SASS Wire Forum

Side Match Long Range Rifle Events

Ace Hanlon

Considering getting into Long Range Side Match Events.  Equipment I would be using is Uberti 1885 High Wall in 45/70 caliber with double set trigger and 30" barrel.  Looked at the rules but could find nothing about the use shooting sticks and/or approved shooting sticks.  I have never attended a long range side match so any suggestions on shooting sticks or anything else would be helpful. Thanks

Each clubs side matches are different, some depending on their range and surroundings.  I have shot at several and have several sets of sticks, but have only had one club where I could use them.

SASS has NO official regulations about the design or size of shooting sticks for long range matches. Most here in the West allow them. I see everything from NRA legal(like mine) to giant versions of bench sticks that are staked to the ground.  Most clubs that I have seen that allow sticks like to see something that is at least similar to typically seen sticks.

I have 2 sets of sticks, one for table mount, another that can use standing or sitting in a tall director type folding chair. Both are wood/leather. while no official SASS rule exists, I've never seen a modern. telescoping stick used.

At many events, folks will allow you to use theirs.

My first set was pretty simple.  I bought two 30" 1" x 1/2 pine boards from Home Depot - two long 1/4 wood screws and a bolt and wing nut.  Drilled a hole in the end of each rod and put the screw in and cut the end off and ground it to a point.  Drilled multiple holes(so as to have some adjustment) in each "stick" and bolted the two together.  To protect the stock of the rifle I glued a couple of strips of leather to the "v" groove area formed.  Total cost was maybe $5. 

Archived