SASS Wire Forum

New style Marlin '94 extractor on the market

I too bought one a while back. It is VERY smooth but in my JM 38  Marlin the ejections were not consistent. After sending her to a well known Marlin Guru that we all know and love, he noticed that case rim thickness was an issue. He was able to get more consistent ejections using a tuned extractor of traditional design.

YMMV

Wyatt Hurts

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

I too bought one a while back. It is VERY smooth but in my JM 38  Marlin the ejections were not consistent. After sending her to a well known Marlin Guru that we all know and love, he noticed that case rim thickness was an issue. He was able to get more consistent ejections using a tuned extractor of traditional design.

YMMV

Wyatt Hurts

PLZ contact RPP about this.

My wife's:wub: .38 CBC with the OEM 'bobby-pin' extractor was a weak 1 o'clock ejection with an occasional last case left in the rec'r.

The RRP extractor turned that into a very positive ejection, at 2 o'clock and 100% reliability.

Are you sure you rec'd the correct extractor for your bolt? Marlin moved the extractor hole location in the bolt around some, and RRP makes a different ejector for each variant. 

The different hole locations can be seen on the RRP site under the extractors heading.

http://www.rangerpointstore.com/categories/extraction-team.html

Could you post any pictures of this 'tuned' extractor?

OLG

Howdy Lumpy.

Here are the details of Wyatt's Marlin 1894 and the RPP Extractor situation.

As he stated, his ejections of empty brass was inconsistent..... basically, when I tested it, ejections were bad or non-active at all.

His Extractor hole on his bolt seemed to be in the same position as mine and his RPP Extractor seem to be identical to my RPP Extractor.

BOTH Extractors worked good in my Marlin but NEITHER Extractor worked 'consistent' in his Marlin.

I was puzzled during my testing because sometimes, his Marlin would kick out his brass nicely while other times, the empty brass would just fall off the bolt face or hang loose and not kick out at all.

Sooooooo, I measured the thickness of the rims of the pieces of brass I was using.   

PIECE #1:   rim thickness was .054 and ejected empty brass 100% of the time.   I mean, like 20 for 20

PIECE #2:  rim thickness was .057 and ejected empty brass only about 25% of the time during a 'normal' functioning of the action.   If you worked the action hard and very fast, it would kick out the empties more consistently, but not always.

MY CURE:   I slightly tweaked a factory Extractor by bending the hook inward closer to the bolt face.  Then I shortened the 'beak' portion to allow the rims of various thicknesses to move under it with minimal push on the hook tip.   I was able to get ALL pieces of brass I tested to Eject reliably while also allowing smooth, effortless feeding of live rounds.

WYATT will have to make any comments on its performance under normal competition usage..... but I hope its functioning for him like it did for me.

I returned his original RPP Extractor to him with all the above information.

It was my conclusion that the Extractor PIN HOLE in the bolt was somewhat offset and that may be why neither RPP Extractor worked well.

I will add that my RPP Extractor has functioned flawless for approx 400-500 rounds and the RPP Extractor is darn good investment for anyone who shoots the Marlin 1894.

Personally, I would keep the 'spring' in the RPP Extractor about 3-4 coils longer.   I think that would still allow smooth feeding and better (stronger, more consistent) ejections of empty brass, especially for those who are experiencing week ejections of their empty brass.

..........Widder

TNX-was the hole in the bolt option #1(C/L to FP) or option #2(below C/L)?

Did you try a different ejector?

I have seen more than once that an ejector that wouldn't work 'rite' in rifle 'A', worked just fine in rifle 'B' etc.

Like your idea about longer coil spring on the RPP extractor.

Think I'll Email RPP and ask-Maybe you could also and send your findings on the 1 extractor deal to them.

OLG

Howdy Lumpy.

I had thought about contacting RPP about the situation experienced with Wyatt's Marlin, but because (IMHO) it was a factory issue on the hole placement, there wasn't much I could expect from RPP.

I may contact them about considering a longer spring, approx 3-4 coils longer just for their test purposes.

Of the 3 springs that I have seen, all 3 of them appear to have been 'clipped' on one end.   My guess is that RPP is cutting them at a particular length and not  on coil count.

What do you think?

..........Widder

Just now, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Lumpy.

I had thought about contacting RPP about the situation experienced with Wyatt's Marlin, but because (IMHO) it was a factory issue on the hole placement, there wasn't much I could expect from RPP.

I may contact them about considering a longer spring, approx 3-4 coils longer just for their test purposes.

Of the 3 springs that I have seen, all 3 of them appear to have been 'clipped' on one end.   My guess is that RPP is cutting them at a particular length and not  on coil count.

What do you think?

..........Widder

Agree 110% on the spring deal. I have sent a note to Kimberly about this.

I do think RPP should know about the pin hole location variance issue. How far off was it?

OLG

32 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Agree 110% on the spring deal. I have sent a note to Kimberly about this.

I do think RPP should know about the pin hole location variance issue. How far off was it?

OLG

Based on the brass that ejected 100% of the time and the brass that only ejected about 25% of the time, the thickness of those rims were only .003

Another issue which may have caused inconsistency is that it appeared the bolt face was not centered to the chamber.   Therefore, when the empty case mouth exited the chamber entrance, there appeared to be a slight 'push off' on the bolt face.

I have experience this situation before with a Marlin (actually my .45 Comp).

Trying to set up an appropriate extractor to compensate for this slight misalignment was my cure.

I can't prove by measurement that the bolt face/chamber were misaligned, but it sure looked obvious when you do certain test that you can see the empty piece of brass 'push off' when it exits the chamber.

..........Widder

Did you check for location of the FP hit on the primer?

Really convinces me that Marlin at some point vendored out some of the bolt making on 94's.

For example- all 3 of our M/94's(.44 mag carbine w/mg rifling, .44 mag cowboy limited 24" bbl and my wifes:wub: .38CBC) have the extractor hole on centerline with the FP. What RPP calls 'option #1'.

I have worked on many that are 'option #2'. I have seen a couple of the extreme off-set extractor hole locations that the REM marked 94's use(OMG!:rolleyes:).

OLG

On 11/29/2017 at 11:58 AM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Personally, I would keep the 'spring' in the RPP Extractor about 3-4 coils longer.   I think that would still allow smooth feeding and better (stronger, more consistent) ejections of empty brass, especially for those who are experiencing week ejections of their empty brass.

..........Widder

Talked with Kimberly this afternoon. Says she will be sending us both, some full length springs to test.

You might want to call RPP to be sure they have your mailing address.

She did say they have sold over 1000 of these extractors to date.B)

OLG

ONE THOUSAND............. WOW.

They probably sold a bucket full based on your endorsement.

Thanks for the info about the springs.   I will be eager to test them out.

..........Widder

How well does this new extactor handle split 45 Colt cases?  I had a split case today at a match, and the stock extactor would not budge it, had to use a rod to poke it out.

Well, OLG, based on your endorsement on handling a split case, I am going to have to give one a try.  I kept the split case that locked me up yesterday, so it will be interesting to test the before and after results!

Go to RRP's site and see which bolt extractor hole 'option' you need to order. You will need to remove your bolt for this comparison. The most common is either option #1 or #2.

The way this new extractor is designed. The harder the case is to remove. The harder the 'hook' holds onto the case's rim.

Let's hear how this works for you.

WARNING-That little coil spring REALLY tries hard to escape.......^_^

OLG

On 11/27/2017 at 5:54 PM, Frontier Mick said:

Took advantage of the 20% off. Ordered early Friday and got confirmation it had been shipped before the end of the day. Got my new extractor out of the mailbox an hour ago. Installed without a hitch. I pushed it through the plastic tube it came in right into the bolt and didn't have any problem with the spring popping out. Cycled some rounds and as others have stated it is smooth. Going to do some shooting tomorrow for a real test.

I used the above method to install and there was no threat of the spring escaping. Good idea Frontier Mick

22 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

C'mon fellers......... what good is having a new part if WE can't loose part of it before putting it in the rifle........ :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Don't you have a house to paint? .......... :lol: :P

OLG

23 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

C'mon fellers......... what good is having a new part if WE can't loose part of it before putting it in the rifle........ :lol::lol:

..........Widder

And after all---That's why they give 'ya an extra one.

2 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Ya, but you know someone who knows someone and can get some extra extra parts. That's almost like cheetin.

Shot a monthly Sunday and about 30 rounds today messin around with no problems so far. 140 rounds total so far with the rifle working better than I am.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:08 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

Well, OLG, based on your endorsement on handling a split case, I am going to have to give one a try.  I kept the split case that locked me up yesterday, so it will be interesting to test the before and after results!

OLG, once again you came through with flying colors by exposing this product on The Wire!  :)

Installed in my 1894 and I am pretty impressed on how it handled ejecting a split case that the original Marlin extractor would not!

Good video Dutch.    Thanks for posting it and sharing.

Like Lumpy, I'm also testing out a newer spring for the RPP Extractor and should be able to check it out this week.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

..........Widder

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I was the one who brought up the initial issue on inconsistent extractions, I need to be the one to say how GREAT this company responded to my concerns. I just completed testing out this extractor with a slightly longer spring (which they provided) and well the results have been VERY good!

Wyatt Hurts

DITTO, Wyatt.

RPP also sent me one of their newer and longer springs (about 3-4 coils longer) and I am getting better ejections and still getting super smooth feeding.

RPP has started using these longer springs in all their Marlin Extractors and they do work great.

That company has listened to the troops and responded very quick to our suggestions and request.

Thank you....Ranger Point Precision.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

DITTO, Wyatt.

RPP also sent me one of their newer and longer springs (about 3-4 coils longer) and I am getting better ejections and still getting super smooth feeding.

RPP has started using these longer springs in all their Marlin Extractors and they do work great.

That company has listened to the troops and responded very quick to our suggestions and request.

Thank you....Ranger Point Precision.

..........Widder

I too see better ejections with the new spring at about 3 coils longer than before. Have now installed these new springs in all 3 of our M/94's.

OLG

I checked one of these out on a friends rifle and IMHO it is light years better than the factory one. I’m not a Marlin shooter but from  what I’ve seen that extractor should solve a lot of problems.

Hey LUMPY............ Merry Christmas Pard.

My original RPP spring was 19.25 coils long.

The newer springs I received were 22.25  and 22.90 coils long.

After testing them, I trimmed them both to 22.0 coils and the rifle (Widdermatic) is functioning perfect..... as expected.

I hope you and yours have a blessed and peaceful Christmas and Holiday season.

..........Widder

Thank you Widder! Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

I also added 3 full coils to the length of the early spring and found it to work 'mor-better'.

Little trickier to get the extractor assembly re-installed into the bolt, without a spring 'launch'. ^_^

OLG

Archived