SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Here

OsoBlanco

Welcome to the most fun you can legally have.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome OsoBlanco   Like you I lurked on the forums a long time before my first post. But I did go check out the local posse right after I found this site. I found everyone to be friendly and helpful. You will learn a lot by going to a shoot. Tell them you are interested, watch and ask questions.

3 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

So I CANNOT in fact, show up in just boots, wild rag, and a smile? 

Technically you don't even need the boots. One of the best ladies shooters in all of SASS, Half a hand Henri, is famous for shooting barefoot. :D

P.S. Bravo on the quick snappy comeback. You're going to have FUN in this game. :lol: 

3 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

Will this paisley wild rag make my beard look fat?

NO----- The grin on your face will hide the fat:D

Nah--- It'll be the new normal, at least you won't be alone. You're gonna wonder why you didn't find out about this a long time ago. I made a tragic mistake not going to a match as soon as I learned about CAS. With moving and building a house it took me about 10 years to gather guns, build a cart, get some clothes etc. Went to my first match and found out I could've started 10 years earlier due to the generosity, help and friendship that hit me in the face the moment I stepped out of my truck.

Cowpoke are an amazing bunch.

Welcome, OsoBlanco!  I'm a fellow South Carolinian; my home club is in Greenville (our matches are on the 4th Sunday) and I regularly shoot the matches in Belton (2nd Saturday) as well.

There are two clubs that shoot at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club near Columbia: Palmetto Posse (1st Saturday) and the Savannah River Rangers (3rd Sunday).  Here's a link to the SSR website:  http://www.savannahriverrangers.com/home.html  Kid Ray and his wife Sue Render run the SSR matches and they are just about the finest folks you would want to meet.

The SC State Match will be held in Columbia at the end of September so you are getting into the sport at a good time.

Another great club not too terribly far from you is the Geechee Gunfighters in the Ridgeland/Summerville area.  Their monthly match is on the 4th Saturday and they have an "Introduction to Cowboy Action Shooting" on the 2nd Saturdays of most months.

Send me a PM if I can help you at all.  I'd recommend that you come out to the next monthly match in Columbia that suits your schedule.  It's fine to contact the match director but it's also fine to just show up and meet the folks and check out the sport.  Don't sweat the costuming.  Most clubs implement "relaxed costuming" during the hot weather months anyway.  I've always told new folks, "You can show up wearing a gorilla costume for all I care, just come out!".

OsoBlanco, we would love to have you for the August match. This is the annual Jimmy Buffet match with a lot of fun stages and lines from Jimmy Buffet songs. It's always hot so come in something cool including your best island shirt. Feel free to join us early and get to know the cowboys and cowgirls, we'll even put some guns in your hands. And when the match is over it's lunch at Murray's. Look forward to meeting you.

Tucker T Fudpucker

Hi Oso,

I like your alias!  You must have a good sense of humor!  :lol:

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting!

Mo

Mr. Fudpucker, (i cant say that fast or bad things come out) I would love to join y'all in August.  Already on the calendar.  Slow Mod Dern, A good sense of humour is about all I've got.  To quote a line, "I never was any good at sums and could hardly spell cat."  And I literally look like a bear.

24 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

Mr. Fudpucker, (i cant say that fast or bad things come out) I would love to join y'all in August.  Already on the calendar.  Slow Mod Dern, A good sense of humour is about all I've got.  To quote a line, "I never was any good at sums and could hardly spell cat."  And I literally look like a bear.

OsoBlanco,

You must know one of Allie's rules of posting. You don't have to know how to spell cat. Just don't say anything bad (at least not in jest) about them. Or you will incur the dreaded "ruler." :lol::lol::lol:

This bunch welcomes all sorts of folks what resemble bears and them what exibits good facial follicle cultivation!!

I'm a prime example!! :lol:

Welcome!!!  Come on over ta' Tennessee an' visit fer a spell!!

28 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

Oh Mrs. Allie i love cats.  I just cant eat a whole one by myself!

Now ya went & done it ! Yer gonna get to know Allie REAL well ......:o:o

29 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

You'll fit right in.

9 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

OsoBlanco:

That is so.....5964c49c3629b_Laugh-BellyLaugh-Smaller.jpg.96058f2be0b755cd0cb9a13c999c5260.jpg...but I see you have already suffered the wrath of Ms. Allie.

I may have to take away your first LIKE. :P NOT!

10 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

Welcome OsoBalnco, 

I wish I would have looked at the Wire before I went and got all of my stuff but live and learn. Some good advise given by the folks, try it before you buy it! Only advise I can give is try different things until you find what works for you. Some people use things that are great for them but might not be great for you. Good luck and I am sure we will meet I have been told that SC is a great place to shoot, so I will be traveling up your way sometime I am sure. 

Look forward to shaking your hand Mr. Jack.  I'm definitely going to have to try a few different things before I buy.  I'm left handed, so i'm sure my ideal rig set up will be different from most.  I know my IDPA/IPSC/3 Gun setups cause my right handed friends to stumble and fumble and bumble.  I'm sure I'll look like a baby deer learning to walk the first time I get on the line. 

4 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

Look forward to shaking your hand Mr. Jack.  I'm definitely going to have to try a few different things before I buy.  I'm left handed, so i'm sure my ideal rig set up will be different from most.  I know my IDPA/IPSC/3 Gun setups cause my right handed friends to stumble and fumble and bumble.  I'm sure I'll look like a baby deer learning to walk the first time I get on the line. 

I have been doing it for just over a year and still looking like a baby deer! LOL But I will tell you I am having the time of my life doing it. The best part of this sport is the people, not just that they are nice but they are willing to help each other. You see people competing in the same category and one will have rifle go down on him/her and their competitors will let them use their rifle so they can keep shooting. This is something I haven't seen in other types of shooting I have competed in and that is why I love it....well that and I can dress like a cowboy!

Your first shoot just take your time, shoot slow and have fun with it. For me the hardest thing was remembering the sweeps from stage to stage, landed on my head a bunch jumping for 20 years!

Mr. Jack, you are 100% correct about the helpfulness I've already seen be so readily displayed here being glaringly absent in the other shooting disciplines.  Rifle goes down mid stage of a 3 gun round? Sorry bout your luck bro, see you next time.  Oh your c-more battery died on your open class pistol?  Hope you can get to a wal mart before your next round!  I also had a helluva time remembering the shoot order of each stage when I first started shooting.  I may dress up like Forrester from True Grit...

26 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

Your first shoot just take your time, shoot slow and have fun with it. For me the hardest thing was remembering the sweeps from stage to stage, landed on my head a bunch jumping for 20 years!

20 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

I also had a helluva time remembering the shoot order of each stage when I first started shooting.  I may dress up like Forrester from True Grit...

As a new shooter I still find remembering the "sweep" sequence the hardest part of each stage.

I keep finding the need for a "P" during each one. 5964e0324f83f_EmbarrasedEmoji-RESIZED.jpg.872b3cbe7de57335f2edcdd11f0fbc34.jpg

Maybe a restroom break before I shoot would help? :P

48 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Oh don't give Allie a hard time, she's a pussycat.  If you really want to see how friendly she is just spell her name Allie Moe ;)

This ^ deserves a repost.   She knows you are a good friend.

..........Widder

17 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

Will do Widder, thats definitely encouraging to hear!  And not just a litle intimidating to be in the company of champions in any discipline!

You'll soon discover that the champions of this game are happy to show you everything they know. 

When I see a new shooter come online and know where they'll be shooting I always take a look at the club scores to see if I know anyone. After doing so with the Palmetto Posse I see that I know a bunch of them and can only say you're in for a good time. Welcome!

I have a divergent opinion. 

Everyone is telling you to wait to buy anything until you’ve had a chance to go to a match and shoot others’ guns. I disagree. The reason being that what you’ll likely get to shoot are likely to be guns that people worked up to, not what they started with. If you do that, you may not be satisfied with what you can afford. 

Imagine you wanted to get into driving cars, so you went to a club and the other folks let you drive their Ferraris and Porsches. Will they be awesome? Of course. Is it what you need? Probably not. 

I say say the best thing to do is figure out your budget, look at what you like within that budget, research to make sure it’s legal for SASS, then buy it and shoot the heck out of it. 

All these people telling you to shoot other guns to avoid having to buy again aren’t mentioning that no matter what you guy you’ll end up wanting to buy again. And again. And again. ;)

3 minutes ago, Ben Beam said:

I have a divergent opinion. 

Everyone is telling you to wait to buy anything until you’ve had a chance to go to a match and shoot others’ guns. I disagree. The reason being that what you’ll likely get to shoot are likely to be guns that people worked up to, not what they started with. If you do that, you may not be satisfied with what you can afford. 

Imagine you wanted to get into driving cars, so you went to a club and the other folks let you drive their Ferraris and Porsches. Will they be awesome? Of course. Is it what you need? Probably not. 

I say say the best thing to do is figure out your budget, look at what you like within that budget, research to make sure it’s legal for SASS, then buy it and shoot the heck out of it. 

All these people telling you to shoot other guns to avoid having to buy again aren’t mentioning that no matter what you guy you’ll end up wanting to buy again. And again. And again. ;)92

However, some folks recommend having back up guns. Stuff happens, springs break. That way you will have a back up until your primary gun gets fixed.

Archived