion is almost a non issue.

Dang, how did I forget to mention the 317?...Thanks Dawg Hair. They are hard to come by. At least where I am.

I got my 317 at a gun show.  Been looking for one for a long time.  Two tables down someone had a Model 63 for around 100 more.  Later on I wished I had picked up the 63.  The sights are better than the 317 and it is stainless.  Heavier but compared to the aluminum frame of the 317 the 63 is built like a tank.  Either way you can't go wrong.

For the intended purposes listed by Trigger Mike, I think the revolver should get your priority attention, especially for the snake medicine.

BUT, I've owned some Ruger pistols and they just didn't seem as reliable as some others have experienced.

I now own FOUR browning .22 semi-auto pistols.   Two of them are Buckmarks and function flawless with a variety of ammo.   Very accurate also.

And I own two of the Browning 1911-22's,   7/8th scale models.    Those little pistols are perfect in the pocket, as reliable as the Buckmarks, and just a sweet little pistol to shoot and plink with.    NO, they are not as accurate as the Buckmarks, but they are as reliable with all the different ammo I've shot.   They carry real good in my bluejean pocket when I'm on my riding mower.

Easy to clean but they don't seem to be 'dirty' sensitive.   I've shot a few hundred rounds thru both of them before cleaning, and both of them never seem to falter in function and reliability.

I like em so much, I have thought about getting another in their 2-tone configuration.

..........Widder

There are other .22 revolvers to consider: High Standard Double-Mine or Heritage, Charter Arms or Taurus.  Field guns can take a bearing.  

I recently bought a SP-101 .357 with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights for the same purpose that you described, except my concern is more for wild dogs than snakes.  I can walk around a snake.  A pack of dogs is a different matter.

My favorite Pistol in the World is my 1952 Smith & Wesson K .22 Combat Masterpiece.  Ruger .22 auto is great as are my 2 little Berettas Bobcat and Minx pocket pistols. The Smith just beats them all hands down for dependability and accuracy. 

S&W Combat.jpg

19 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

If you had a choice between carrying a Sig Sauer 1911-22 or a Beretta M9 -22 for your walking in the woods pistol or when on your tractor for snakes and such which would you carry?  I have never held the Beretta but have fired the Sig and it is a fine pistol, but the 5 extra rounds the Beretta carries is interesting.

So... to get back to the original question...

IF your choice was limited to THESE TWO pistols only... choice?   :)

the 1911 grip is much better than the Beretta and so between the 2 I will keep the Sig 1911-22,.  as for the rest I plan on going to town and see if I can trade for a revolver . snake shot from the height in a tractor in a 22 revolver would be too weak and spread too far.  maybe a 38 or the ruger 9mm revolver i was asking about the other day

Howdy,

A snake or tractor gun? You want to know what a REAL farmer carried?

A ruger single six in 22 magnum.  He threw it in the tool box on the tractor and carried it

there for years.  When he retired he sold it to a friend who sent it to ruger for

the conversion and REBLUE.  It came back a totally magnificent deep blue.

And the friend wouldn't even shoot it, it was that pretty.

Today we have way more choices but a 22 mag single action is still a fair choice, no?

Given the choice how about a Ruger lcr in 9mm?

Five shots and the speed of full moon clip reloads.

Shot shells should work fine, and darn near any bullet on the market is in 9mm.

And I bet 9mm could be reloaded cheaper than shooting most any .22 rf.

That being said, the only snake I ever shot was a wounded rattler.

My ruger mkII  loaded with stingers finished him quick.

and no I didn't wound him, a younger member of the group did.

He was so excited all his marksmanship training just went away......

Best

CR

Archived