SASS Wire Forum

New style Marlin '94 extractor on the market

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did the longer spring actually do for us. I haven't had a chance to install my second one in my .45 yet due to snow, but will report back as soon as I can. Both extractors I was sent have the shorter spring. and the first one ejects close to my foot at about 2 o'clock.

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The 3 I have installed in our M/94's, all showed better and more consistent ejection.

OLG

Howdy Eyesa.

I got the same results as Lumpy.

The spring I had worked great.  In my opinion, nothing was wrong with the original springs or the Extractor.   It all had to do with the amount of pressure the Extractor was exerting on the 'empty' case because some of the Bolts on the Marlin had variations of the Extractor retaining PIN HOLE.

And these variations allowed different depths of the RPP Extractor, albeit only in the .000's

BUT, based on my assessment (and concurred by LUMPY),  we felt that a slightly longer spring would allow just enough extra tension of the Extractor tip to keep just a tad more pressure on the case rim for better, more consistent Ejections.

Both Lumpy and I agreed that approx 3 coils would be sufficient and not be overbearing.

RPP listened and apparently started immediately putting the newer spring lengths in their Extractor body.   This extra length also allows for the rifle owner to cut a coil or so if they deem necessary..........although I personally would not recommend it.

I can't speak for LUMPY, but the situation of the spring tension occurred while I was working on a Pards Marlin which already had the RPP Extractor in it.   While testing it for Ejections, some brass would eject 100% of the time while another piece of brass with a different rim thickness, would only eject less than 1/2 the time.    

I think I listed a more detail comment in an earlier post.

Hey Eyesa, I got your email and look forward to you giving me a shout, hopefully next week.

Keep in touch.

..........Widder

UPDATE: The new Ranger Point Extractor arrived in the mail yesterday exactly like described. This morning I made the change after watching the video. Piece of cake! I knew as soon as I reassembled the rifle and cycled it there was an improvement. I then loaded in the dummy 38 special rounds I had made this week during the wait, and I could not believe it. After five years of playing with cartridge OAL trying to get rid of that little last second "bolt hesitation" as the bolt finishes closing was gone. Every round cycled through so smooth and extracted without a glitch dropping the rounds less than 2 feet to the side. Folks in my opinion this is the best thing since bottled beer, and well worth the money in my opinion. Great job Ranger Point !!

Please let us hear how your live-fire session goes.

One thing I just learned about the RPP extractor. That now, both of my .44's will feed LSWC(lead-semi wad cutter)bullets with ease.

Before-the 'cowboy limited' was 'no way in heck' and the 1981 carbine was 98-99% reliable with and occasional 'double-clutch' of the lever.

NOW-Both feed LSWC bullets like, they are round nose........B)

OLG

Update-Just tested(live fire)my Wife's:wub: .38CBC with LSWC bullets and it will feed them as smooth as it does RNFP.

Before the extractor change, it would not cycle LSWC bullets at all.

Not say'n all will do this-Just found it an interesting benefit that's a result of the RPP extractor in our 3, M/94's.

YMMV,

OLG

On 11/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

OK--- Tried the first one in  Ellie's 1894 CS .38/357. Brain faded and didn't try the gun with the old extractor first:(. I installed it as Frontier Mick did by pushing it out backwards out of the tube and right into the bolt, which kept the spring captive the whole way. The video showed pushing the retaining pin out from the bottom of the bolt, which I did and didn't remove it all the way. Had a bit of difficulty getting it back into the bottom hole and noticed the pin was tapered on the top end only. Maybe it got reversed B4 I bought the gun. Fired 50 rounds at different speeds and had NO issues. Brass landed just ahead of my lead foot and just to my right which would be close to 2:00. In about a 16" circle. I think I would prefer more towards 3:00 as if, I was in front of a table I think they would have landed on it. Due to my bum shoulder during one run of ten I was holding the fore stock close to the receiver and could feel the brass hitting my fingers, so they don't go out far. I used 125 gr. TC bullets in nickel cases. 3 of which split, but had no issue extracting. The cycling did feel smooth, but, as stated above, I didn't try it B4 the modification! I will try to be more scientific when I get the other one and install it in my .45 Cowboy Competition;)

P.S. Just got off the phone with Ranger Point to inform of being short one, they were most gracious and apologetic and will get the other one out today. I have no issue with the shortage as these things happen! Especially on Black Friday!

OK   We are finally above zero and tried the second one in my .45 colt. Considerable work to clean the carbon out of the extractor hole due to not doing so in a couple years! A .213 drill bit helped immensely turned by fingers and lots of solvent.

The cycling is noticeably smoother. The brass ejected to almost the exact same spot as the original extractor, about 20" to the right of my lead ( left )foot and about at 2:00 to the gun or just forward of my  lead foot. The new Ranger Point extractor seemed to keep them a little closer together however. This part completely fills the extractor hole in the bolt, so hopefully cleaning will be easier or not needed in the hole!

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The 3 I have installed in our M/94's, all showed better and more consistent ejection.

OLG

Pictures look a little different then mine, but believe option #1 for my Marlin. I know its dirty, but just finished a match and took this then before cleaning.  MT

SDC17842.JPG.f296958e80e0e840c2f0d5ae6b564cdb.JPG

39 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Pictures look a little different then mine, but believe option #1 for my Marlin. I know its dirty, but just finished a match and took this then before cleaning.  MT

SDC17842.JPG.f296958e80e0e840c2f0d5ae6b564cdb.JPG

Wow that angle does not look right at all! Contact them at RPP, Kimberly is awesome and took VERY good care of me when I had a concern.

Wyatt Hurts

The RPP Extractor position on my bolt face is like the picture posted by Marshal Dan.

I think the angle is o.k.

But I would be curious if anyone has a RPP Extractor that doesn't have an angle position.

P.S. - My Extractor is the Option #2.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

The RPP Extractor position on my bolt face is like the picture posted by Marshal Dan.

But I would be curious if anyone has a RPP Extractor that doesn't have an angle position.

..........Widder

The one I have is not angled; it's parallel  with side of the bolt.

I ordered 5 more last week from RPP.   Two for Option 1 and three for Option 2.

I'll check them out when they arrive and post my results.   Maybe even post a pic.

..........Widder

On 1/14/2018 at 5:58 PM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I installed 2 of option #2 and they are both parallel to the bolt as in Billy's picture above. Installed in a .38/.357 and a .45 Colt

I could not tell and sent a picture. Was told to remove extractor then we send picture. Mine was option 2.

Shot two matches and works great, SMOOTH.

16 hours ago, Major Bill said:

I could not tell and sent a picture. Was told to remove extractor then we send picture. Mine was option 2.

Shot two matches and works great, SMOOTH.

Thank you for the information!

OLG

Just received the new Marlin Extractor. Took less then 10 minutes to install, probable less if pin wasn't so tight to take out. First thing I noticed no resistance in the final closing as use to be with old extractor fitting into groove. Feels smoother also, first time I didn't think it had closed all the way.

Now I wonder what took me so long to order this.  MT 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

OLG, once again you came through with flying colors by exposing this product on The Wire!  :)

Installed in my 1894 and I am pretty impressed on how it handled ejecting a split case that the original Marlin extractor would not!

Just a follow-up / update...

Encountered my fist split case during a live match yesterday since installing this new extractor, and I just have to say WOW!

I didn't even know that I HAD a split case, until the brass picker returned it to me at the ULT! 

Before installing this extractor, that split case would have locked up my Marlin 1894 mid-stage!

First time I have ever grinned from having a split case, because it extracted / ejected smooth as butter! :D

Archived