SASS Wire Forum

Desert Eagles

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

Anyone here had experience with Desert Eagle pistols?  I see models made in Israel and models I think are made in America. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Col Del Rio

Years ago I had an opportunity to shoot one in 357 Magnum. We were outside on a 100-yard range. That gun managed to turn that 100-yard range into what felt more like bowling pins at 25 yards. Exceptional firearm but awfully big and bulky. More of a novelty, sort of a "look what I have" type and gun more than anything practical but a heck of a lot of fun. I always thought the one in 44 magnum would be the cat's meow, just because. 

4 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Greetings,

Anyone here had experience with Desert Eagle pistols?  I see models made in Israel and models I think are made in America. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Col Del Rio

This should answer your place of origin question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle

LL

A friend of mine has one in .50 cal.

We've only shot it a few times, basically because of his expense in buying the factory ammo.

It worked flawless and was literally a blast to shoot.  The .50 is a handful but because of the size and weight of the pistol, it was manageable.   But as Dantankerous mentioned above, it is more of a novelty unless you are gonna take a Jurassic hunting expedition.   The big .50 is not something you take out and plink with.

..........Widder

I've fired one in .44 Magnum and it was pleasant to shoot.  The Desert Eagle does require full power ammo, light loads won't function the gun.  I wouldn't mind owning one, but since I don't hunt, I can't justify $1000+ for a range toy.

Back around 93 got the 44mag and what a shooting machine it was. Shot it at the 25 yard range and what a shooter. One day decided to shoot at the 100 yard target & like Dantankerous said it was very dead on and with a rest could put them within 1.5" I have big hands and was no problem for me. It was a lot of fun to shoot and would turn eyes. One gun I wish I still had.

Too huge for my little girly hands.

These things can get purdy blingy too...

gold-desert-eagles-640x533.jpg

Apparently, Desert Eagles and fools aren't compatible:

http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/will-a-book-stop-a-bullet-lets-find-out.148648/

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

These things can get purdy blingy too...

gold-desert-eagles-640x533.jpg

Saddam Hussein's gun. Hated Isaelis. Liked their guns.

saddams_armory.jpg

Desert Eagles are in the same class of firearms as the rotary magazine Savage 99's & H&K squeeze cocker pistols.  These firearms have features not found in any other firearms.  The Savage's uniqueness is the rotary magazine that allowed the use of spitzer bullets in a lever action rifle with shallow depth receiver.  The H&K P7 series pistols are striker fired SAO which is safe until the front of the grip is squeezed.  It also has a rare slide locking system for a 9mm.  It is gas delayed blowback system.  I remember seeing one in a display cabinet next to a 50AE Gold DE in 1999 in an infamous "Sporting Goods" store located in San Leandro CA. The store was shut down by the ATF & CA DOJ for paperwork inventory problems involving 1K+ firearms.  As I remember the DE & P7 were in the same price class.  Besides the DE's magnum capability it is it's operating system that is unique for a true pistol (AR pistols don't count).  The DE can handle magnum pressures because it uses a gas operated rotary bolt typical of auto loading rifles. This is also why its' accuracy is inherently better than pistols using system where the barrel is not fixed to the receiver.  I.E. breech end of barrel drops down via link or cam to unlock from slide.  Hollywierd loves DE's; because, nothing coveys macho penis envy like a massive hand cannon.  When my son was a paramedic in Oakland CA one of his partners collected them.  They were partners until the partner became a Buddhist, sold his firearms, quit his job & moved to Nepal.

Archived