SASS Wire Forum

Out of State firearms transfers

Badlands Bob #61228

I know if I sell a gun to an out of state buyer, it has to go through a FFL dealer.  My questions are, does it matter how the gun gets to the FFL in the buyer's home state?  USPS and UPS are expensive and sometimes complicated shipping options.  If I meet the FFL dealer at a Cowboy shoot, can I give him the gun, he transports it back to his home state and makes the transfer to the buyer?  Can I travel with the gun to the buyer's home state and go with him to an FFL and make the transfer there?  Could I loan the gun to someone other than the buyer and he takes it to an FFL in the buyer's home state to do the FFL paperwork?  These seem like they should be legal. 

7 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I know if I sell a gun to an out of state buyer, it has to go through a FFL dealer.  My questions are, does it matter how the gun gets to the FFL in the buyer's home state? 

USPS and UPS are expensive and sometimes complicated shipping options.  

If I meet the FFL dealer at a Cowboy shoot, can I give him the gun, he transports it back to his home state and makes the transfer to the buyer?  If you meet the FFL at a shoot he may be required to transfer the gun to himself and then sell it to the recipient when he gets back to his home state. I am not positive about that but I think that would be true.

Can I travel with the gun to the buyer's home state and go with him to an FFL and make the transfer there?  I am sure that would depend on the state laws of the state that the buyer is in.

Could I loan the gun to someone other than the buyer and he takes it to an FFL in the buyer's home state to do the FFL paperwork? This is not advisable. Transferring a gun for someone else across state lines would be a federal violation if the carrier is not an FFL.

These seem like they should be legal. 

A lot of what you are asking depends on state laws. USPS and UPS, I believe, will only ship from FFL to FFL . Fed-Ex will ship from you to FFL.

You are in Georgia. By Georgia law you can ship directly to an FFL, but in my state, Oregon, I could not receive a gun that I buy from you unless you shipped it from an FFL in Georgia, regardless of Georgia law.

My advice would be to go through an FFL and remove all doubt.

Like PR sayz-State laws very. Call your states DOJ and ask.

USPS will ship a long gun from non-FFL but it has to go the an FFL. 

USPS, FedX & UPS have the BATFE master FFL list. When they input the address, it tells the counter person this.

OLG

Archived