SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Here

OsoBlanco

OsoBlanco:

I believe there is a middle ground solution here, taking all of the suggestions provided in this thread under consideration.

The 5964f9ce2aca0_GOLDENRULE-Smaller.jpg.09c134398b8b745eb4de4c01a02aa4c7.jpg  for new shooters considering CAS should be: 

5965010fb59bb_Emojipointing-Reversed.JPG.0cbe9994bfe685ebc9a270ca6831bc66.JPG   DO NOT buy*, BEFORE you (1) talk with fellow shooters, (2) do your research, and (3) keep the costs within your budget. (*Unless you already have an arsenal of firearms to choose from.)

Most new shooters, including myself, can't help themselves from chomping at the bit to dress up and shoot stages right away, but at the same time, we don't want to make a hasty decision on our firearms. Combined with those two issues are the funds that most shooters have available to them to get started. (As we have witnessed in several other threads addressing the reasons some shooters ultimately don't join SASS)

By talking with various entry level shooters in your local Club, you will get a feel for what they started shooting with, based on what they could afford, and what they are currently shooting now. Doing your research, either on the WEB or this SASS WIRE Forum will help you establish your take on the various types of firearms available and which you believe may fit your budget. Going back to your Club and finding a shooter with that particular firearm, will enable you to get a "hands on" feel for the revolvers, shotgun or rifle that you are considering. Cowboys will not deny you that opportunity and given the chance to handle the firearm, and even shoot it, may either solidify your decision, or change it. All this cannot be done with pictures, or someone describing the firearm to you. This is why attending matches and talking with fellow shooters is SO IMPORTANT.

At the same time, the "itch" to shoot will quickly come into play, and that is where your budget comes into focus. Starting off with viable firearms at a price you can afford, WILL get you into the game quickly, which is what you want. What some of my fellow Pards are saying, is that you can't watch Cowboy Action Shooting, and then immediately go out and buy your firearms. It will take some time; however, you don't want to wait tooooooo long, and miss out on all the FUN!  :D

Ultimately, the answer is a compromise between time and budget, with a sprinkle of information gathering.

Personally, I am VERY happy with my initial low-budget purchases that I am shooting, and my firearms ARE NOT failing me, I am just not up to their standards yet. At some point in time, I will hopefully get to the point where I am making them work much harder, and IF, and WHEN I get to the point where I need faster, hopefully I have the funds to do so. But at least I didn't miss out on the comradery and action of the game. :D

Best of luck in whatever path you take, and remember, we are here to support you in any way we can. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

As a new shooter I still find remembering the "sweep" sequence the hardest part of each stage.

As you progress in this sport you'll find a LOT of cross over from other athletic events.  One of those cross overs is visualization/self-hypnosis.  No, I'm not kidding.  Watch the better shooters at your club.  I'll bet $100 they perform their posse duties at the beginning of each stage.  (If I'm wrong you can contact Widder for your winnings ;))  They then hand off their duty to someone who's already shot and go find a spot to be alone for a minute or two.  Probable their gun cart.  You'll see them close their eyes and either stand there motionless or they'll proceed to "shadow shoot" the stage.  What they've done is relaxed their minds as much as possible (self-hypnosis) and are running through every single movement in the stage.  The sound of the beep, the picking up of the first gun, aligning the sights on the first target, squeezing the trigger, and so on and so forth.  They'll do this two or three times programming their inner computer to shoot the stage properly.  They then go to the loading table and load their guns.  After their guns are loaded they relax and run through the stage two or three more times.  Once it's their turn to shoot they'll put all their guns in the proper position, they'll assume the correct starting position and will then take a few deep, relaxing breaths.  Finally they'll signal the Timer Operator they're ready to go.  That all may seem a little silly but I assure you, it's serious business.  They've programmed their sub-conscious exactly how to shoot the stage.  Once that's done all you have to do is remain relaxed through the stage and let your sub-conscious take over.  It knows what to do because you've just finished programming it. When you hear elite athletes talk about their brains getting in the way it's because their conscious brain was trying too hard and over rode their subconscious programming.   Relax, program your computer, STAY relaxed through the entire stage and you'll be amazed at how fast and accurate you'll become.

12 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Personally, I am VERY happy with my initial low-budget purchases that I am shooting, and my firearms ARE NOT failing me, I am just not up to their standards yet. At some point in time, I will hopefully get to the point where I am making them work much harder, and IF, and WHEN I get to the point where I need faster, hopefully I have the funds to do so.

That's an excellent observation and definitely something to consider no matter how experienced you are.  Not may race car drivers start in an F-1.  You can most definitely start out with guns that aren't quite "race ready" and then upgrade as your skill improves.  Two things to remember though.  #1 Starting off with a certain set of guns and upgrading as you go along will probably be more expensive in the long run than starting off with race guns.  The difference is that the extra expense will be spread out over a matter of years.  #2 There will be times when your skill has improved to the point where your guns will be holding you back.  I've been in that position and find it to be intolerable.  I HATE being limited by my equipment.  If you can deal with that for a while then starting off with the slower guns is definitely an option.

8 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

OsoBlanco:

I believe there is a middle ground solution here, taking all of the suggestions provided in this thread under consideration.

The 5964f9ce2aca0_GOLDENRULE-Smaller.jpg.09c134398b8b745eb4de4c01a02aa4c7.jpg  for new shooters considering CAS should be: 

5965010fb59bb_Emojipointing-Reversed.JPG.0cbe9994bfe685ebc9a270ca6831bc66.JPG   DO NOT buy*, BEFORE you (1) talk with fellow shooters, (2) do your research, and (3) keep the costs within your budget. (*Unless you already have an arsenal of firearms to choose from.)

Most new shooters, including myself, can't help themselves from chomping at the bit to dress up and shoot stages right away, but at the same time, we don't want to make a hasty decision on our firearms. Combined with those two issues are the funds that most shooters have available to them to get started. (As we have witnessed in several other threads addressing the reasons some shooters ultimately don't join SASS)

By talking with various entry level shooters in your local Club, you will get a feel for what they started shooting with, based on what they could afford, and what they are currently shooting now. Doing your research, either on the WEB or this SASS WIRE Forum will help you establish your take on the various types of firearms available and which you believe may fit your budget. Going back to your Club and finding a shooter with that particular firearm, will enable you to get a "hands on" feel for the revolvers, shotgun or rifle that you are considering. Cowboys will not deny you that opportunity and given the chance to handle the firearm, and even shoot it, may either solidify your decision, or change it. All this cannot be done with pictures, or someone describing the firearm to you. This is why attending matches and talking with fellow shooters is SO IMPORTANT.

At the same time, the "itch" to shoot will quickly come into play, and that is where your budget comes into focus. Starting off with viable firearms at a price you can afford, WILL get you into the game quickly, which is what you want. What some of my fellow Pards are saying, is that you can't watch Cowboy Action Shooting, and then immediately go out and buy your firearms. It will take some time; however, you don't want to wait tooooooo long, and miss out on all the FUN!  :D

Ultimately, the answer is a compromise between time and budget, with a sprinkle of information gathering.

Personally, I am VERY happy with my initial low-budget purchases that I am shooting, and my firearms ARE NOT failing me, I am just not up to their standards yet. At some point in time, I will hopefully get to the point where I am making them work much harder, and IF, and WHEN I get to the point where I need faster, hopefully I have the funds to do so. But at least I didn't miss out on the comradery and action of the game. :D

Best of luck in whatever path you take, and remember, we are here to support you in any way we can. 

Other than all the crazy fonts and gratuitous artwork, I can't agree more with your post. That middle ground is important. I tended to go a little closer to the buy now and get into the game than I probably should have, as I went through many different firearms before finding the ones I ultimately ended up with, but I don't regret it because finding those guns would have set me back months or even a year of shooting. Getting into the game as soon as possible is the goal, but if at all possible, doing so and getting the right guns for you is the optimal situation. I will say that when it comes to pistols, probably more than any other guns, the way they feel in your hand is going to be more important than what label is on the gun. Rugers are king of this game, but I hate the way they feel in my hands. Others love them to death. I would also say that getting to try out different shotguns is crucial, as the difference between a 97 and a SxS (and 87) are huge. More so in my opinion than any of the other guns we shoot. Above all, enjoy the journey.

Mr. Bull,

I am of the same opinion as you regarding equipment.  If I am to be held back, I want it to be ME holding me back, not my equipment.  I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy.  I'm lucky enough that my job provides me with certain purchasing opportunities that would make it crazy for me to not buy the nicer/raced firearms.  I "shadow shoot" like you mention above, and I shoot much better when I get out of my own head and let my muscle memory take over.  I've finished a course of fire before and not remembered drawing my pistol.  the mind is a powerful, powerful thing. 

8 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

Mr. Bull,

I am of the same opinion as you regarding equipment.  If I am to be held back, I want it to be ME holding me back, not my equipment.  I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy.  I'm lucky enough that my job provides me with certain purchasing opportunities that would make it crazy for me to not buy the nicer/raced firearms.  I "shadow shoot" like you mention above, and I shoot much better when I get out of my own head and let my muscle memory take over.  I've finished a course of fire before and not remembered drawing my pistol.  the mind is a powerful, powerful thing. 

Countdown to some wise mule coming in and saying "Muscles don't have memory" in 3...2...1...:ph34r:

Hoo but they do Shooting Bull I asked them! 

8 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Countdown to some wise mule coming in and saying "Muscles don't have memory" in 3...2...1...:ph34r:

Shooting Bull / Redwood Kid:

A wise CAT person once said:

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

However, some folks recommend having back up guns. Stuff happens, springs break. That way you will have a back up until your primary gun gets fixed.

2 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Other than all the crazy fonts and gratuitous artwork, I can't agree more with your post.

Kid:

Other than all the extremely enthusiastic fonts and free of charge artwork, I can't agree more with your post.

596524d5a7f55_Crazy-Definition.JPG.876a9ad52d53411d5aacb00488b00e85.JPG

596524dbad9d6_Gratuitous-Definition.JPG.899da277a30e4b332bc2a4bc58d0fa2c.JPG

NOTE: Couldn't resist.:lol: By the way, I did LIKE your post.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

As you progress in this sport you'll find a LOT of cross over from other athletic events.  One of those cross overs is visualization/self-hypnosis.  No, I'm not kidding.  Watch the better shooters at your club.  I'll bet $100 they perform their posse duties at the beginning of each stage.  (If I'm wrong you can contact Widder for your winnings ;))   

:o

Having Shooting Bull on your side is like losing 2 good men.....:lol::lol:

(copied)

.........Widder

20 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

Hopefully I can get some pictures and maybe a bit of video taken of my first shoot to post up for y'all.  I'm beyond excited. 

OsoBlanco:

By all means, do so.

I have already posted my first shoot (in video) and have my second shoot in the "can" awaiting the times to be posted so they can be included when I post the video. Others can learn from our mistakes. :blush:

Besides your Posse critiquing your performance, you have the entire SASS WIRE doing the same. What better way to improve at WARP SPEED?

24 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

:o

Having Shooting Bull on your side is like losing 2 good men.....:lol::lol:

(copied)

.........Widder

May be true -- but I want him with me when I wander into a new bar ....... :lol:

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, OsoBlanco said:

Mr. Hayes,

I make an annual trek to Tyler/Jacksonville area to hunt every year, I just may take y'all up on that some time!  thanks everyone for the replies, every little bit helps.  Keep 'em coming!

We're less than 2 hours from Tyler and shoot first weekend.  Come on out!

You'll find that people get into this game for one or more of the following reason and it might change as you play. Competition, comrade, dress up, playing their childhood cowboy, it's one of the only places you'll find women talking about guns and men talking about clothes.  It's also about the most fun you can have with your clothes on

Im sure my tastes will evolve as I progress on my journey.  I know when I was involved in Civil War reenacting I dove into the authentic side from the very beginning, and if I had it todo over I'm not sure I'd go about it that way again.

2 hours ago, Blackey Cole said:

You'll find that people get into this game for one or more of the following reason and it might change as you play. Competition, comrade, dress up, playing their childhood cowboy, it's one of the only places you'll find women talking about guns and men talking about clothes.  It's also about the most fun you can have with your clothes on

Dang it! Why's everybody gotta keep throwing that in my face? :angry:

19 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Dang it! Why's everybody gotta keep throwing that in my face? :angry:

Why? When is the last time you stepped out of the shower & looked at yourself in a full length mirror ?  :ph34r:  :o  ;)

59 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

This morning. I'm a beast. :wub:

That's what I was thinkin'  ......

Oso

You have already heard some great advice from a crowd of experienced shooters but they have all forgotten one very important piece of advice

GET YOURSELF A GOOD HAT

Imis

30 minutes ago, OsoBlanco said:

First thing on the list amigo.  I cant decide if 20x or 50x beaver is the way to go. I expect it to outlast me!

My hat maker told me anything over 20X was mostly for show. I got mine in 20X, which was still not cheap but very nice. 

Welcome pard!! Enjoy the ride!! One of the best decisions you ever made jumping into this sport!!! 

Greatest people in the world play our game!!

23 hours ago, OsoBlanco said:

Mr. Bull,

Buy once, cry once; that's me. With that said the first ten years found me using four different rifles, three pairs of pistols and three different shotguns. Every gun was/is a good one because. . .an informed buyer is a smart buyer.  I still own most of the them and can provide new shooters with a complete set of guns, leather, hats, etc. to allow them to enjoy the game while they're gearing up. It's the way I got started and am eternally grateful to the pard who loaned me gear  while I took a little time to find decent deals on my own equipment.

You're on the right track! 

2 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

Buy once, cry once; that's me. With that said the first ten years found me using four different rifles, three pairs of pistols and three different shotguns. Every gun was/is a good one because. . .an informed buyer is a smart buyer.  I still own most of the them and can provide new shooters with a complete set of guns, leather, hats, etc. to allow them to enjoy the game while they're gearing up. It's the way I got started and am eternally grateful to the pard who loaned me gear  while I took a little time to find decent deals on my own equipment.

You're on the right track! 

Buck's done a great job of putting words to what I've been thinking.  With all the advice, including mine, to get the best equipment you can afford you should still be prepared because you WILL find something you like better down the road.  The reason being, you're not going to be able to see absolutely everything available before it's time to start buying.  Even if you could, the manufacturers are constantly coming out with new and better equipment.  I've thankfully settled on a set of guns that will last me for years.  But like Buck, it took me years and a lot of different guns to get where I am now. 

You said you're thankful you have a job that allows you to purchase high quality equipment.  Hang onto that job for dear life.  You're gonna need it. :D

22 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Okay, but you're buying the drinks. And none of that rot gut Widder buys. I want the good stuff.

One glass of COLD milk please.

On July 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Okay, but you're buying the drinks. And none of that rot gut Widder buys. I want the good stuff.

And whats wrong with my Chocolate Milk?

:D

..........Widder

11 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Because it's chocolate SKIM milk. I know what you're implying. :angry:

And the battle of the butterfat rages on .......... :o

Archived