SASS Wire Forum

"When you feel the 'chute open it's a good feeling"

Subdeacon Joe

Saw an article here on the confuser, where some dude jumped and didn't pull the rip cord.

Apparently he sent his wife a note and said he was not going to do so, but he

had already jumped before anyone could stop him. 

6 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Saw an article here on the confuser, where some dude jumped and didn't pull the rip cord.

Yeah, down in Florida at one of the big skydiving clubs. The airport radioed the pilot but he had just jumped. Strange.

7 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

A guy I worked with about 15 years ago was an avid skydiver.  He would bring in newsletters from various skydiving groups.  Seems that it isn't all that uncommon.  I would look through the incident reports and every month there seemed to be one or two suicides by jump.  Plus a couple of fatalities by bad landings, 'chute failure, and the like.  Lots of injuries, too.

'

If that don't bring back memories.... I do have to disagree with the statement that airborne school is one of the toughest in the Army. It was actually the easiest school I went to. Maybe it isn't a fair comparison though, as it was also the only school I went to that allowed women at the time. True story, my first jump in airborne school was on my 19th birthday. Someone thought it would be funny to tell the jump masters so I got moved up in the chalk to the door. That was pretty intense and certainly one of the most memorable birthdays I've ever had.

8 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

If that don't bring back memories.... I do have to disagree with the statement that airborne school is one of the toughest in the Army. It was actually the easiest school I went to. Maybe it isn't a fair comparison though, as it was also the only school I went to that allowed women at the time. True story, my first jump in airborne school was on my 19th birthday. Someone thought it would be funny to tell the jump masters so I got moved up in the chalk to the door. That was pretty intense and certainly one of the most memorable birthdays I've ever had.

I'm with you. Three weeks after 6 months of  OCS wasn't bad at all. I was in the best shape of my life.

First jump was easy. Second one made you think a bit.

after jump school I rarely made a day jump. Always in the dark..

20 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

With you 100%, but for some it might have been think it depends on what you did in the military. I went to Ranger School in 1989 and then was an RI 1995-97 always looked at the guys going through it and thinking why did I put myself through that? Now at 50 and sound like a popcorn maker when I move I wonder why I kept doing it for 20 years. LOL

9 hours ago, Smokey Shayne said:

With full respect for all the paratroopers.......the first thing I thought of when I was the title of the post, was Top Fuel dragsters.

:lol:

Yeah - must be a good feeling for them, too.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:28 AM, Redwood Kid said:

...Someone thought it would be funny to tell the jump masters so I got moved up in the chalk to the door. That was pretty intense and certainly one of the most memorable birthdays I've ever had.

Always loved being ib the door. Except during winter. It's amazing how fast you can get frostbite with a 120 knot breeze. :D

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Always loved being ib the door. Except during winter. It's amazing how fast you can get frostbite with a 120 knot breeze. :D

That's why it was a birthday present haha. I spent the majority of my time in central and southern America. It doesn't get quite as cold in the door. Though I did do Ranger school in the winter and remember that jump being really cold.

Archived