SASS Wire Forum

Passing of a friend. Updated 7-9-17

Wewahootee, aka Robert Leath passed away Friday July 7 at about 1:00 pm.  Weewahootee was active in CAS for about 25 years, running the SASS Matches in Orlando.  He was the Match Director for the State championship match, The Last Stand for many years.  He has many friends in the Cowboy Action Shooting community all over the nation.  I'm sure that many folks will miss him.

Update 7-9-17. There will be a memorial service at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club in Orlando on Sunday, July 23 at 2:00 pm.  It will be at the picnic pavilion on the range.

Damn, I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He was truly one of a kind. I know he was in failing health but had no idea how bad. My prayers are with his family and many friends, I'll miss you Robert. Thank you for posting Sam.

Chuckaroo and Sassy Buttons & Bows.

Gosh when I got into SASS 15 years ago and  met Wewahootee at a match I was intimidated by him.   As I got to shoot with him  more I began to think he was bigger than life.  Everyone had stories about him.  I think the second year I worked the Last Stand as an RO we talked on the range for about 20 minutes after the RO shoot through. That evening we had the RO dinner on the range and Robert sat with my wife and I and talked to us till dinner was done and Stan did the RO briefing.  My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the night, learning about his time teaching math to high school students, his part in building SASS in Florida and how the Orlando area had grown over the years.  Even learning where the name Wewahootee came from.  From that night on I always enjoyed talking to him and shooting on his posses.  I think the last time was a SC State Match at Givhans Ferry.

I will miss him always. 

Rest in Peace my friend.

Another of the SASS pioneers has passed and the world is a little bit darker because of it.  Had the opportunity to talk to him at several of the Last Stand matches and again the time he came up to the Mason Dixon Stampede.  Truly one of a kind, and one who's life touched many.  God Speed, Wewahootee, may you find peace and comfort in his arms.

Haven't been on in awhile and was saddened by this news.   RIP

I got to shoot with him a bunch of years ago at Heluva Rucus,He came up to see what kind of shoot Rowdy Bill and crew put on.He was a great guy, Vaya con Dios Pard.

Wewahootee was one of the first people I met when I started shooting SASS. He was truely a unique individual with a odd sense of humor that I enjoyed. He could be kind of crusty and cranky at times, but that's what we all loved about him.

He will be missed.

Rest in Peace Robert/Wewahootee

Weewahootee was one of the very first cowboys I met when I first got into CAS and he quickly became a good friend.  He was totally devoted to cowboy and the overall sport of shooting. 

I think the best description of him from my foxhole was that he was indeed "unique"...in a very good way.

Rest easy my friend...

Weewahootee was the first CAS shooter we met when we started doing cowboy shooting in Florida.  He was certainly a unique individual with plenty of stories to tell.  We always enjoyed seeing and shooting with him and have missed him in Orlando since his health went downhill. RIP, pard.   Annabelle and Rowdy Bill

Sorry to hear this news....Prayers for him and all who love him...Jim

Only met him once.  It was my pleasure!!

A prayer for peace and comfort for his family and friends. 

Our condolences to the family.  He is gone but will never be forgotten.  Some of our favorite stories are about Wewe....Rest in peace cowboy.   Many years ago at the Orlando range they named the action range after him.  What an honor to a truly one of a kind cowboy.

Robert moved me beyond my 1st SASS match, when all stages were more than 90 seconds raw time.

His humor convinced me that SASS was my future shooting sport.

I've now been at it for more than 10 years.

Thanks Robert,

Amarillo Rattler

Unique is probably the best description of Weewahootee. He was the leader of the Last Stand Committee for many years and his guidance helped it become one of the best matches you could attend. He also was the driving force behind the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee in Orlando. At one time of the premier monthly matches in the state. While far from perfect, there was no denying his love for our sport and those that participated in it.....He didn't always display his love well......In fact he was quite crusty but with influences from Salsa and Gini he mellowed into a lovable curmudgeon.  I will always remember his silver Quaker beard and how he would limp up to the firing line looking as if he could barely make it, only to take off like a shot when the timer went off. I'll also never forget the many committee meetings we had working on the Last Stand. He had a certain look he gave when you asked a question or made a statement that was less than intelligent......I think we all got it at one time or another. He was an equal opportunity look giver. Sometimes he would ask "Are you stupid?" in a most concerned fashion. LOL........Unique.....good word!

Personally, Robert had an impact on my life and the lives of my family. He helped me with my shooting and was the first person to start showing me how to effectively "train" instead of just shooting lead down range. Robert tutored my oldest son, Dominator, in math all through high school (we home schooled). Those two would have quirky high level math conversations that were above my head. He gave Dom quite the mathematical foundation as well as good mentoring. They had a unique friendship. From time to time we would all get together and enjoy each others company. 

The stories about Weewahootee are endless.....some good.....some bad......a good Cowboy and even better Friend. 

Weewahootee certainly left an indelible mark on Cowboy Action Shooting in Florida and those of us that were around when he was active were indeed fortunate. 

Happy Trails Wewe......Long Live the Cowboy!

Stan

Good morning everyone!

I'm Lisa, Robert's oldest daughter, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate and are getting a kick out of reading your posts.  You're right, dad was unique, crusty, and a lovable curmudgeon!  We've all gotten "the look", I can see it now, with the tilt of the head and the scratch of his scalp, as if he can't quite believe the words he's hearing are coming out of your mouth. 

He was a lucky man to have lived the life he wanted and I'm happy he touched so many people. I know he hadn't been around much the past few years, as his health failed he closed himself off from his social circles  He would have wanted all of you to remember how he was, out on the range. 

Lift a glass to his memory on the 23rd, and let's all remember the good times.

With much love and appreciation, 

Lisa, Robin, Shannon, and Ryan

Our condolence to family. R.I.P. pilgrim  Get something going upstairs and will catch you later on the trail.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

6 hours ago, Lisa Leath said:

Good morning everyone!

I'm Lisa, Robert's oldest daughter, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate and are getting a kick out of reading your posts.  You're right, dad was unique, crusty, and a lovable curmudgeon!  We've all gotten "the look", I can see it now, with the tilt of the head and the scratch of his scalp, as if he can't quite believe the words he's hearing are coming out of your mouth.

He was a lucky man to have lived the life he wanted and I'm happy he touched so many people. I know he hadn't been around much the past few years, as his health failed he closed himself off from his social circles  He would have wanted all of you to remember how he was, out on the range.

Lift a glass to his memory on the 23rd, and let's all remember the good times.

With much love and appreciation,

Lisa, Robin, Shannon, and Ryan

I'm glad you posted Lisa

Your Dad had a big impact on my involvement in SASS and my life in general. He always told me (with that look) "I had kids like you in school". I knew what he meant. I think of him often.

Some of the best times that I had with him were when he and Rusty were pals. Some things you could say on this Wire but most not.....I will always think of and picture him just the way he was the last time I saw him.......crusty, cranky and pissed off at something or another. Just the way he always seemed to be and just the way it was.

He was a HELLEVA man. I've been missing him for years now.

I don't know if I can be there on the 23rd but I often raise a glass to your Dad.......Weewahootee

Cheers WeeWee

Sun

Never met the man , but heard the legend up here in Western Canada ....

And so another cowboy rides off into the Sunset toward the Sunrise on the upper Plains ...

God Bless the Family ...

Jabez Cowboy

I was saddened when I got the news.  I knew, shot and worked beside Robert for many years.  You don't really know someone until you work with them towards a common goal and I can tell you that he was committed not to just the match, but to the shooters as well.  He definitely didn't mince words when he was upset about something, but he was not short on words either when someone did something right.  It seemed like every time I shot with him, he would hit me with some pearl of wisdom about shooting, life or sometimes something important like....bourbon.  Like so many here, I have been missing him for a while now and hope that he goes to a better place.  A place where he doesn't have to clean guns or load ammo or set targets - he deserves that.

Dang It Dan

I always liked Robert, when I first got started in cowboy action it frustrated me that he could beat me lol. He gave me a few tips on CAS ,off the top of my head as its been a while I remember his dirty guns and the van, his mixed up ammo (different loads), and his gun cart always seemed to have flat tires.

RIP Robert

AO

Another legend has passed. I  firstmet him at The Susquehannah Roundup many years ago.

Archived