SASS Wire Forum

Shooting strategy with new scoring method

for maybe the top 1/2 of 1% of  shooters, there might be a slight difference in how they approach a RP vs TT match. for the rest of us mere mortals, not so much.  Smooth is fast. my observation is more time is lost loading shotgun than any other action we do. 

I'm going to stay with my strategy I have been perfecting for several years, practice and do my best possible that day ;)

11 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I go and shoot and have a good time!  Never even cared if it was Rank Points or Total Time, just shot the match.

+1

4 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

I'm going to stay with my strategy I have been perfecting for several years, practice and do my best possible that day ;)

+1

Captain, you can't be doing that practice stuff you're talking about if you plan on coming to play with the Regulators at Billy the Kid's Breakout.

I always approached both types of matches the same, try to be smooth and clean.  Usually the shooters who pull out all the stops for a total time match get to outshooting their ability and end up with misses and procedurals.  I agree with Hoss, for us mortals it really does not make much difference, it is only the top shooters who this will affect.

I have always been a supporter of total time scoring, because it assesses penalties uniformly for all shooters.  However shooting a rank point match never bothered me.  I just shot my match, and let the chips fall where they may.

16 minutes ago, Tracker Jack Daniels, 58780 said:

I always approached both types of matches the same, try to be smooth and clean.  Usually the shooters who pull out all the stops for a total time match get to outshooting their ability and end up with misses and procedurals.  I agree with Hoss, for us mortals it really does not make much difference, it is only the top shooters who this will affect.

I have always been a supporter of total time scoring, because it assesses penalties uniformly for all shooters.  However shooting a rank point match never bothered me.  I just shot my match, and let the chips fall where they may.

+1

Here are some questions for you to consider.

Total Time scoring:

Shooter gets a SDQ, shooter is scored by number of targets X 5 + 30= 150 sec for a 10-10-4 stage (the maximum score for that stage) Right?

Shooter gets a MDQ. Say all stages are a 10-10-4. Then, the shooter would be given a 150 sec on every stage. Right?

A shooter's time on one stage is 200 sec, what is the score that is written down, 150 sec (maximum score), or 200 sec?

Snakebite

20 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Total Time scoring:

Shooter gets a SDQ, shooter is scored by number of targets X 5 + 30= 150 sec for a 10-10-4 stage (the maximum score for that stage) Right?

Shooter gets a MDQ. Say all stages are a 10-10-4. Then, the shooter would be given a 150 sec on every stage. Right?

A shooter's time on one stage is 200 sec, what is the score that is written down, 150 sec (maximum score), or 200 sec?

Snakebite

In this case, wouldn't the shooter just get the max score of 150?

It would be interesting to see the number of misses included in the EOT scores.  I suspect that very few if any of the top 20 shooters had misses.  Evil Roy demonstrates in his DVDs that 5 seconds is an eternity.  Trying to shoot clean is not a bad strategy.

44 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

As  a graduate of Sawyers Shooting School, I can say I know the answer. Shoot fast and don't miss. ;)

That's what I try to do, regardless of scoring method.

HOWEVER! If a match/club uses the Rank Score 999 seconds penalty for a SDQ in a TOTAL TIME match, you won't see me in attendance!

<_<

(some folks probably think that might be a GOOD thing)

:P

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, High Plains Hud SASS#64232 said:

Always just tried to be smooth and consistent. So is there a different way to do it now as far as strategy goes?

I think maybe you should slow up and take your time and make each shot count... :ph34r:

Totally kidding of course... I watch your shooting to try and improve my own.  Never seen a person shoot as smooth as yourself!  

To answer J-Bar's question 14 of the top 20 were clean.  5 had 1 miss.  1 had 2 misses.

I echo PWB you can't use 999 as the time for a SDQ unless you want zero attendance.

Thanks TJD, that is about what I expected.  You just can't win with a lot of misses in a field of strong competition.

3 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Total Time scoring:

Snakebite

I think the MDQ should still be 999.99 and let the SDQ be either the slowest on the stage + (time) or number of shots x 5 + (time) where time is set by the Match Director.  Folks with a MDQ should be on the bottom.  Any other method provides the chance someone will finish below the guy with the MDQ.

I don't think it is going to matter, HUD.   You are one of the few people I love to watch shoot. Your approach is perfect either way.  

3 hours ago, Texas Jack Daniels said:

To answer J-Bar's question 14 of the top 20 were clean.  5 had 1 miss.  1 had 2 misses.

I echo PWB you can't use 999 as the time for a SDQ unless you want zero attendance.

Just another example : I had one miss at EOT, I shot the stage in 13:33 ended up a 18.33. The one miss took me from 5th Overall to 10th Overall. A shooter in that level just can't have a miss, dosnt matter if its RP or TT.

8 hours ago, High Plains Hud SASS#64232 said:

Always just tried to be smooth and consistent. So is there a different way to do it now as far as strategy goes?

Hud: you're an excellent shooter. I have seen you win your category many times. Just keep doin what you're doin.

Irish Tom.

4 hours ago, Texas Jack Daniels said:

I'm old and forget my name most days so why would 999 cause folks to bypass the match??

Hi Cheyenne Ranger,

Example of a 10 stage match. 

You are shooting about 30 seconds a stage.  10 stages is 300 seconds.

The worst shooter at the match is shooting 50 seconds a stage.  10 stages is 500 seconds

You get 1 SDQ you now have 999 + (9x30) = 1,269 seconds.  You cannot recover from the SDQ.  A SDQ now look like a MDQ every time. 

Would cause people to quit with 1 SDQ or not show up at all.

No.

Just shoot the same ....

And enjoy not having your standing in your class decided by those shooting other types of Powder and Squaw Grippers...

Jabez Cowboy

Why??  Why is there even discussion about the "SCORE" for a MDQ??  If your MDQ'd you GO HOME??  It has been said "You can't miss fast enough to win."  TT means your score is based on your individual performance.  Win, Lose or Draw ...... It's on you. 

The discussion concerns how the scoring software deals with SDQ and MDQ.  Assigning a value of 999.99 for a MDQ makes sense, but assigning a value of 999.90 for an SDQ as was done under the old system, does not as that exceeds the "typical" maximum penalty for the stage which is based on 5 sec x Number of shots plus a penalty (typically 30 seconds) and for a typical 10, 10, 4 is 24 x 5 + 30 = 150 sec.  There is a greater amount of discussion on this in another the pinned thread.

Archived