SASS Wire Forum

Kimber Solo

Nice little gun, springs need to be replaced every 500 rounds.  Very finicky about ammo - too much a diva - there

are better guns at the price point!

We did a square off of that gun, the PPk, the Kahr K9, and several other pocket pistols a few years back, among our selves.

Almost everyone of the many small 9's and 380's we compared among ourselves are gone.

Only the Kahr K9 and the Walther PPk survived. Everyone else has moved on to the Glock 43, or 42, the

Walther PPS M2, and the Sig small 9mm. 

The Solo looked so good too, at the start . .but it failed in the long run, too much bother to keep working right . . .

SC

I carry a Glock 43 now and would like something smaller. I did carry a Sig P238, and while I love 1911 style pistols figure something without an external safety is less likely to cause problems in an emergency. or if the wife needs it. I want a 9 over the 380.

56 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I carry a Glock 43 now and would like something smaller. I did carry a Sig P238, and while I love 1911 style pistols figure something without an external safety is less likely to cause problems in an emergency. or if the wife needs it. I want a 9 over the 380.

You might look into the Kahr MK9 or the polymer versions on that little gun.  It's a small 9mm that shoots very accurately, and with it's

low bore axis is more comfortable than anything else in that size/weight envelope.

SC 

One of the two worst functioning guns I've ever owned - the other is a Taurus Thunderbolt. I don't think the Kimber has ever made it through a full magazine without a jam of some sort, and this includes Kimber's recommended ammo types, as well as a dozen or more others. Less than a month after buying the Kimber, I picked up a Kahr CM9 at Scheel's for almost half the price, and it has functioned perfectly with everything I've put through it. Same size, slightly longer barrel, and works every time. The Solo really soured me on Kimber, and has been the deciding factor on every considering a Kimber again.

KahrSolo.jpg

If someone gave me a Kimber, I would sell it for what people think its worth and buy two good guns. Just my opinion.

Lumpy.  I fully agree on the S&W Shield in 9mm. for years I carried a Walther PP in 380 and I loved it. I will never sell it, but I always doubted the 380. About a year ago I bought a Smith Shield in 9mm and now it is all I carry and I do love it. I put a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights on it and boy  do they work well. Carry loads are the Sig Sauer 9mm Elite Performance ammo; 147 Grain JHP. they group very well at 12 yards and also work at 25 yards. Carry an extra 8 round mag with me at all times too. In FL since it is almost always Summer and I am in shorts, the  "Sticky" pocket holster does the job for me.  

Cheers, Hoss  C.

Archived