SASS Wire Forum

.17 cal rifle

am looking for a .17 cal rifle need to find what the congretion recomends . cost is not problem. want to know witch is the best in the field of operation  and sight ability and factory support. my range  is set at  100yd can extend to 150/175 if need is there. i think this will be  fun caliber  to shut. all good suggestions is welcome.

SOUTH PACIFIC

I had a Marlin Bull Barrel rifle that was a tack driver in 17HMR.. so that would be my suggestion.  

I know Henry makes one in that chambering in a leveraction, but the two folks I know that have owned them was not impressed with the accuracy they got.

Major

.17 caliber can be rimfire or centerfire.

Your rimfire can be the .17 MKII (or MK2) which is the .22 lr case necked down to .17 cal.

Then you have the .17 HMR, which is basically the .22 Magnum case necked down to .17 Cal.   These are VERY popular and some of the best accuracy is obtained with:  Savage, Browning, CZ, Anschutz, and Ruger.

And I'm sure there are many others but those seem to be the more popular makes.

If $$$ is no problem, ya oughta check out the Anschutz.   I ain't saying its more accurate than the others, but those are some super nice rifles.

As for accuracy, most of those rifles listed above will probably be more accurate, with the right ammo, than we are capable of shooting at 100-150 yards.

AND then, there is the new Winchester .17 rimfire.   Sorry, I don't know much about it other than it shoots fast.

CENTERFIRE .17 RIfles.

My favorite is the .17 Hornet.   I have one in the Ruger model 77 and it IS nice.   Just ask the Widdow Crow..... ;)

ALSO, there is the .17 Fireball.   This is basically the .221 Fireball (Remington) necked down to .17

And there is also the .17 Remington.   It never seemed to gain a lot of popularity.   It pushed a small, light bullet at super speeds but just didn't seem to be a good combination that gained it much favor with varmint shooters.

Personally, if I were to get a new .17 rifle right now,  it would be the .17 HMR (which is rimfire)  and I would highly consider the Savage, Browning T-bolt, CZ, or Anschutz.

..........Widder

I stole a Savage Mark II bull BBl from a SASS shooter about 8 years ago. It was such a good deal I bought it even though I didn't need it. I have grown found of it and it's fun to shoot. That's my only experience with 17 HMR.

17 HMR.jpg

I recommend the CZ for accuracy & value. I own a 452 22LR w/heavy barrel & synthetic stock that is a tack driver.  The current models are 455 & are 1/2th the price of a T-Bolt. 

I also have a Marlin stainless with a bull barrel, it is a tack driver. .17 HMR is my go to gun for prairie dogs out to 150 yards.. I have shot 1000's of them in the last 15 years with this rifle. I also use a custom built .220 Ackley Improved Swift, usually for shot over 150 yards. I would recommend the Marlin any day, inexpensive, very accurate and dependable.

just sayin.............

I have owed many bolt guns in my long years of shooting, the only bolt action rifle I own now is the Savage bull .17 HMR.  I sighted in a number of these for friends and finally a few years ago   decided i needed one myself..  Extremely accurate rim fire and economical to shoot.  With no wind, accurate past 200 yards.  Wrangler Ron has taken thousands of critters with these fine guns.

Put it the right place and it will "thump" a nice size pig.

I have had a Remington 700 in .17 Remington since 1972. I was able to shoot eggs at 100 yards from a rest most of the time. They are wind sensitive and I have not shot it in a long while not sure of ammo availability. Flat shooting advertised at 4020 Ft/Sec. I liked them for groundhogs.

12 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Durn yer hide, now I got thinkin I needs me a savage bull 17.

What a mean thing to do.

Best

CR

;)

You do need one........oh, I bet that didn't help either.........lol

I liked the CZ for the amazing accuracy, but bought the Savage for the amazing trigger, and found it to be just as accurate. The 17 HMR has dropped some game with one clean shot that you just wouldn't think possible. Very nice, quiet round, and generally disenagrates on contact with anything.  I like that factor.

16 hours ago, SOUTH-PACIFIC,SASS #59402 said:

what is the good or bad word on the henry in .17 they have one in blued lever action tube fed price is in the standard with all other factory types what you say about that have computer checked all that has been recomended0

I too own a Savage in 17 HMR for the wonderful trigger, and accuracy which has surprised me.

I've got one of the Henry lever actions in 17 HMR, but haven't ever taken it out and shot it yet!  But from a purely static perspective - It has quite nice wood, great wood-to-metal fit for a gun in this price range, the octagonal barrel is pretty, the receiver wears the standard painted finish of Henry rimfires, the action is not light, but is very smooth and the trigger seems fine (I haven't pulled it much since I don't have any 17 HMR snap caps).  The gun balances nicely but generally seems a little on the heavy side for what it is.  The model I have is H001TV.

If I want something really light and extra handy I take my 17 HMR Chiappa Little Badger out.  It turns out to be a really fun little gun with respectable closer range accuracy.  Since it is a single shot you don't end up going through ammo too fast, and the trigger break on it is lighter than on the Henry.

I have an old H&R Ultra-Wildcat in 17/223. Very good on prairie dogs out to 250 yd. They come with sakao action, and barrel with faegon wood. Great gun fun to shoot.Bulldog Brown

I've had several 17's. I've been through 3-17 fireballs, all Remingtons (took 3 to find one that would shoot) (one went back to Remington because the best group

I could get  was 4" at 50 yards, several of those were keyholes, it was a new gun). Remington sent me a new one with the admission that the one I sent in had rifling missing inside the barrel. I finally sold the one that shot because it was just too wind sensitive over 200 yards, I had bought it for Prairie Dogs. I had a 17 mach ll in a CZ, liked the gun but was limited to 100yards or less on Prairie Dogs even less on Groundhogs. Had 3 different 17 HMR's, a savage that was terrible, it was bedded so bad I had to take a Dremel  tool to it.

A CZ 452 which shot great but I just couldn't bang it around because the wood was so nice so I sold it.

My 17 of choice right now is a Marlin in 17HMR, stainless, fluted barrel,lamenated stock with their pro-fire trigger. It's a tack driver. I can shoot neco wafers at 100 yards with it.

I like up to an 18 power scope on mine.

I plum forgot about the Savage b-mag in 17wsm I had. Like the round but the gun was a piece of trash, had it for about 6 weeks.

Depends on what you want to use it for. For General farm pests I've had a savage field rifle with the skinny barrel and the old non accutrigger that I called "The Death Ray" because i shot so many things with it. Never cleaned it. Gave it to my son who still uses it.  Not dime sized accurate, but still more accurate than it needed to be for what I used it for.  I replaced it with a Ruger American compact, which is ok, but I'm going to get a Savage with a threaded bull barrel so I can suppress it.  The .17 HMR is kind of addicting.

Archived