SASS Wire Forum

Let's be the Match Director

8 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We seem to shoot a lot slower than you folks. Not enough practice.

That said: We try to get started before 9:00 to 9:30; three stages before a lunch break, 1/2 hour for lunch and then the last two stages.

Our gang up here in Canada is older and we don't handle the heat too well.

What heat?  You call that heat!  Down here in Virginia it may be hot but at least it's humid :o

5 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

What heat?  You call that heat!  Down here in Virginia it may be hot but at least it's humid :o

We be Canadians. Snow and ice is in our blood and we start complaining about the heat just a bit above freezing.:D

You do know what they say about Canadian weather doncha?

"Six months good sledding. Six months poor sledding"

Anything over 75 is hot to us.

This weekend in Las Vegas, it will be 110 on the range.  And lucky us, humid as well, because of a western storm passing thru.

Saturday, we will be on the range at 6:30am.

Set three bays of steel (two stages on each bay - 6 stages Saturday and 6 different stages Sunday).

Do match sign ups from 7-8 am.

Safety meeting and pledge at 8 am.

Six stages of match.

And be heading for lunch or home by 11 -11:30.

Speed and complexity of stages play a factor as well. 

Our monthly matches (especially warm weather monthlies) are generally two shooting positions, set big and fast. 

Sunday same schedule (minus set up, steel stays out overnight), match complete by 11:30, steel torn down, put away and the range raked and all the splatter divots filled in by 1:00.

Then home for a shower, lunch and a nap.

Two posses trying to split the known good workers between as well as the black powder shooters.  Some of the older guys and girls in hot and humid need to have longer breaks and the bp people will be cleaning between stages.  Try to run two scenarios with each target set up.  Also stagger the start, say posse1 on stage one posse 2 on stage 5.

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

But-That is not how the question was presented.

I stand by my reply. Heck-just RTDM(read the dang manual)will explain it.

Respectfully,

OLG

The Original Lumpy Gritz:

I'm sure that PaleWolf would appreciate it if everyone that posts these type of questions on the WIRE would do the same, that way he wouldn't have to keep stepping in and quoting the page and paragraph of the " dang manual". ROI covers the Match Positions & Roles, and ROII covers safety issues, and duties of the CRO and TO. As they relate to how Posses are formed, and set up of stages in summer heat and humidity, these are not addressed, and THUS the OP questions. 

These are designed to be insightful questions that get the "juices flowing" and allow Members of other Clubs to join in the conversation and provide input that others may have not thought of. I know I've learned a lot from the posts of others.

The SASS WIRE is comprised of a vast number of Members from different cultures, geographical regions, personalities, etc. which makes open discussion a lively read for most.

There is always something NEW to learn on the WIRE that cannot come directly from "RTDM".

12 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Kit,

Keep asking your questions.

Yes, these are all things you will learn over time, participation and taking RO classes - but you can only shoot X number of matches a month.

The WIRE offers everyone the opportunity to use M-F for learning and sharing as well as weekend match time.

If you are ever in doubt about an issue - I am always at your service.

Creeker:

I tried to LIKE your post multiple times; however, I kept getting a message that said " Only 1 LIKE per POST; however, multiple attempts to LIKE the same POST will be sent telepathically. "

Hope you got them. :D

My home club frequently hits 20 shooters on the nose. Our official policy is to split posses at 20, but it sure makes it rough. Once we had exactly 20, so put it to a vote, voted for 1 posse. then 1/2 way thru the first stage 2 more shooters showed up, so we split then. talk about a mess!

Moral of the story: Shooters, get to match plenty early to allow the MD time to set up posses!

12 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

When a person is trying to learn and understand something new they need to participate in ALL facets of that endeavor. For our sport I mean spot, pick brass, help with registration, help with set up and take down, man the unloading table etc. The best way to LEARN is by doing and participating. This way you learn why decisions are made, why posse sizes are established, why posse marshals are chosen and what the responsibilities of a match director entail plus a whole lot more. Although a person can get information and varied answers from a forum like this, the best way to LEARN is to truly take part in all facets of a match. Don't stand on the sidelines filming or what ever, get your hands dirty and participate fully and contribute. This is the best way to learn. Read the hand books - take the courses - talk 1 on 1 with folks to get answers directly related to the circumstance you do not understand WHEN THEY HAPPEN. Learn by doing - it's not that hard nor complicated. Plus, fellow shooters will be more willing to accept, respect and trust someone who pitches in. 

Just my two bits

Too Tall Bob:

These are all great suggestions and I'm glad you posted them here.

The assumption might be that I have done none of this, which is the contrary.

Before I even had my firearms and equipment, I was talking to the Posse Members and getting their opinions and suggestions.

Before I even started shooting, I helped set up the stages for a match to learn more about that aspect of the process.

Once I started shooting, I always either pick up brass, man the Loading or Unloading Table and spot for other shooters. Most of the time I do a multitude of these within a single stage, and I still do these duties at any match I shoot in.

And all my videos were filmed by my wife.

Hi Kit,

I put together posses at the club where I am an officer and I agree with most of the answers here.

However, nothing is written in stone. It is dependent on the weather (more inclement, hot or cold, or less) and the specific individuals (skilled, experienced, or not) who show up for a match.

Most of our matches only have two posses (there are two other nearby matches that weekend). One of my favorite PMs is uncomfortable with small posses. The other has no problems with small posses. I'm afraid to say more; but, there are other factors (best unwritten) that factor in the decision about how to divide (in numbers and specific individuals) the posses. Then, there are the special requests ("please posse with" and "don't posse with") that must be considered.

The intent of my post is to convey that you may not have every question answered fully on line. Some things are better conveyed orally or not at all :o. As a new shooter, just leave posse selection to the people who know the group and individual skills.

Regards,

Allie

2 posses. start on 1 and 4. We shoot many matches under Hot and Humid conditions. one shooter, one TO, three spotters, three at the loading table, one unloading and one watching him? That is just too much stress for some of the older shooters. The thought that shooting quicker is better may work for a few, but could be hard for others. 

9 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

The Original Lumpy Gritz:

I'm sure that PaleWolf would appreciate it if everyone that posts these type of questions on the WIRE would do the same, that way he wouldn't have to keep stepping in and quoting the page and paragraph of the " dang manual". ROI covers the Match Positions & Roles, and ROII covers safety issues, and duties of the CRO and TO. As they relate to how Posses are formed, and set up of stages in summer heat and humidity, these are not addressed, and THUS the OP questions. 

These are designed to be insightful questions that get the "juices flowing" and allow Members of other Clubs to join in the conversation and provide input that others may have not thought of. I know I've learned a lot from the posts of others.

The SASS WIRE is comprised of a vast number of Members from different cultures, geographical regions, personalities, etc. which makes open discussion a lively read for most.

There is always something NEW to learn on the WIRE that cannot come directly from "RTDM".

Put some more matches under your belt, and you'll see more and more of why things are, the way they are.

Look at your first 2-3 yrs in SASS, as you would any apprenticeship. ;)

World wide, SASS is run under the same rules. That's why you will hear the term 'RTM'(read the FREE manual)when you are not sure.

Being advised to RTM, is not an insult-It's a guide & learning tool, that was created for a reason.........

I freely admit that there are times when a rule clarification is needed. Thank God, we have PWB for that!

OLG

Archived