SASS Wire Forum

Question for. Training setup

Blackey Cole

I have several lasers from several sources And a few targets for them.   Problem is they are roughly 1.5" in size if I recall correctly. I'm wonder at what distance to set these so that it is equivalent of a 16' target at 15 yards.then would also need a conversion of a foot at same distance for spacing targets I guess I could calculate that myself if I had too.buti tried so math I thought I remembered from algebra but I couldn't done it c orrectlu as it wasalmst touching the barrel.

did it using cross products

1.5"  =  16ft         X is distance to target for 1.5" target

X        15 yds    = sign should be in middle but can't get it to do that on computer

convert everything to inches

You can say this as, " 1.5 is to X as 192 is to 540"

1.5  =  192 

X        540   now we're looking at oranges vs. oranges

cross multiply

192X  = 1.5 x 540   capital X is unknown, don't get lower case x (multiply operation confused)

multiply right side together

192X  =  810

divide both sides by 192

192X  =  810

192       192

results with X = 4.2 inches as we converted everything to inches a couple of steps ago

if you what to check plug in 4.2 to equation where everything is converted to inches

1.5  =  192

4.2      540

divide numerator (top) by denominator (bottom) or other way around just so long as you do the same on both sides:

left side gives you .357

right side =  .355    

these numbers are arbitrary it is just a check; if both come out same (or close in our case as we rounded to nearest 1/1000) then 4.2 inches is correct

which means 1.5" targets need to be 4.2" from barrel of your gun

Archived