SASS Wire Forum

Hammerless .357 Magnum

A coworker likes to carry a "hammer-less" .38 revolver and he asked me if anyone made a hammer-less/shrouded hammer DA revolver in .357.  I don't think I've ever seen one, but I thought I'd throw the question out there to you folks.  

Does anyone make a .357 DA revolver in a "hammer-less" or shrouded hammer configuration?  

Thanks,

Angus

The S&W 640 and 340PD are both hammerless. On occasion I carry a model 640. Good luck.

Yes.

There are a couple in this link:http://www.guns.com/review/five-hammerless-revolvers/

S&W has the 340 and the 640 in a few variations..(select .357 and Double Action only on this link)  https://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers

Out of the ones I see I would go with the Smith & Wesson...but, then again, I am biased.

I'll bet thems have no muzzle blast at all. ^_^

There not sumpin' you get any desire to go plinkin' with. IMO:D

Ruger makes a couple in .357: SP101 and the LCR.

I've shot a Scantium .357 S&W 2" with full power loads once; never again. Some things are just not meant to be; this is one of those things. I have a 4" Ruger GP100 .357 that's a handful at 40+ oz; less is not more with .357's.

Church Key

Wow, I knew I could count on you guys.

Rye Miles, I thought the 649 was just a Stainless version of the 49, which I have a copy of, in .38.  I didn't know they made them in .357 until now.

I also didn't know the Ruger LCR came in .357.

And I'd never heard of the S&W 640 or 340.

I guess I need to start wandering around gun shows again to eradicate this irritating ignorance that seems to be creeping up on me.

Thanks, I pass this on to my buddy.

Angus

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I'll bet thems have no muzzle blast at all. ^_^

The 38 Special 442 isn't bad, but I have never fired the .357 version. 

But remember, all of my firearms are VIRTUAL.

20 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

For a 2" snubbie, the .38+P is hard to beat.

A .357 in such a short barrel has quite a flash and bang, with no meaningful gain in velocity over the +P load.

I guess that depends on how you define meaningful. 125g 38 special +P Buffalo Bore load out of a 2" barrel should be right at 1072 fps with 319 ft-lb muzzle energy while 125g 357mag Buffalo Bore load out of the same barrel will be around 1276 fps with 452 ft-lbs muzzle energy.

To me, the real question is whether the increase of around 200 fps is worth the additional recoil and the answer to that will vary from individual to individual. My everyday carry tends to be a S&W M327 PC Scandium 357 mag with a 2" barrel loaded with Barnes VOR-TX .357 mag 140gr copper hollowpoints, and they are quite controllable for me

Pretty impressive for a snubbie -

While your choice of mfg. is limited to Ruger the 327 Federal Magnum is a better choice for a light handgun.  The LCR holds 6 & is lighter & more compact than the S&W snubby 357's.  The 327FM has similar ballistics to 357 125 grain cartridges.  The cartridge was developed by Federal for Ruger specifically for use in small light weight handguns to maximize terminal performance out of 2" or shorter barrels & minimize recoil.

• MODEL NUMBER: 5452
  •  
  • CALIBER: 327 FED MAG
  • GripHogue® Tamer™ Monogrip®
  • Front SightReplaceable, Pinned Ramp
  • Barrel Length1.87"
  • Cylinder FinishPVD

• Twist1:16" RH
  • Rear SightU-Notch Integral
  • FinishMatte Black
  • Weight17 oz.
  • Height4.50"

• Overall Length6.50"
  • Capacity6
  • Grooves6
  • CA ApprovedYes
  • MA Approved & CertifiedYes

Good info, JD.

Another option for a viable small revolver.

Ammo probably not as readily available everywhere but it ain't like a feller is going to blast thousands of rounds through one of these...

Screenshot_2017-07-13-05-36-51-1.png

I keep coming back to the reason for the 2" barrel. This is NOT a long range firearm. 

As a defense weapon, the best result are probably going to be in a range of between 3 feet and 

perhaps 10 feet. 

11 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I keep coming back to the reason for the 2" barrel. This is NOT a long range firearm. 

As a defense weapon, the best result are probably going to be in a range of between 3 feet and 

perhaps 10 feet. 

Yup. And almost all shots are center of mass with the last in the face. Problem solved.

If you HAVE to shoot someone, make it count. End the attack. Before the attack ends you.

Archived