SASS Wire Forum

Question for the Frontiersman

July Smith

I am anxiously awaiting the return of a pair of C&B revolvers from Goon's Gun Works.  Really looking forward to shooting in the Frontiersman class and had a few questions.  When and where do you load your percussion revolvers?  I assume all loading and capping should be done at the loading table for safety reasons.  I was just wondering if it was alright to pre-load the cylinders either off of or on the gun and then simply wait to cap the nipples at the load table?

Then at the unloading table, what is the proper way to verify that the revolvers are empty?  Simply spin the cylinders to show un-capped nipples?  Or is a visual check of the cylinders necessary?

I tend to try to work the unloading table when shooting Frontiersman. That way I can still do posse chores and reload the pistols between shooters. As long as your cylinders are uncapped they are considered "unloaded". Some people will load their cylinders at their shooting cart. Almost no one I know who shooting Frontiersman will load the cylinders at the loading table as it clutters the table and really slows down the line. 

That is exactly how you may do it. The revolver is not considered "loaded" until caps are in place. Many will watch the unloading table as they refill their the cylinder. Some will load on the back of their gun cart, setting up a little table. Others may go to an unused stage and load on that table. Just wait until you are at the loading table for the stage you are about to shoot to cap, then cap the revolver and load rifle at that point.

July:

Welcome to a great and fun class to shoot, Frontiersman. I have been trying it for the past year myself and really enjoy the challenge that it offers when you can see the targets :)

Capping of the cylinders MUST be done at the loading table. Once capped the guns are treated the same as a loaded cartridge gun, must be left on the loading table if you walk away etc.

Loading of the cylinder can be done anywhere. You may remove the cylinders or leave them in the gun and load powder(black or sub like APP), wad (if used) and ball. It could be done at the loading table but I suspect is not the best as will tie up the always seemingly limited space. Many will after a stage load while manning the unloading table and thus help with posse duties and load at the same time. Myself I do not do it this way as I can be distracted and have heard of too many stories of Frontiersmen without powder in their guns or other mental roadblocks that made for a bad loading

Enjoy

At the unloading table make sure there are no spent caps on the nipples.  I slowly rotate the cylinder and show unloading table officer and myself that the nipples are clear.

If you go to the loading table and you have a spent cap on your gun it is the same as having an empty shell in your cartridge gun.  Penalty from previous stage.

Saw a top frontiersman call it on himself.

Good advice from experienced Frontiersmen above!  Now for something that may not have occurred  to you.

Eventually you will experience a misfire...cap goes pop but powder fails to ignite.  You are allowed to recap the offending chamber at the line on the clock if you wish, but most of us don't want to take that much time (unless a clean match is really really important to you!).  Watch the 170 degree rule while you do it. 

But assuming you choose not to recap on the line, what then?  Clear your guns at the unloading table, use a nipple pick to make sure the nipple vent on the charged chamber is clear, and then ask the TO for permission to return to the stage in order to recap and fire the shot to clear the chamber for a fresh load.  If you were to fire the shot from the Unloading Table, even if you got permission to do so, you would get a Match Disqualification.  No match official can give you permission to violate a rule.   If an inexperienced TO says you can do it at the Unloading Table, insist on returning to the shooting line to clear the chamber, because a more informed shooter will call you on it.  I learned my lesson the hard way!  ;)

"13. A shooter shall not cock any revolver until the firearm is pointed safely down range. While on the firing line, any discharge of any firearm impacting within ten-feet of the shooter is unsafe and will result in disqualification from the stage or, if less than five feet, from the match. Any discharge away from the actual firing line shall result in a Match Disqualification. "   ....page 24, Shooter's Handbook.

"Any discharge that hits the ground or stage prop less than five feet from the shooter, any discharge at the loading or unloading areas, or discharge that is deemed unsafe . Note: Exception for declared expendable props." ...Page 27, ROI, review of MDQs.

I like to load the cylinders at my cart, used to man the unloading table until I got distracted and shoved a ball in the unpowered hole! now I do all loading at the cart then take over posse duties, you can get to where you can load both cap guns in 10-15 min. I run the timer, spot etc. Cap at loading table.

Rafe

I recommend taking them to a range and develop a standard loading method.  Load and shoot the revolvers until they quit firing reliably and/or the cylinder binds.  That way you will know how many stages you can shoot without maintenance.  Nipples may need cleaning during a match and the cylinder removed and wiped down.  During a match I prefer a TO who shoots cap 'n ball revolvers.  TOs not familiar with them may call a cease fire when you have a cap-only ignition thinking you had a squib.

Then at the unloading table, what is the proper way to verify that the revolvers are empty?  Simply spin the cylinders to show un-capped nipples?  Or is a visual check of the cylinders necessary?

Remove the nipple on the cylinder for the 6th throat or do not cap the 6th nipple.  Spin the cylinder and show the LO that the hammer is down on an empty chamber with the hammer on the uncapped nipple or the empty hole

If you ever decide to put a conversion cylinder in the revolvers for centerfire cartridges - paint the empty cylinder nipple with white paint - easily seen by the LO because these cylinders have a very small space between the cylinder end and the throat of the barrel 

The best lube to use on the revolvers when they start to bind at a match or cleaning after the match is Lehigh Valley Lube and Cleaner ... https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/156/1/LUBE-LEHIGH

I try to use a load or unload table from a previous stage if available. Some clubs have safe areas between stages to work on guns.

I don't like to man the unload table to load my cylinders. I have a set routine when loading and find that curious good willed people like to talk with me which tends to interrupt my routine/train of thought leading to making mistakes, such as missing a powder charge.  Statement from experience...

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Good advice from experienced Frontiersmen above!  Now for something that may not have occurred  to you.

Eventually you will experience a misfire...cap goes pop but powder fails to ignite.  You are allowed to recap the offending chamber at the line on the clock if you wish, but most of us don't want to take that much time (unless a clean match is really really important to you!).  Watch the 170 degree rule while you do it. 

But assuming you choose not to recap on the line, what then?  Clear your guns at the unloading table, use a nipple pick to make sure the nipple vent on the charged chamber is clear, and then ask the TO for permission to return to the stage in order to recap and fire the shot to clear the chamber for a fresh load.  If you were to fire the shot from the Unloading Table, even if you got permission to do so, you would get a Match Disqualification.  No match official can give you permission to violate a rule.   If an inexperienced TO says you can do it at the Unloading Table, insist on returning to the shooting line to clear the chamber, because a more informed shooter will call you on it.  I learned my lesson the hard way!  ;)

"13. A shooter shall not cock any revolver until the firearm is pointed safely down range. While on the firing line, any discharge of any firearm impacting within ten-feet of the shooter is unsafe and will result in disqualification from the stage or, if less than five feet, from the match. Any discharge away from the actual firing line shall result in a Match Disqualification. "   ....page 24, Shooter's Handbook.

"Any discharge that hits the ground or stage prop less than five feet from the shooter, any discharge at the loading or unloading areas, or discharge that is deemed unsafe . Note: Exception for declared expendable props." ...Page 27, ROI, review of MDQs.

How to handle a misfire is something I didn't even think about!  Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, July Smith said:

How to handle a misfire is something I didn't even think about!  Thank you! 

Just wait til you get a hot cap fragment between your hand and the grip ! :o:lol:

You will enjoy shooting Frontiersman with your revolvers that have been tuned by Goons Gun Works. I shoot two revolvers from him and they work great. I bought screw protectors , the red ones, from a hardware store and cut them in half and placed on a nipple to mark the uncharged cylinder . They are easy to see which cylinder is not charged. Welcome to Frontiersman catagory and enjoy . Once you have your loading technique mastered reloading does not take that long. I load at my cart as to not be interrupted .

20 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Just wait til you get a hot cap fragment between your hand and the grip ! :o:lol:

Had that happen at the range before.  Hopefully the pin that Mr. Brackett installs will prevent that.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Had that happen at the range before.  Hopefully the pin that Mr. Brackett installs will prevent that.

Sorry to inform but the pin does nothing to stop hot cap fragments from ending up between gun frame and your hand.  In fact the pin will help keep the fragments out of the inner workings and help them exit out the cut in the standing breech into your right (only) hand! If this in fact happens, grip the gun evermore tightly and embrace the pain. Eventually you may develop a nice callous, but for now just show your scars proudly!

The one alternative is shoot left hand only.

Welcome to the best frustrating fun you can have shooting a handgun!

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

Or have cap fragments fall into your rifle and jam up the works!!

I load at the unloading table or at a safe table

If you plan on loading off the shooting line at an unfamiliar club, ask permission from the match director to do so

Some clubs will not let you load behind the firing line

--Dawg

6 hours ago, July Smith said:

Some of the spent caps will remain on the nipples as well as unfired/dud caps, so the procedure at the unloading table is the same as for a cartridge gun. Remove any caps/fragments from the nipples and show the unloading table officer the clear nipples, same as you would show empty holes at the loading gate.

2 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I load at the unloading table or at a safe table

If you plan on loading off the shooting line at an unfamiliar club, ask permission from the match director to do so

Some clubs will not let you load behind the firing line

--Dawg

Please note this caveat from Dawg. Most places you will be fine, but it is best to check firstMost places you will be fine, but it is best to check first

CR

I also used the ult and charge the gun there then cap at the lt just like you would load the revolvers the so hammer down on uncapped nipple by showing uncapped nipple then rotating it under the hammer and lowering the hammer that's the only difference from shooting cartridge revolvers 

4 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

... I bought screw protectors , the red ones, from a hardware store and cut them in half and placed on a nipple to mark the uncharged cylinder . They are easy to see which cylinder is not charged. ...

I had not thought of that!  I leave one nipple a factory black nipple and it's easy to spot next to the stainless Slix-Shot nipples.

12 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

And please dont leave your spent caps all over the load tables. They are sharp and scratch my guns. Have fun!

+1

I shoot cap guns on occasion so that's one of my self appointed duties when I watch the ULT, to clean rocks, caps & junk off the table between shooters..

SASS rules allow you to charge, (loading powder, ball, & wad or grease cookie) all six chambers, but @ the loading table you may only cap 5.  Some ranges do not allow all six chambers to be charged.  Check your local club first.  Some folks advise against it, citing the potential of a chain fire.  I've been charging all six at SASS matches for 30 years, never had a chain fire... might have one at my next match, but the odds seem to be against it.  I have, on occasion, found that the sixth charged chamber has enabled me to get five rounds off to complete a stage...  I normally cap with a "snail capper", but carry an in-line in a vest pocket to facilitate a reload on the clock.

This is also how the Frontiersman handles that one round reload during stages employing such.  Another thing to add to your practice schedule... if you participate in such shenanigans!   Some ranges will require you to stage a 3rd revolver where the reload needs to be fired, but it must be capped on the clock.  (Those that don't allow charging six chambers).

Don't let those suppository shooters make fun of ya... they're just envious of real MEN!

12 hours ago, Griff said:

I've been charging all six at SASS matches for 30 years, never had a chain fire... might have one at my next match, but the odds seem to be against it.

I always told I had better chance of hitting lotto than getting a chain fire...........had a chain fire a few weeks ago.....still waiting to hit lotto.

5 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Had my1st and only chain fire last year! makes you take notice for sure, will never load all chambers again, I'll just take the miss!

Rafe

Kinda freaky.........mine sounded like a double tap....but instead of 'pew pew'....it was 'BOOM BOOM'.......too bad the target sequence wasn't double taps.

I have had a couple of chain fires and they will get your attention. Two times I found a invisible Crack in the cylinder that caused a chain fire. If the stage calls for a revolver reload a Frontiersman  is allowed to cap the sixth nipple before firing the revolver to be safe.  I never load six chambers unless the stage requires a reload. I am much happier to be on the safe side but if you feel comfortable loading all of them go for it. DC

7 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

If the stage calls for a revolver reload a Frontiersman  is allowed to cap the sixth nipple before firing the revolver to be safe.  

For the sake of clarity I'm compelled to mention the 6th chamber can only be capped on the clock on the firing line, as opposed to the loading table.

Another option is to stage another pistol with the chamber loaded, but it still must be capped on the firing line with the timer running.

Ythe ranges where they do revolver reloads and do not allow charging of the sixth chamber and require a third gun. Staged uuncappped,does. The range/club proovide the third. Gun,post. This ahead. Of time and if an annual match is it on the application so the frontiersman know they will need a third gun for thr match and can prepare for it.  Or do they spring it onthe shooters. And especially on the first day of a match you have another frontiersman on your possesoyoucanloaneacha gun.this is the one area where I only have to cap and ball guns ifrequireda third gun in my cartridge category I can choice from several and it might even be the same caliber depending on what caliber I am shooting even haves&wclones for five ssshot reload butiwouldnt be in classic. Cowboy for thaaat match.

19 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

For the sake of clarity I'm compelled to mention the 6th chamber can only be capped on the clock on the firing line, as opposed to the loading table.

Another option is to stage another pistol with the chamber loaded, but it still must be capped on the firing line with the timer running.

I failed to mention capped on the firing line. Thanks for adding. DC

14 hours ago, Blackey Cole said:

Ythe ranges where they do revolver reloads and do not allow charging of the sixth chamber and require a third gun. Staged uuncappped,does. The range/club proovide the third. Gun,post. This ahead. Of time and if an annual match is it on the application so the frontiersman know they will need a third gun for thr match and can prepare for it.  Or do they spring it onthe shooters. And especially on the first day of a match you have another frontiersman on your possesoyoucanloaneacha gun.this is the one area where I only have to cap and ball guns ifrequireda third gun in my cartridge category I can choice from several and it might even be the same caliber depending on what caliber I am shooting even haves&wclones for five ssshot reload butiwouldnt be in classic. Cowboy for thaaat match.

Blackey, I'm going to start a go fund me to buy you a spell check program and install it on you computer. 

Archived