SASS Wire Forum

Dropped long gun penalty change?

According to the current Shooter's Handbook and RO1 "any dropped unloaded firearm is a stage disqualification".  

In the case of a long gun that slides off a prop to the ground without breaking the 170, I was informed that it was only a "minor safety" as the rule had been changed.  

Handbooks seem clear to me but,

Have I slept through a rule change or is that still a SDQ?

Any unloaded gun dropped during a stage will result in Stage Disqualification. Dropped

unloaded guns away from the line will be a no call. A shooter is forbidden from picking up a

dropped gun. The Range Officer will recover the gun, examine it, clear it (if necessary),

return it to the shooter, and assess the penalty. A dropped loaded gun is a Match Disqualification.

An open, empty long gun that slips and falls after being set down and does not

break the 170° safety rule or sweep anyone will result in either a “Prop Failure” call or a

10-second Minor Safety Violation, depending upon the circumstance.

As long as the shooter has contact with the firearm, it is considered as still in their control.

No call should be made until the firearm comes to rest—wherever that may be. Then

determine the condition of the firearm at rest and whether or not the 170° safety rule was

ever broken on its way to its final resting point in order to assess the proper penalty (if any at

all).

If I remember correctly if you place a gun on a prop and it slides straight off without stopping it is a dropped gun, if it comes to rest and then something else causes it to slide off it has slipped and fallen

Randy

my understanding is the same as Randy.....notes from a TG meeting

The difference between "Slips and falls" and "dropped" was made. If the rifle is restaged and is momentarily stationary THEN falls it qualifies as "slips and falls" otherwise if it never ceases motion it is "dropped". We've all seen a shooter release a rifle or shotgun that hits the table and bounces forward and off the table. That is a dropped firearm and results in a SDQ.

Stan

48 minutes ago, Appalachian Alan said:

As long as the shooter has contact with the firearm, it is considered as still in their control.

No call should be made until the firearm comes to rest—wherever that may be. Then

determine the condition of the firearm at rest and whether or not the 170° safety rule was

ever broken on its way to its final resting point in order to assess the proper penalty (if any at

all).

The minimum penalty is a minor safety.  If it breaks to 170, you've earned your stage DQ. Been like this as long as I can remember. 

CR

Any empty long gun that slips and falls but does not break the 170 rule is a MSV (page 72 RO1 manual), if it breaks the 170 rule it is a SDQ (page 73 RO1 manual).

1 hour ago, Max Montana, SASS #23907 said:

Tanks pards fer joggin' my rememory.  I'd fergottin' the "slips & falls" exception.

Memory is the first thing to go - Can't remember the next one ... :blink:

Archived