SASS Wire Forum

End of Trail 2018- New Dates!

Amber Oakley SASS#88493

The weather normally cools off the day after EOT ends, so a week later may be better?:wub:

51 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Also conflicts with the ND/SD State shoot. There typically were a number of shooters from there that would attend.

Messes up with Hell on Wheels shoot in Cheyenne which has just moved to the last weekend June to accomodate shooters after EOT too.:o

Also Prince of Pistoleers in KS on that first weekend. A lot of shoots were co ordinated around those EOT dates, and school holidays too. 

Be interesting to see how folks feel about this change

Also conflicts with the dates for The Revenge in Cortez, CO that many shooters attend as a warm-up for EOT. Wonder if the weather is that much different a week or two earlier.

Weather is fickle and don't think changing dates will change the weather.

For all the states that have matches that will now conflict, an equal number are no longer in conflict with EOT. Can't make everyone happy.

10 minutes ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

For all the states that have matches that will now conflict, an equal number are no longer in conflict with EOT. Can't make everyone happy.

That may be true, but you get to tell it to the kids that will be still in school.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

The weather normally cools off the day after EOT ends, so a week later may be better?:wub:

This is pretty close to the truth.  According to the National Weather Service the summer rainy season (aka monsoon season) in ABQ starts on average on July 9th.  With the rain and cloud cover temps drop.  Moving EOT a week earlier in June lessens the chance of monsoon season thunderstorms affecting the event.

The Buckerett and Buckeroo competition might suffer. I wonder if the Wilcox family and other families with school age kids will be able to attend.

Why was this change made?

When was this decision made?

Was any research made to see how it affects others who may already have hotel/motel reservations made.

Sure sounds like many Jr. shooters will not make it-That means the family's won't either, and your attendance will drop like a rock. :rolleyes:

OLG

1 hour ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Please tell us when any survey was done, to see how the effect of this date change would impact others.

Can't make everyone happy" , That's a great attitude and a sound way to increase membership- NOT! :rolleyes:

OLG

5 minutes ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

I think you are getting upset at the wrong person. I DID NOT MAKE THE CHANGE, SASS DID.

Go back and reread the second line in my post, where I quote your caviler remark. ;)

OLG

I checked dates of annual matches this year and the only conflicts occurred with the EOT Wild Bunch Match. Shooters could shoot the annual matches and then shoot EOT including warm-up and side matches. That will not be the case with the new dates of EOT.

1 hour ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Change is inevitable (except from a vending machine)

Well that solves the problem doesn't it?

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why was this change made?

When was this decision made?

Was any research made to see how it affects others who may already have hotel/motel reservations made.

Sure sounds like many Jr. shooters will not make it-That means the family's won't either, and your attendance will drop like a rock. :rolleyes:

OLG

I would have thought that some consultation with shooters or a poll even taken, say on the wire, before a decision like this would be made.

Weve all endured the weather for the past 11 years, without a problem , this date change could see us with adverse weather too, who knows what the weather is going to do, there's more important considerations I would have thought to take into account than just the weather.?

21 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Well that solves the problem doesn't it?

For every problem that someone sees, others see opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

For every problem that someone sees, others see opportunity. 

Joe, better watch yourself, some of the folks need a chill pill and seem to want to take their frustration out on people making any simple comments. Now I know why so many folks don't bother with the wire.

When EOT moved their date from the last weekend of April to the current date in 2006, clubs eventually set up their schedules around EOT. We just had to deal with it, and with all the shooting in June and July in this region few of us that helped run matches could take enough time off to shoot EOT and our local annuals. EOT in CA was held the last week of April, the kids still attended. Never been to EOT at the current date because I can't tolerate the heat, has the weather been that much cooler during the Wild Bunch match in order to justify the rescheduling? One week doesn't seem to make much difference in the weather around here, things must be different in NM than Wyoming. Memorial Day sounds better to me. 

23 hours ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

The new date is the same as the ND-SD state shoot. This will make it impossible for several of us who have attended the last few years to be at EOT

I feel your pain, or at least I did.  When SASS moved EOT to the date in June before this latest move, they dropped it right on top of our State Match here in Maryland.  Not sure a week shift ahead will be much of a help to us, but at least it's not on top of us anymore.

Truth be told, there are so many Annual, State, and above matches, it will never be possible to pick a date that doesn't interfere with someone.   I would love to move the Divisional to sometime in the summer when schools are out, but every weekend has something scheduled.  Other than a giant revamp and coordination of all of the annual and above matches, there is no real way to fix this, and even then, its probable that someone, somewhere, would be shortchanged.  It's unfortunate, but I believe it is a fact of life.

The Revenge annual shoot here in SW Colorado has been shooting this weekend for 17 years and NOW we have to change to accomadate EOT. No coordination from SASS on this, that's for sure.

Change looks good to us, our schools let out May 25th. Looking forward to seeing all the new ideas and changes SASS will bring to the 2018 World Championships. A progressive move forward always come with change and much trial and error. Kudos to those wanting to move forward and evolve our little shooting game.

Slick

This thread is now no longer valid, and should be removed.:o

2 minutes ago, Slick McClade said:

Maybe I missed this , where is it posted that they are no longer June 7-17??

Archived