SASS Wire Forum

National Park Service lifetime pass $ increasing!

Dungannon Gunner

For those 62 and older............     The National Park Service lifetime pass sells for $10.00     However effective August 27th it will increase to $80.   If interested you might want to join VERY SOON.....

Thanks for the heads up, just went online an ordered mine. Website says due to tremendous increase in orders it could take up to 12 weeks or more to receive the pass.

I almost got one by accident a couple of years ago at the Little Big Horn.  It was off season and early in the morning and we were the 1st ones in the parking lot.  A park ranger drove by and parked a little further up from us.  My wife and I went into the Interpretive Center  and the guy at the desk asked us if we were seniors and if we had a park pass .  We replied yes we were seniors but didn't have a pass. He asked if we wanted one for only $10. We said yes, and he started filling out some form.  The park ranger that we saw outside came in and saw that we were getting a park pass, asked us if we were the ones with the Alberta licence plate?  Yes, we were and, he said that the park passes were only for American citizens.  What confused the guy behind the counter was that we were white, spoke English, and I was wearing a cowboy hat, long sleeved shirt, jeans, bullet stopping belt buckle and cowboy boots.  He just assumed we were Americans.

The following year, dressed basically the same, we were at Fort Laramie and when we went into the interpretive center, the lady park ranger asked us if we were seniors, and we replied yes we were.  She ask if we had the park pass.  My wife replied that we were not Americans.  The ranger kind of did a double take and said, "But...you look like Americans, you talk like Americans."  What is that old saying of Abe Lincoln, you can fool some of the people............

Having said that, that is quite a jump from $10. to $80.

The Park Service is woefully underfunded. Has been for years. :angry:

It's amazing that they do so much with so little.

I got the pass a few years back and use it often; it works on all Federal lands, and I mostly use it at Forest Service trailheads and campgrounds.

I'm glad they are raising the price. $10 for a lifetime, while great, is too low. They need the money.

There's a real irony in this senior stuff. I could have used these discounts a lot more as a young dad with a family, and so could my kids with theirs. They have it backwards, I think.

Your counsel is wise and I thank you for it.

Mine's in process.

Archived