SASS Wire Forum

Moving - A Shock to the System

Black Mike

Well, after pulling the wagon up here in Connecticut for the last 40 years I pulled that wagon up to the house and started loading it up for the move to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. 

As an avid shooter most of my life, I continue to shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, hunt small game, birds, and larger game all over this fine country. If that didn't add enough volume to my collection of stuff I had to get involved in this darn SASS stuff. 45 Colts, 44-40's, 38-55's 45-70's, lead, powder, reloaders, gun carts, hats, boots, holsters, shotgun belts, etc, etc, etc. 

My point?  Ever try to move all this stuff?  Holy crap!  Compounding this issue is the fact that we will not have a basement in our new home.

One issue was the two gun safes. Fortunately I sold them locally. The 850 pound Liberty would have been a challenge. 

Am considering a snap safe modular in the new house. Seems it would suit my needs better. Anyone have any experience with this safe?

Worked out all the other logistics for spaces for loading and other storage. And should be ready to go. 

Sighed up up for the SC state shoot. Look forward to meeting some of my CT Valley Bushwacker friends who have already relocated to SC and meeting new folks to shoot with. 

I'll get over the shock as soon as I get back to shooting again. 

1 hour ago, Black Mike said:

{previous text removed only to conserve space}

My point?  Ever try to move all this stuff?  Holy crap!  Compounding this issue is the fact that we will not have a basement in our new home.

{remaining text removed only to conserve space}

Black Mike:

See my related post in Dark Horse Charlie's recent thread " Leather Storage ".

Howdy,

Moving is the worst.

Just be careful of putting something down and putting something else on top.

And plan what you are going to eat.

Real hungry and real tired are a bad mix.

I should have just ordered a big pizza and that would have been it.

I lost about 16 pounds.

Mark contents on boxes. If you empty a box, tear off the label and put on fresh.

Best

CR

Sister said just about the same thing...Where does it all come...I asked when the next move happen...Started throwing things at me...She said the next move would be feet first out the door...Think I asked the wrong question...

Texas Lizard

I have moved cross country a few times. It sucks, so smile and deal with it.

Packing:

If you haven't used it in 5 years and it isn't a collectible or heirloom, get rid of it.

Label well.

Pack boxes small and light as you can.

If a box needs the word "miscellaneous" to describe contents it probably isn't worth hauling.

Mama's stuff MUST NOT BREAK!

If it does, it will be remembered for all eternity.

Your stuff is expendable.

Rest often when packing.

The Move:

If you have a self imposed schedule THROW IT AWAY! Rushing can get you in trouble, in an accident or worse.

If you are tired, rest. You are not Superman. If you are hungry, eat. You are not Superman.

Your stuff is expendable...your loved ones aren't.

Unless you drive truck for a living you are about to drive something unfamiliar, quite large and dangerous. You are not in a race. This is not Smokey and the Bandit. A truck will not stop on a dime, accelerate fast or maneuver well. BE CAREFUL. Leave plenty of room in front of you.

If you get tired, rest.

If you get hungry, eat.

I am never moving again. Ever!

As a kid, we moved every couple of years. Four elementary schools; 2 junior highs; 3 high schools.  Forget the physical burdens, try making complete sets of new friends 9 times in 12 years.  That's a lot for a kid to handle.

As for the rest, the secret is really good movers.  Good ones know how to pack, how to label and how to properly load the truck.  Bad ones suck, and can ruin heirlooms in 2 minutes.

We're probably looking at a "last move" in a couple of years.  It'll be the biggy, downsizing 40+ years of accumulation and moving to our cottage on the Cape.  Thinking of getting a dumpster and putting it under the biggest windows in the house.  Heave Ho.  Mrs. LL is mortified.  

LL

The best way to do this is to sell everything you own and buy new when you get to your new home.  If you are like Jeanie and me, you can't do that.

Give yourself plenty of time to sort, discard and pack.  Everything you have was, at one time, worth several hours of labor to acquire and will be difficult to discard.

Garage sales are just a way of giving away your treasures so we give ours to the Salvation Army, where at least someone will get some benefit from them.

Keep what is important to you or your wife.  Give yourself some more time.  A lot more time.

Good Luck,

Duffield

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I feel the same way. While I don't have a Place in the Country, like Utah Bob does, I'm comfortable here. I told my wife that the only way I'm moving again is:

(1) If I win the Powerball and I'm paying somebody else to do it.

(2) I get too old and infirm to stop my daughter from putting me into a Home,

(3) they're dragging my decaying corpse out of the house.

44 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

As a kid, we moved every couple of years. Four elementary schools; 2 junior highs; 3 high schools.  Forget the physical burdens, try making complete sets of new friends 9 times in 12 years.  That's a lot for a kid to handle.

As for the rest, the secret is really good movers.  Good ones know how to pack, how to label and how to properly load the truck.  Bad ones suck, and can ruin heirlooms in 2 minutes.

We're probably looking at a "last move" in a couple of years.  It'll be the biggy, downsizing 40+ years of accumulation and moving to our cottage on the Cape.  Thinking of getting a dumpster and putting it under the biggest windows in the house.  Heave Ho.  Mrs. LL is mortified.  

LL

Dumpster is a great idea...Just make sure wife is not walking by and gets the Heave Ho...By accident of course...

Texas Lizard

Then again down size or start over???

My wife said if we ever move, it'll be sell everything -- where is, as is -- take cash only.
That'll never happen, God willing we'll not have to move ever again!

Real Estate agent told me the value of my place will always go up no matter what the economy. I said, "What do I care". Then told him the next time this place is for sale will be the estate sale.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have moved cross country a few times. It sucks, so smile and deal with it.

Packing:

If you haven't used it in 5 years and it isn't a collectible or heirloom, get rid of it.

Label well.

Pack boxes small and light as you can.

If a box needs the word "miscellaneous" to describe contents it probably isn't worth hauling.

Mama's stuff MUST NOT BREAK!

If it does, it will be remembered for all eternity.

Rest often when packing.

The Move:

If you have a self imposed schedule THROW IT AWAY! Rushing can get you in trouble, in an accident or worse.

If you are tired, rest. You are not Superman. If you are hungry, eat. You are not Superman.

Your stuff is expendable...your loved ones aren't.

Unless you drive truck for a living you are about to drive something unfamiliar, quite large and dangerous. You are not in a race. This is not Smokey and the Bandit. A truck will not stop on a dime, accelerate fast or maneuver well. BE CAREFUL. Leave plenty of room in front of you.

If you get tired, rest.

If you get hungry, eat.

To add to this, inevitably, "professional" movers will have packed a full garbage can for you to find weeks later in your new place......  Ask me how I know this.....:o:o:o

Calamity Kris' post reminded me that if you do have pros pack and move you they will often hire local help to pack boxes.

WATCH THEM CAREFULLY.

My last move we hired packers to load the truck I rented in Sacramento. Theivin' dirty rotten rass-n-frass-n sonsof...... stole quite a few items. They got some of my wife's porcelain dolls and assorted other items. Suckers stole my favorite palm straw hat. It was in a Stetson box marked 10X. I hope they were surprised when they found the palm straw. I know exactly which one did it too.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Good Lord willing and if the creeks don't rise, I'm with all the way UB.

Pat, folks that work for movers are usually parolees.  I packed all valuables in my pick up and in a POD.  The movers got stuff that was replaceable.  We packed most of our own boxes.  Any valuables I had the movers take was marked Garage junk.

Mayo,

My problem was that we did all the packing but we hired them to load the truck as I had a fractured vertebrae and it hurt like crazy. They showed up with 4 guys and made quick work of the loading but we could not keep an eye on them at all times so one or more of them took advantage of that. After we had actually moved one of our neighbors in Elk Grove (Sac area) called my wife and told her that they saw one of the movers take one of our boxes and load it into the trunk of their car. My wife asked why she didn't say something sooner and she said she didn't want to get in the middle of something. I really don't blame her. She's elderly and lives alone so she probably feared the guy might come back and retaliate. At least that answered some of our questions on  why we couldn't find some things. 

On July 29, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

My wife said if we ever move, it'll be sell everything -- where is, as is -- take cash only.
That'll never happen, God willing we'll not have to move ever again!

Yep!  That was my plan.  Retire, downsize by selling EVERYTHING (doesn't included the guns) move to Tombstone and visit the garage sales for furniture.  Order a new safe to de delivered and buy a new 650.  Wife cried.  She has the two "spare" bedrooms  full of memories (stuff), most of the basement, part of the garage and ALL of her mother's basement.  So we are staying in Indiana and the kids will have to deal it....

Yep let's end it. Packing done. House sold. Can't wait to set up again and get shooting in South Carolina. 

After and before. What a chore. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Livid in the same house in southern California for 30 years. Bought property here in SW Colorado 5 years before I retired. Built Garage/shop 35X50 a year before I actually retired. I has inside storage fore our rv. Started moving stuff as soon as garage finished. Sold the house in a week. Finally packed up and moved, did it ourselves. We lived in our rv for 6 months while our current house was being built, stored everything in the new garage.

Been here 17 years now and like UB, the only way I'm moving again is in a pine box!

My father had a Mayflower moving company, plus a cattle ranch. :) After he passed away I went with Atlas van lines for awhile. You learn to load a 53 ft trailer without an ounce to spare, heavy to the bottom and left and light to the top and right. (Highways have a crown)

Really no different than how you pack a mule. LOL.

Now I flip my PTO on and my side dump dumps 28 ton of gravel on the ground and I drive away! Simple! Sure saves on the back.

Congratulations on your escape from CT.  Of course the rest of us will remember that you left us behind to deal with the crappy drivers, taxes, politicians and snow!   :P

Archived