SASS Wire Forum

Both the CBS affiliate  and the NBC affiliate in ABQ report a lightning-caused fire is burning near Founders Ranch with thirty structures threatened.  The weather forecast for the next two days is for low winds so perhaps fire crews can contain the fire quickly.

Update: The KOB article and the KRQE article

2nd Update: The Mountain View Telegraph reports the fire is 20% contained and still burning.  KOB also reports 20% containment and has some aerial footage.

Fire was contained and mostly out by 5:00.  Had one small plane dropping retardant, and the Bernalillio County Sheriffs Dept helicopter dropping water from a portable tank on County Road 2 (northern boundry of Founder's).  SASS staff and Wild Bunch members on hand to gather up important stuff, position the water buffalos and other tanks, and move vehicles to gravel parking area.  I'm just glad we didn't have to truck out the longhorns.IMG_0438.thumb.JPG.62ea0d5afa46c4014f394cd827ac10ec.JPG

Fortunately, the prevailing winds were low and pushing the fire away from the Ranch, although they can swirl here.  Fire was probably 300 yards from Northeastern corner of the ranch. 

I'm just glad it didn't take hold, I was evacuated for 4 days last EOT due to the Dog Head Fire.

Glad to hear it's played out, checked the fire information sight Inciweb, and it didn't even become a listed incident..... Which is a good thing! Everybody around Edgewood stay vigilant! 

Shotgun,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Your pic is awesome, showing the ranch in all it's glory with a plume of smoke in the background just over the hills.

Nice photo, Shotgun Clay. Thank you. :)

I am glad the fire is no longer an issue. If I remember correctly the majority of the Firefighters in that area are volunteers. Perhaps not the Air Crews or the Forestry Service firefighters but many on the ground that rarely get mentioned. They all did a great job. :D

21 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

2nd Update: The Mountain View Telegraph reports the fire is 20% contained and still burning.

Stopped by earlier today, and there was no visible smoke or sign of fire crews, at least on our side of the hill.  Here's from near the main gate.

0711171409-01.thumb.jpg.0a96f085a8060d12d839f58061e28313.jpg

This article from the Mountain View Telegraph has a photo showing a plane dropping fire retardant on the ridge just above the FR town with the town in view.  It makes it clear what a close call the ranch had from the Collette Fire.

Archived