SASS Wire Forum

New style Marlin '94 extractor on the market

Just an FYI to all fellow Marlin '94 users. This new design will fix 99.9999% of all M/94 extraction/ejection issues. B)

I have also found it to help in smoother feeding of rounds into the chamber. ;)

Sure works a whole of a lot better than the OEM, 'bobby-pin' style extractor that Marlin used. ^_^

For more details. Please use the link below with the great pictures.

http://rangerpointstore.com/categories/extractionteam/marlin-1894-m-94-extractor-claw-2017-all-new-design/

I have 3 of these extractors now. YES, they are that impressive. Well worth the price.

Respectfully,

OLG

UPDATE 7-30-17. The parts are now Electroless Nickle plated....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lumpy, thanks for the info.

I received an email from Ranger Point this afternoon about these new 1894 Extractors.

Whats cunning is that I had the same idea on that design stored in the back of my brain.

I will probably order me a couple of them and check em out.   One of the biggest issues I face in trying to get the 1894's to feed better is the Extractor.

I have had good success with the 1-piece Extractor that I get from Slick McClade.  

..........Widder

Lumpy, I think you may have made life easier for a number of folks, many thanks!

I have 3 pre-safety 1894s that use the folded flat spring for extractor (and ejector).  Both are hard to find and expensive if you do find one.  I've not had one fail yet.

Do you know if this new design will fit the reintroduced early 1894s?

I also have an arm load of pre-JM Marlins that use a similar extractor to the current model but shorter.  Also, the ejector is different. 

Howdy,

Any chance any of you pards can contact Rusty Marlin?

I would sure like to hear his ideas of this.

I don't think I need one now. but will I need one soon?

Best

CR

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have tried all the other versions of M/94 extractors that are out there. 

Believe me-This coil spring version, is a whole new ballgame. ;)

OLG

OLG,

Does this new extractor claw also keep blow back crud from getting into the opening on the bolt? I have to clean that opening with a dental pick every time I quick clean the rifle.  It appears the diameter of this extractor spring housing more completely fills the opening, than the regular OEM's flat spring.

Regards

Capt RHK

I don't have much in blow back to deal with in my M/94's. 

The new extractor design makes it very easy to flush the hole with carb cleaner and a drop of lube is all you need.

Sorry I can't answer your question any better than that-

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I don't have much in blow back to deal with in my M/94's. 

The new extractor design makes it very easy to flush the hole with carb cleaner and a drop of lube is all you need.

Sorry I can't answer your question any better than that-

OLG

OLG,

Thanks. That works.

I'm going to give one a Try.

Capt RHK

• 1 month later...

First media review, with outstanding pictures.

What the reviewer notices with the cycling improvement/smoothness of his Marlin 94.  My wife:wub: and I noticed with all 3 of ours. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/12/tfb-lightning-review-ranger-point-precisions-1894-extractor-claw-no-case-left-behind/

OLG

6 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Sure would be cool if someone could buy a bunch of em and upgrade one marlin

after another at a match or something.

Best

CR

I thought about it, but at about $60 per unit, there is no guarantee that many of them will be sold until their reputation grows.

I'm using one in a Marlin 32 H&R and for the first 300+ rounds in competition and numerous dummy rounds, it has functioned flawless and I really like it.

I plan to buy a couple more for another .32 and a .38 Comp.

..........Widder

• 2 months later...

UPDATE--

Just thought I would update this.
To date, with several SASS/CAS cowboy shoots under our belts since installing the new extractor in my 2, .44's and my wife's .38 CBC. We have not had a single issue with extraction or feeding.
THANK YOU RPP!
OLG

12 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I have 2 ordered, looking forward to giving them a workout. 

Looking forward to reading your impressions of'em.

CAUTION-That coil spring REALLY wants to 'escape'. ^_^

OLG

Had a little trouble with fit. As with any new (to me) item there is a learning curve. A telephone call confirmed my suspicions that the hole had some unseen burrs. 

The proper sized bit twisted with the fingers resolved the fit and the unit slid in perfectly.

I have run several hundred rounds and not have a failure to eject yet. (Rounds falling off the extractor)

Prior to installing this extractor I would have at least one round fall off the extractor in every two day match. 

Just ordered my 2, 20% off seemed like a good deal.

edit: I'll report back on 'em after install.

Took advantage of the 20% off. Ordered early Friday and got confirmation it had been shipped before the end of the day. Got my new extractor out of the mailbox an hour ago. Installed without a hitch. I pushed it through the plastic tube it came in right into the bolt and didn't have any problem with the spring popping out. Cycled some rounds and as others have stated it is smooth. Going to do some shooting tomorrow for a real test.

One of mine came in yesterday as well. I ordered 2, so gotta call 'em today and inform they forgot one! Left 'em a message yesterday. Hope to install the one I got today and will provide feed back after some live fire. Will try in the wife's .38 first.

Only fired 50 rounds so far. After some practice the next couple weeks and 2 monthly matches the 3rd weekend of December I'll give an update.

Three 1 target dumps, one 2 target progressive sweep and one 4 target Nevada sweep as fast as I could cycle the rifle. Had 2 misses on the Nevada sweep. Oh the extractor, right.

Rifle work without a hitch. Ejected all rounds approximately at 2 o'clock two feet away.  

OK--- Tried the first one in  Ellie's 1894 CS .38/357. Brain faded and didn't try the gun with the old extractor first:(. I installed it as Frontier Mick did by pushing it out backwards out of the tube and right into the bolt, which kept the spring captive the whole way. The video showed pushing the retaining pin out from the bottom of the bolt, which I did and didn't remove it all the way. Had a bit of difficulty getting it back into the bottom hole and noticed the pin was tapered on the top end only. Maybe it got reversed B4 I bought the gun. Fired 50 rounds at different speeds and had NO issues. Brass landed just ahead of my lead foot and just to my right which would be close to 2:00. In about a 16" circle. I think I would prefer more towards 3:00 as if, I was in front of a table I think they would have landed on it. Due to my bum shoulder during one run of ten I was holding the fore stock close to the receiver and could feel the brass hitting my fingers, so they don't go out far. I used 125 gr. TC bullets in nickel cases. 3 of which split, but had no issue extracting. The cycling did feel smooth, but, as stated above, I didn't try it B4 the modification! I will try to be more scientific when I get the other one and install it in my .45 Cowboy Competition;)

P.S. Just got off the phone with Ranger Point to inform of being short one, they were most gracious and apologetic and will get the other one out today. I have no issue with the shortage as these things happen! Especially on Black Friday!

Archived