SASS Wire Forum

MEC 600 Jr., Mark V

Dabster Dave

I am brand new to reloading and have a MEC Jr shotshell reloaded.  At the last match my wife was talking about her shoulder starting to bruise from the shotgun recoil, when someone offered her to try their "light load" 12 gauge shells.  She really liked the difference in recoil, so I thought I would give it a try.  I have a Lyman reloading manual, but it doesn't say anything about cowboy loads, and I have a #29 powder bushing in the MEC.  I'm looking for insight into what bushing to use in the MEC and if there is a good Cowboy reloading manual I could purchase.  

Thanks,

Dabster Dave

Here is some good info about bushings and powder weights.

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/content/images/document/PowderBushingChart.pdf

I like Clays or Clay Dot.  Reddot is another good choice.  You need a couple sizes smaller than the 29 to meet your wife's desire.

It is always best to weigh the chage to be sure as powders do vary a little from batch to batch.

I like the lightest 7/8 oz load Alliant publishes for Extra-Lite.  You can get the charge weight and bushing size online.  However, this load has more recoil than Winchester AA low noise, low recoil shotgun shells.  Unfortunately the powder for these shells is no longer sold to hand loaders.  However you can buy these shells and get a $2 a box rebate.  My wife will only shoot low noise, low recoil shells when shooting smokeless loads.  Yesterday a local CAS club held a new shooters clinic for ladies.  Twenty ladies attended.  I supplied a case of low noise, low recoil shotgun shells for the clinic.  Not one lady complained about the recoil of the shotgun.  I recommend these for your wife.

Smokeless powder shotshell recipes must be followed exactly to avoid dangerous pressures.  Black powder is more forgiving.  If you ever want to play with black powder shotshells send me a PM and we can talk.  They can be loaded down to very light levels.

edit:  I failed to mention I load on a MEC 600 Jr. too,

First off-Buy this. Don't waste $$$ on the bushings.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Universal-Charge-Bar-C-single-stage-w_Powder-Baffle/productinfo/2100001/

The MEC bushings NEVER throw the weight stated in their chart. BTDT

If you want a 12ga load using 1oz of shot that has less recoil than WW Featherlites do. PM me, it uses Unique powder.

I say the above, as someone who has run a 600jr since 1978.

OLG

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I like the lightest 7/8 oz load Alliant publishes for Extra-Lite.  You can get the charge weight and bushing size online.  However, this load has more recoil than Winchester AA low noise, low recoil shotgun shells.  Unfortunately the powder for these shells is no longer sold to hand loaders.  However you can buy these shells and get a $2 a box rebate.  My wife will only shoot low noise, low recoil shells when shooting smokeless loads.  Yesterday a local CAS club held a new shooters clinic for ladies.  Twenty ladies attended.  I supplied a case of low noise, low recoil shotgun shells for the clinic.  Not one lady complained about the recoil of the shotgun.  I recommend these for your wife.

Heck, those are what I shoot.
I, too, am just starting out to load shotshells.  
I like learning new stuff.
Flint

Thanks for all the PM's and replies, lots of help.  I'm still looking for a good CAS reloading manual.

Dabster

4 hours ago, Flint N. Steele said:

Heck, those are what I shoot.
I, too, am just starting out to load shotshells.  
I like learning new stuff.
Flint

Yeah, me too.  I just hate it that when I find out new stuff, it costs me more money!  Now I need to buy one of those universal charge bars, thanks to OLG!;)

1 hour ago, Dabster Dave said:

Thanks for all the PM's and replies, lots of help.  I'm still looking for a good CAS reloading manual.

Dabster

Here's metallic case data.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwjXgZyRjbLVAhVj2oMKHdyLCLMQFghCMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.castpics.net%2FLoadData%2FFreebies%2FRM%2FHodgdon%2FHogdgon%20Cowboy%2003.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFaEx3z5fr1Nszqqutf_Gi3wAtZWQ

53 minutes ago, Dabster Dave said:

Dabster

Hodgdon Powder Company used to have a booklet listing loads for cowboy action shooting using their powders.  You might contact them and see if they have a copy.

https://www.hodgdon.com/company/contact-us/

Dabster Dave On your info you stated your using charge bar 302  over 118 w/ 29 bushing. That 118 denotes 1 1/8 oz of shot.  Plus grey wads????.

Use a Bar 302 over 100 (1oz) with #23 bushing, along with 1oz wad. I use pink wad for my 1oz shot.

I don't want to get Technical on the wire. Do hope this helps. Lumpy Grits info is good along with  other above cowboys.

I also use reclaimed shot.

JRJ

1 hour ago, Dabster Dave said:

Dabster

Three manuals I like are Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Meister Bullets, Inc. Reloading Manual for Cowboy Action Shooting, and Laser-Cast Reloading Manual.

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

First off-Buy this. Don't waste $$$ on the bushings.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Universal-Charge-Bar-C-single-stage-w_Powder-Baffle/productinfo/2100001/

The MEC bushings NEVER throw the weight stated in their chart. BTDT

If you want a 12ga load using 1oz of shot that has less recoil than WW Featherlites do. PM me, it uses Unique powder.

I say the above, as someone who has run a 600jr since 1978.

OLG

+1000000 on the adjustable charge bar.

Go to the claybuster website an look at the load data for their CB0175-12 wad. The data for 700-X powder and STS hulls is so close to the AA LNLR that you can't tell the difference in a blind test.

my loads were done on the 600 jr still udr it for bp loads when needed I was lucky an d bought some black dawg loads in cases a few years back and I've still some left.  for smokeless I use AA LOW RECOIL LOW NOISE by the case from cowboy shooters supply a case at wr and two cases at eot has been working for me;

Archived