SASS Wire Forum

Water in the field, (USMC).

A recent thread by Alpo got me thinking, (frightening, I know). 

When I was a young Marine at Camp Lejune, and we were on a forced march, often we would come upon a water trailer, (Water Bull as they were known then), to refill our canteens.

The Alpo thread referred to SWAT teams and their water supplies. A poster indicated that canteens were unusual anymore, and that bottled water had taken their place.

Does anybody know if this travesty has taken the place of the beloved Water Bull? More times than I can remember, we would hike up to the Water Bull, hot, tired, and thirsty, to drink our fill, and refresh ourselves. I can't imagine walking up to a pallet of bottled water and feeling the same relief I did upon seeing the Water Bull.   

BTW, I hate bottled water and get my water strait from the tap. 

We called them a "water buffalo".  I believe they held maybe 500 gallons(?) or so.  

Saw an Army MVT pulling a water buffalo just the other day. To the best of my knowledge, they are still in wide use. However, in some parts of the world, bottled water is more practical.

Last time I was afield- which, admittedly, was not very recently- it was water buffaloes. I would fill my canteens, Nalgene bottle, CamelBak, and whatever else would carry water, unless it was for a hike- then it was canteens only, and dump the rest!

Come on now, who thinks the USMC has money for fancy bottled water?! The water buffaloes themselves are probably Vietnam vintage! :lol:

Bottled water is easier to transport to areas where local water is scarce or of poor quality. The Water Buffaloes are still in use and probably always will be in one form or another.

I wish we woulda had bottled water in Vietnam. Fewer of us would be dying. :(

Archived