SASS Wire Forum

Crashed my bike. On the Mend

Pat Riot

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everybody,

I am home now. Man, what a week! I will do a longer post tomorrow as I am worn out and sore. 

I am am just happy to be home and all your posts have brightened my day.

I am definitely going to follow the doctor's directions. At this point I have 4 to heed. ;)

See you all in the morning...well, you know what I mean.:D

Rest, rehab, recover, repeat...........over and over, til you're back in the saddle.

Capt RHK 

Hi,

Well, life is weird when nothing is normal and everything hurts...

I got home from the hospital Saturday afternoon and my wife and I commenced the dance of figuring out what works and what doesn't. When you have a leg injury you modify some things to adapt. When you have a broken arm or shoulder injury you modify some things to adapt.

Things are a little harder when you have:

1. a damaged right foot that you cannot put any weight at all.
  2. broken right scapula - can't raise arm without excruciating pain. PT is fun. Can't put much weight on it using walker
  3. Inflamed old fractured vertabrae injury, T8 , that sits low between the shoulder  blades.
  4. 4 fractured ribs, right side. ribs 3 -7. Rib 6 is attached to T8. 
  5. Various bruises and abrasions and muscle pain.
  6. AND to add insult to injury my left wrist thumb  joints & wrist joints have decided to get in on the act. They hurt in the hospital but now I need a wrist brace.
  7. Not to mention all the issues with taking medicine, like; Oxycodone, nerve pain meds & muscle relaxers.

You find out real quick how much you take for granted. Without going into more boring details I will just say everything we thought would work for everything from going to the bathroom to resting has either not worked out or has to have been modified through trial and error. Sometimes as a result of terrific eye watering pain, like; tennis balls on your walker feet slide on rugs and carpet but slip on hardwood and tile - slip the walker right out from underneath you and cause you much shoulder leg and foot pain. Wheelchairs SUCK, period. Locked wheels aren't. Keeping the rear handholds from scraping the wall results in ramming sensitive toes into the opposite wall in  the halls / doorways. Little things like that.

I haven't actually seen the damage to my bike but have seen photos. I can't get into my garage. Maybe after I get a better fitting more maneuverable wheelchair...

All in all though, I am very lucky.  I am alive. I have sick time. I have insurance, I have my wife, my daughter flew in to help me, I have you all, I will heal and this pain and discomfort is temporary. Life is GOOD :D  

Too bad we are so far apart. We could set up a mini recovery home for you and my wife.

Oh well, can I tell you a couple of sausage jokes to cheer you up?:D

Heal up pard. 

All the best

C.L.Kid  

If you were closer we could set you right up. I broke my legs and my wife mended me. My boy wrecked his bike and my wife mended him. My boy wrecked his bike again and....... well, you see where this is going. We got all the stuff! 

Day at a time pard.

The help you will really appreciate is the help given to your bride to help her help you. Make sure she gets a break too. 

Thinkin of both of you. We know EXACTLY the struggle you face. 

And the chicks are diggin my boys scars so THAT one is true.... He tells them he was attacked by a shark.

Slim, Tracey, Joseph and Emily.

Three Musketeers...HMMmmmmm...Chocolate. ;)

Thanks Slim, J Mark and BCM, but chicks diggin' scars might turn into Mary diggin' a night time plot somewhere as I lie about attractin' flies. :blink: :D

Glad you are home. 

Have a friend come over and put handicap bars on the wall next to the toilet and other strategic locations in your house.

Our current house came with them. We planned to take them out. Figured out pretty quick that they are handy Have them in both bathrooms and the hallway steps. 

When my mom had her knee replaced I put them in her bathroom. Buy the good stainless steel ones. Not all that expensive but will make life easier while you heal.

Consider renting an adjustable hospital bed for a month. Set it up in a good location. even if that means rearranging the furniture for a while.  They are not that expensive and the store will set it up and take it down.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Glad you are home. 

Have a friend come over and put handicap bars on the wall next to the toilet and other strategic locations in your house.

Our current house came with them. We planned to take them out. Figured out pretty quick that they are handy Have them in both bathrooms and the hallway steps. 

When my mom had her knee replaced I put them in her bathroom. Buy the good stainless steel ones. Not all that expensive but will make life easier while you heal.

Consider renting an adjustable hospital bed for a month. Set it up in a good location. even if that means rearranging the furniture for a while.  They are not that expensive and the store will set it up and take it down.

good advice here!!

That bed is a Godsend for my boy. You can get one for fairly cheap without all the bells and whistles. It really helps him be comfortable on his bad days. I should have suggested it. Great ideas Dave!

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Glad you are home. 

Thanks Dave,

I have the Sleep Number Adjustable bed. Not only does it adjust for comfort it also adjusts like a hospital bed. This has come in handy a few times in the past 10 years. Someone's s bit accident prone around this household ;)

My wife got me set up in the living room for day use and rearranged the bedroom to make it easier to get around in there. She picked up and installed a raised toilet seat with built in rails for ease of use and she picks up the new shower / tub bench seat for use the the main bath tomorrow morning. It sits across the top of the tub rail so you can sit on outside the tub, slide across the bench into the tub area, pull the curtain and take a shower. :)

I think she must like me...She takes real good care of me ;):D

Once you get healed up enough you'll find a walking stick is helpful getting up from a seated position.

That ain't yet.

Awful glad you're home.

Bed's more comfortable and the cookin' is better.

Wish I had some good sound advice or maybe a good home remedy but all my remedies are either chicken soup or involve high concentrations of distilled grain sprouts and I reckon you already got chicken soup and Kentucky drain opener.

Once you start PT ask for the pain meds BEFORE you start.

It takes meds taken by mouth 30 minutes to start working.

Glad you are home now, on the mend, and have excellent home health care (wife) to help take care of you. Do whatever the doctor tells you for rehab and don't overdo it. 

Y'all are too much :lol:

Today I get to go out.,.to the DMV. :blink:

Have to submit my accident report.

It's but after reviewing the Deputy's accident report I got the actual address of the house I landed in front of. I looked it up on Google street view and looked at the area from different angles. The first thing that struck me (hehe) was that as soon as I saw the roadway from the angle of attack (hehehe) the entire memory of the incident came rushing back. I could where everything went down in sequence. That dude didn't pull out of a roadway, he pulled out of a long driveway. The view that he had was completely unobstructed. There is no flippin' reason he shouldn't have seen me but apparently he did not and here we are. 

I wish I had the ability to recreate the crash on Google street view so I could show my Insurance assessor but I do plan to call him later today and walk him through it in Google.

Man, I hate taking this Oxy-crap-done. It makes me feel weird...and think weird. 

Gotta run, I am just killing me with puns today...:D

At least I think they're funny...like I said, "Weird".

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

"Man, I hate taking this Oxy-crap-done. It makes me feel weird...AND THINK WEIRD.

How's that different from before the crash? :P

OLG

I hadn't noticed anything different either, OLG

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory last forever

Don't know about the glory lasting forever, but the "story" certainly will.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Y'all are too much :lol:

Today I get to go out.,.to the DMV. :blink:

Have to submit my accident report.

It's but after reviewing the Deputy's accident report I got the actual address of the house I landed in front of. I looked it up on Google street view and looked at the area from different angles. The first thing that struck me (hehe) was that as soon as I saw the roadway from the angle of attack (hehehe) the entire memory of the incident came rushing back. I could where everything went down in sequence. That dude didn't pull out of a roadway, he pulled out of a long driveway. The view that he had was completely unobstructed. There is no flippin' reason he shouldn't have seen me but apparently he did not and here we are. 

I wish I had the ability to recreate the crash on Google street view so I could show my Insurance assessor but I do plan to call him later today and walk him through it in Google.

Man, I hate taking this Oxy-crap-done. It makes me feel weird...and think weird. 

Gotta run, I am just killing me with puns today...:D

At least I think they're funny...like I said, "Weird".

I've ridden a couple hundred thousand miles & somehow survived. Over that time I developed a theory about why people sometimes pull out right in front of bikes or make left turns in front of oncoming bikes. My thinking is the problem with bikes is they are basically tall & narrow - like fence posts & trees & utility poles & traffic signs & well, you get the picture. Cars are shorter & much wider. Driving down the road your mind is conditioned to ignore certain shapes. If you had to evaluate every shape you saw you wouldn't have time to watch the road. At least that's my opinion ........

Best wishes Pat.

Get well soon Pat. I ride myself and even work at a bike shop. I hate it when I hear about bikers tangling with cagers. My advice, treat every cager like they are going to try to kill you and avoid them at all costs. I hope you get better quickly and start putting down two wheeled miles and blowing some smoke and lead soon...

Boomstick 

On 7/22/2017 at 6:59 PM, Michigan Slim said:

My boy, a fellow speed bump, says HI!, get well and do what your told! 

Slim,

Tell him I said "Hello". Also tell him that had I been wearing 1 of my 2 motorcycle jackets with foam / synthetic armor protection I may not have had as many upper body bone injuries. I am pretty sure there would have been some broken ribs but maybe not as many. I may of had the fractured shoulder blade and the road rash, bruising and welts (I have no idea how I got these on my sides). Had I not been wearing steel toed boots I probably wouldn't have crushed the metatarsal bones in my right foot. If I would have had motorcycles pants with armor at the knees I may not have had the bruising and road rash.

Also, if my bike had ABS braking I may have been able to maneuver without fear of flipping the bike when the rear end had slid around to the left and I could not straighten it out to keep from hitting the car.

Now, the above is all "what ifs" or "maybes" but just tell him that if he gets an urge or an inkling to wear a certain helmet or jacket or whatever but opts not to because it's hot or a bit more restrictive tell him to go with the safer decision that way those "what ifs" are covered later on. I actualy had my motorcycle jacket on and switched to my Wrangler blue denim jacket before I left the house that morning. That motorcycle jacket has elbow, shoulder and spine padding as well as collar bone padding.

Best Regards to your son,

Pat

Well, I feel a little better. I can actually type on my keyboard without having a gnawing pain eating away at my shoulder, shoulder blade and upper ribs. Yesterday just writing a paragraph took me forever and hurt like crazy. I would get this "giant toothache" in my shoulder when trying to post here. Up until today some of the posts that I made took me over an hour each to type because I had to keep taking breaks. I can actually move my arm from the mouse to the keyboard with little pain. Nice :)

I now have a wheelchair ramp for my garage door that will come in handy. The Adjuster came yesterday and assessed my bike damage. They will be totalling my bike :(:(:(

I got to use the ramp, well, my wife and daughter did, to get me out to look at my bike. It's all cosmetic and looks fairly easy to repair except the frame is cracked up where the stops are for the front end assembly. On Harley's it's called the "triple tree". I cannot look at the break but the Adjuster showed me photos thta show the crack. At first I thought, screw it, they can total it and I will buy it back and fix it myself, BUT, here's the kicker, the right side handlebar controls impacted the tank. This means the bts went past the stops. You cannot turn the bars now far enough to hit the tank with the bars so it appears the stops work. This tells me that more than the frame stops are affected. Something in that frame had to break to allow the frame stops to flex, bend, break, whatever,,,enough for the bar controls to impact the tank.

I saw a guy's bike frame separate at the triple tree while he was going down the road years ago. His circumstance was micro-fissures in an aluminum frame but the result was the same as what I could envision happening on this bike.

So, I have decided to let this bike go and replace it with another model that has ABS and perhaps better maneuvering capabilities. Yes, I do plan to keep riding.

Gotta run, I have reached my limits :D

Archived