SASS Wire Forum

Sierra Steve

43 minutes ago, Jasper Agate said:

While I prefer the 45/90, I've witnessed the 38/70 and 38/72 do very well at long range and even won a couple of matches at Creedmoor distances. I'll admit that the weather was about perfect and the wind cooperated. 

JA

Every once in awhile-The planets and stars will align. ^_^

OLG

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

.40-65 cases ,,,,,,,,,, Simple take a new .45-70 case ,,, put your .40-65 size die in the press pull handle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, New .40-65 Case ....

The Simple fact is that  with  bullets with the same SD. the one moving the fastest will be less affected by wind ...

Jabez Cowboy

So why are are the target 22LR loaded to a slower speed then standard velocity 22LR?  I guess, the 22LR target ammo companies must have it all wrong.  Look thru the SPG's book "Reloading Primer"  it shows 40 caliber ballistic tables.  The 400 grain RCBS bullet at muzzle  velocity of 1100 fps drifts 107.73 inches at 1000 yards, when the speed INCREASES to 1200 fps, drift increase to 119.01 inches.  At 1300 fts, the drift is 128.97 inches.  I think there is a pattern forming here that shows the faster bullet drifts more, not less.

1 minute ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

Look thru the SPG's book "Reloading Primer"  it shows 40 caliber ballistic tables.  The 400 grain RCBS bullet at muzzle  velocity of 1100 fps drifts 107.73 inches at 1000 yards, when the speed INCREASES to 1200 fps, drift increase to 119.01 inches.  At 1300 fts, the drift is 128.97 inches.  I think there is a pattern forming here that shows the faster bullet drifts more, not less.

?? That's not possible...

Original Lumpy hit the results. The data shows that larger calibers and more power tend to win the BPCR and Creedmore matches.

Everything I've read on long range says a heavier bullet will outperform a light one in the wind.

Back to the original OP. He's hooting SASS long range which is usually Junior long range speed matches.  Reloading and acquiring the targets are far more important than what bullet weight one shoots.

Ike

On 7/17/2017 at 1:15 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Get a "Uberti" 1885 Highwall in .40-65 !!!

And You can do it all !!!

Put "Lee Shaver" front Globe site and Long-rang Shoule Site on it ...

Jabez Cowboy

That's my choice, fast lock time, plenty heavy enough will reach out beyond 500 yards if you need to. Definitely need the Lee Shavers sights that Jabez suggested. I have the exact set-up except with the Lee Shavers midrange soule sight. It's a tack driver. Very few SASS long range matches go out beyond 500 yards. 

As mentioned above, the "long range" single shot events at most SASS matches are 100-300 yards and more of a single shot speed match. Any of the rifles above will give great accuracy at those ranges. For sheer speed, however, I would recommend the Browning Hi-Wall in 45-70. The Hi-Wall actually will cause your brass to fall out of the gun without using an ejector, something that none of the other rifles will do for you except the H&R break top, which I don't like for purely personal reasons. The Browning is different than the Uberti Hi-wall in that when you lever the Browning, the rifle goes to a full cock, the Uberti only goes to a half-cock if I recollect, making pulling the hammer to full cock another step to do between shots. 

The two I have are a Uberti Billy Dixon in 45-70 and a Uberti 1876 in 45-75, both are real nice looking rifles and would likely allow one to shoot in two different categories.  At the time I would have loved the option of getting the Billy Dixon in 45-90 but alas they were not available back yonder!  I have had both of mine for a few years or +++ more and at the time I purchased them I was able to get the guns and most of their accompanying equipment for under two thou each.  I have the deluxe Pedersoli sights for my Billy Dixon and just the standard sights on the 1876.  There are a few guys out there who can improve the Pedersoli sights quite a bit BUT I have been told they are not a true example of turning a sows ear into a silk purse but mine are better than I am???      

3 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

?? That's not possible...

I am no expert and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn express lately but from the reading I have done bullets behave very differently ballistically when they are supersonic than they do when subsonic. The effects of bullet shape are also different. 

The big heavy bullets most popular for BPCR have the most predictable behavior. That comes from spending most if not all of their flight time subsonic

I have a Uberti 1885, a Springfield 1873, a Rolling Block all in .45-70 with tang sights as well as a Spencer in .45 Colt

Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70 with a tang sight and a Hadley eyepiece is my go to Buffalo Match rifle.

Mind you, the Sharps are sold by the pound and you will have to develop good arm muscles to shoot it standing, off hand.:P

you cannot go wrong with the suggestions above , i have the pedersoli sharps in 4570 and it handles both BP and smokeless without thinking about it , just load correctly you will be fine , this is not generally a high volume loading condition so take your time and keep it simple , enjoy what you do - "its got to be the going , not the getting there thats good?

My two cents for what it's worth. I have won the VA State match long range rifle 5 times and the Delaware state match twice as well as some misc matches with my H&R Buffalo classics in 45/70 and 38-55. I have three, one with two barrels. They are accurate, cheap, and fast. Most matches are 300 yards or less but have shot them out to 500 with no problems. They may not be Quigley accurate but they are Quigley fast. I have highwalls, rolling blocks, martinis, and trapdoors as well but cannot beat the H&R for speed. I use a Krag 1901 carbine sight for all my Buffs and trapdoors. Easy to change elevation and windage. Bought them all for < $100 each at gun shows and auction site, also use them on my trapdoors. I do open the peep a little for better target acquisition. Like I said just my two cents but the proof is in the winning.

Big Gus

krag.jpg

1 hour ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

My two cents for what it's worth. I have won the VA State match long range rifle 5 times and the Delaware state match twice as well as some misc matches with my H&R Buffalo classics in 45/70 and 38-55. I have three, one with two barrels. They are accurate, cheap, and fast. Most matches are 300 yards or less but have shot them out to 500 with no problems. They may not be Quigley accurate but they are Quigley fast. I have highwalls, rolling blocks, martinis, and trapdoors as well but cannot beat the H&R for speed. I use a Krag 1901 carbine sight for all my Buffs and trapdoors. Easy to change elevation and windage. Bought them all for < $100 each at gun shows and auction site, also use them on my trapdoors. I do open the peep a little for better target acquisition. Like I said just my two cents but the proof is in the winning.

Big Gus

krag.jpg

I fully understand that a lot of clubs hold timed long range matches.  But, if folks would read the rules once in a while, they would see that rules plainly stipulate that the match should emphasize precision rather than speed.  Just so no one has to go look up the rules, here is a pertinent part:

LONG RANGE (or PRECISION) RIFLE

"SASS long range or precision rifle competition is different than main match rifle competition with more emphasis placed on precision shooting at longer ranges, with time being a secondary scoring factor. Scoring for these matches is determined by the number of hits, with either of two methods used to break ties. At the match director‘s option, either total time used to shoot the required number of shots or a shoot-off may be used to break ties."

When using speed, for “shorter” long range distances, the precision match just turned into longer main match.  What’s the point of calling it a long range match where the range is short and time counts more than precision?  The fix is an easy one, just use smaller targets.  Then, as the rules stipulate “more emphasis placed on precision shooting”.  I have shot at matches where a 6 inch metal square at 300 yards is use to break ties.  It was a bit a challenge, but a few accomplished long range rifle shoots did hit that target.  A precision rifle match should challenge a shooter to hit small targets at distance rather than determine who can hit the target the fastest.

Longrange to me begins at 300 yards and I have shot Cowboy matches where targets out to 1,184 yards were shot and hit ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived