SASS Wire Forum

C Sharps 1875

Red Cent

Are there any negatives that comes to mind about purchasing one of these?

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/36/Model-1875-Target-and-Sporting-Rifle.html

I have a 1875 C. Sharps so far it's been reliable and accurate, The overall workmanship is pretty darn good.

My rifle has a 28" half octagon/ half round barrel if I had it to do over I'd have gotten a 30" full octagon to get a bit more weight out forward.

I also sent my rifle back to the factory and had the single set trigger installed it's a true hair trigger when set and you have to be careful with it but it makes a huge difference when shooting targets way out there.

Willy B'

Lumpy, this will be used for competition up to 300 yards around here. 38-55. Will get a 1:14 twist to handle 312s and 335s. Maybe a 1:12. After options, it will cost me about $1600.00. The '77 will cost me another $1000.00. For my use, I don't think I can mentally justify it. I will put a Lee Shaver front and back and that will be another $300.00 for either.

You might have read about my trial and tribulations with Marlin 336 in 38-55. After a bunch of loads and II try real hard, I can get a tad over 2" @100 yards. I want a ragged hole B)

Jim, I have seen your targets punched with the 6BR. See below:

If I get the sweet spot with a load, what can I expect from the "85?

Geronimo Jim.jpg

I can't believe you found that target!  Both guns would shoot about 1 1/2 inch at 100.   The weak link

was the shooter and bought bullets.   Really need to cast your own to do good.   Also, shooting

smokeless powder.  

Thanks Jim.

Lumpy, I am counting on that. I am hoping the sport continues to grow here and open up some places to shoot. Northeast of me close to the Virginia line, there is a place called Frontline Defense. I believe the owner was one of those spooky guys in camo back when. Sniper.  He has two 1000 yard ranges plus some shorter ones. Fur piece to practice but definitely would like to go for a match.

I won't get rid of the Marlin. But it too light to hold steady even on the bench. And I shoot a somewhat free recoil method. At 11#s, I should be good on the hold with the C Sharps.

And I will definitely buy some black powder.

I just read Lee Shaver's 8 Points of Casting and I am tired. I have enough trouble of reloading the 38-55 on a turret press. But if I do get the C Sharps, I may go dust off the lead melting pot. Used to cast 45acp around 1982-1983. Gotta do some more reading and take a few patience pills. Maybe some Dickel.

Comments on the best twist to shoot the 312s and 335s?

I have a C Sharps I bought used simply because I had a two year wait for Shiloh to build my 1874. I thought I'd cut my teeth and learn stuff on it while waiting. It's a pretty darn good rifle. Much more accurate than I am. 

Blackey, the C-Sharps has a one or two month wait. Ain't bad if it is true.

No more Badger barrels. Did not know they closed their doors. 30" octagon heavy would be a McGowen Precision or Green MT.

Seems that the C-Sharps 1875 (plain jane) will run about $1800.00 after I buy the tang sights front and rear. An 1874 Shiloh (plain jane) would total about $2300.00 including sights.

Have several C Sharp in 1874. They are incredible firearms.  You cannot go wrong with their work.  I know it is expensive but well worth.  If you are thinking of up grades, get them now. 

I have been reading that the Pedersoli dominates the black powder long range (800-1000 yards) matches.

Lumpy, I am in contact (e-mail) with C Sharps about the Model 1875 Target and Sporting Rifle. They have not mentioned something that may be available but they said they could/would build the rifle with my requests to this point. Single set trigger  and custom bedding are the two things I added and inquired about twist rates.

How about zero (well, a few days) wait time. http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sharps-rifles-replica/c-sharps-arms-model-1875-38-55-nib.cfm?gun_id=100874976

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sharps-rifles-replica/c-sharps-arms-old-reliable-40-65-cal-.cfm?gun_id=100831455

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sharps-rifles-replica/c-sharps-big-timber-mt-model-1875-cal-38-55.cfm?gun_id=100819140

So many guns, so little time.

John Boy should get a kick out of this. 1:18 seems to be the nominal twist for the 38-55 and this is supposed to be good up to 270gr or so. 300gr or better requires a faster twist. Or so they say. Go to a twist calculator site, plug in the specs on 312gr 38-55 bullet and it will show good stability from as fast as 1:12 to the 1:18. I agreed with John Boy that "some" rifles with the 1:18 twist would handle the heavy bullets implying that it was not the best twist. Now I am getting confused.

Since I want a stable bullet to, say, 600 yards, what twist would work the best?

I think we all know that a good barrel, good trigger, and a good bullet will make for good groups. Yeah, I know. I oversimplified it but the others are mostly variables. The shooter for one.

So.....If I want to stick with 300gr and over, what twist?

Screw Email-use your phone and call'em. ^_^ Ask for John, and if not there, ask him to call when he is.

For target, go with the double trigger option.

I strongly urge you to go with the Soule type tang sight for ease of adjustment, and the increased windage.

Also-if you plan to shoot from cross-sticks. I would go with an octagon bbl as they 'ride' the 'sticks' better, than a round bbl does. You do want a matte finish either way.

OLG

Red I don't know if you shoot 38-55 or not but they are particularly dependent on find a load for each firearm seldom the same load will work in more than one gun at distance

Hey Blackey. Started reloading in 1963 on a Lyman Spartan. 256 Winchester Mag. Built a number of rifles since. Built as in hand the action to someone at Douglas Barrels, pick up the barreled action, inlet into a stock, go load and shoot. WV = long range groundhog hunter.

I have spent way too much time and components on the lever Marlin 38-55. Starts off with a lousy chamber and difficult to get really small groups. 260 gr, Unique, Winchester short brass, unsized and not crimped. Slip fit. Loaded to around 2.70. That ain't a misprint. 4 X 12 Bushnell and 100 yards. Didn't think to put my oversized dime next to the group. Called the NE flyer. There are 8 rounds there somewhere. Ignoring the flyer, the group is about 1 1/4" wide and around 1 3/4". Best it can do. And I have to try reeaaallll hard.

group.jpg

22-250. Remington 700 action. Air gauged Premium Douglas 1" straight bull barrel. Bishop stock. Circa 1975. I bought the Remington as an ADL back around 1973.

53 gr Sierra BT HP, 3031 and it will do 1/2" to 3/4" all day. Woe to the ground hog under 500 yards.

22-250 003.jpg

Guest Grass Range #51406

Have 2 Cs. Good rifles and good service. 40-70BN buffalo killer and 50 for big game

A great rifle and a rifle never put into production back in the day by Sharps....Interesting story. Only one finished gun and one other receiver were built for the 1876 Exposition in PA. The 74 was too heavy and didn't allow for heavy weight target barrels to meet the weight requirements of long range target shooting in the day. The 75 was a smaller action allowing a heavier barrel. Seems the fellow that designed the 75 had a falling out with his boss and was fired. (I've heard about a half dozen reasons why he was fired...from Romance to embezzlement)  The Boss never liked the 75 and moved on to the 77 of which they only built 100 pieces. And then the 78 Borchardt was introduced.......

http://www.nramuseum.com/guns/the-galleries/modern-firearms-1950-to-present/case-57-still-more-guns/c-sharps-arms-model-1875-falling-block-rifle.aspx

I have a C Sharps 1875 in 38-55 and one of the most accurate rifles I own....... Relatively inexpensive as C.Sharps products go. Smaller than a 74 and a bit easier to handle.

" I have a C Sharps 1875 in 38-55 and one of the most accurate rifles I own....... "

Now that right there is encouragin'.

Red, I have had poor luck with 300grain + bullets in 38-55 with a 18 twist barrel. My 15 twist likes them, but if I were getting a custom gun for 300+ grain bullets in a 38-55 I would order a 12 twist if I could get it.  We are finding that it is almost impossible to overspin a good bullet. We are actually shooting 8 twist 308's now in many sniper situations.  Running 12 twist 50BMG's.

Happy Jack. I have settled on a 1:12. If I order a C Sharps I don't want to take a chance. Not for the money. C Sharps offers 1:12 and a 1:14.

I have talked to one of their gunsmiths and discovered something interesting. Dan Theodore was an authority (some will argue that point) on black powder and long range shooting. Reading a number of articles you come upon his name time after time. Also the name Dick Trenck's name pops up quite a bit. Both have passed and, I may add, much too soon in life. DT was heavily involved with Pedersoli. Pedersoli uses the SAAMI specs which I do not like. The free/bore/throat is .378" with a groove diameter of .379". Admittedly made for the "bunp up" powder.

The specs passed to me by the gunsmith mirror a 38-55 match reamer designed by Dan Theodore. And, boy was I surprised. When the gs started giving me the specs I quickly looked up pictures I had saved of the design. I have been waffling but the information pushed me a little closer to the edge.

Here is the Dan Theodore design. Wayyyyyyyyy better design.

http://imgur.com/a/3A1iN

As in "doesn't work"?

Works when I click on it.

38-55 Dan Theodore.jpg

OK. Just hung up talking to Lee Shaver. Super nice guy. He told me that the DT chamber is the way SAAMI should have made it. So now I have to make up my mind which C Sharps.

Can you see the picture I posted of the dimensions?

Archived