SASS Wire Forum

Who makes the best rifle with a short stroke kit

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

I am tired of losing to guys with customized rifles!  Instead of adding a short stroke kit to my uberti, I am thinking of buying a rifle with a kit already installed.  Who makes the best value for the money? I am looking at 357/38 cal.

Thanks all,

Colonel Del Rio

Some of the "factory"  competition rifles are good but need additional work in order to be a top notch race gun.  The best competition rifles are the ones such as you have now that have been short stroked and prepared by one of the several excellent gunsmiths.  The smiths will prepare the rifle that you now have or will do the work on a factory new rifle.

Blackfoot

Not to talk you out of a New rifle because it's always nice to get a new toy, however unless your Only getting beat by a few seconds every match. You'll get better value out of working on transitions.

At mn state I ran the speed rifle With a stock rifle and my slicked up rifle. There was only about a half a second difference

That being said id get one done with the shotgun boogie kit

I have all my long guns worked on by Jared at Longhunter (he's short stroking a 66 for me as we speak). As far as value for the money goes the money will be about the same for the same parts and services rendered from any reputable cowboy gunsmith. I use Longhunter out of habit as I have had excellent service from them for over a decade and have never been disappointed. For the money you are considering spending in buying a new race ready rifle I'd shop for the right smith and not the lowest price as the variation in price will be minimal for similar services.

And I would buy a brand spankin' new race ready rifle out of the box because new gun day is a very good day indeed.

It couldn't hurt have a tuned short stroke , here's something's to think about

Do you ever feel awkward picking it up or working the lever ? (Allways have you hand on the same place on the forearm and don't wrap your thumb around the stock while leveraging)

Does your rifle fit you (sometimes pistol grip feels more natural, a straight stock may work better then crescent. Is the length of pull correct)

Are you staging your rifle so you can slide your fingers in the lever fast and smoothly as to pick up your rifle

Practice picking up your rifle and getting the first shot off faster

Your equipment must work 100% , fit you and feel natural

There are a lot more to it but you get the idea. Will a new rifle help probably a little but everything above and a new rifle will help more...and practice, practice , practice

Along with what others have said my main rifle is a Jimmy Spurs, my back-up is a Colt McAllister, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Some folks will talk against the cut and weld short strokes but I've had really good luck with them.

Thanks

Randy

Commanchero by Taylors'! Comes in pistol grip, straight stock and 3 different calibers, slicked up and ready to rock!! With Taylor's excellent customer service you have no worries at all;)

I had my rifle slicked up by Lassiter.  He did a nice job.  However, the same people that beat me still beat me.

Good gear is always fun to shoot but there is also that 'P' word.  Must admit I rarely practice while the folks who beat me do practice.

Plenty of great smiths and just like ford vs chevy or ginger vs mary ann everyone has their favorite. I would agree more with those who are saying use what you already have and master that, then decide about getting another race gun. If you are "losing" by a few tenths of a second then a race rifle could be the difference but if you are falling short by 3 seconds or more per stage practice would be a better (much cheaper) option.

Although a new gun is always nice :D

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Time a buddy who is pretty fast doing a 10 round dump starting from shouldered rifle.

Have him repeat with your rifle. If there is little difference, it's you, not your rifle, limiting your times. If there is substantial difference, follow advice given above.

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

I have a rather stock '73 45 Colt in the safe. Beside it is an early model (M73 45 Colt) of the CodyMatic. While someone may be able to operate them about the same, I will tell you the CodyMatic is a lot less tiring, easy on the knuckles, and makes one smile a lot.

Winning speed events means very little, there are many other components to winning a match. The fastest guy/gal with a particular gun is just the fastest guy/gal with that gun. Putting it all together and winning stages is more about shooting at the best of your ability and making fewer mistakes than the next person. Shoot with the best people you can and study their movements, ask them why they do certain things. If you are afraid to try out different techniques and change things up I doubt the quickest rifle will be beneficial. Cody Conager, Harlan Wolf, Lefty Wheeler, and Lassiter all build great rifles and are good shooters, they still have to shoot their other guns and perform flawlessly in order to win matches.

There are more good shooters than ever and a simple glitch can cost one the match. I can run what appears to be the best stage to some and I know I made some simple time consuming mistakes. 

Something to consider..

Whoever you choose to build a rifle for ya..

Ask them if they actually "live fire" the rifle they build for you.. :huh:

Ya might be surprised how many custom builders build a custom rifle

and never fire a live round through it..

I got one about 3 years back from a very highly respected shop..

Just in time for my state match..

I unboxed it.. Threw in 10 of my dummy rounds..:)

levered the rifle and it locked up on the first round.. :(

I tried 8 rounds, 6 rounds, and finally found that

it would cycle with a couple rounds in it..

I called them and they said they must have forgotten to do such and such..

and asked me if I knew how, and would I try to fix their $1,700 rifle.. :o

Luckily I had a friend that knew how to fix it...

Rance ;)

Thinkin it was not a fun.. :angry:

Palo Verde Gunworks, Scottsdale AZ.  All work is done by the owner.

The fellers beating you haven't bought their way to the top, they have practiced their way up there.

Good luck, GJ

My wife and I have been running our Cody -Matics for more then 10 years

mine in 45 cal and hers in 38 special  just like a Timex they keep on ticking.

never had them in for repairs.  They work great. Thanks Cody

I agree that the really fast guys practice and that's mostly why they win BUT.... if you compare 2 shooters of equal abilities and shooting times and one has a short stroke and one doesn't...well....advantage goes to the short stroke barring any misses and procedurals!

Archived