SASS Wire Forum

What's The Middle Gun?

Subdeacon Joe

Looks like a reenactment of the Battle of Barrington. November 1934. If do it SHOULD BE a Colt Monitor.

Lester Gillis (Baby Face Nelson) and two others, armed with a Thompson and a Monitor, ahainst two FBI, armed with a Thompson and a pump shotgun.

That, however, appears to be a standard BAR. The Monitor had a pistol grip stock.

a60114976fbbaf2cfc6223cd11420b5c.jpg

If I were the guy kneeling down, I would tell the BAR shooter to get away from my left ear..... :o

They're so close, one grenade would get em all..... :P

..........Widder

BAR.

I always love to see photos like this and ya gotta love that guy with the revolver. I always wonder if he's cursing his boss under his breath thinking "We're in a shootout and these guys get the good hardware and I am stuck with this."

Isn't that a photo of a reenactment of the shootout with Bonnie and Clyde? I have seen this photo somewhere else before...

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

BAR.

I always love to see photos like this and ya gotta love that guy with the revolver. I always wonder if he's cursing his boss under his breath thinking "We're in a shootout and these guys get the good hardware and I am stuck with this."

Isn't that a photo of a reenactment of the shootout with Bonnie and Clyde? I have seen this photo somewhere else before...

Kinda like in WWI the Lieutenants and Captains going "over the top" to cross hundreds of yards of open field with just a 1911.

If that is indeed a reenactment from recent times them fellers sure got the wardrobe down as well. Background looks pretty darn real as well. Movie scene maybe? But I certainly don't recognize any of their ugly mugs.

Great picture! Thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Don't know that much about the Thompson. 

Don't recognize  that hood ornament as Ford. BUT, could be my recall has failed me again. 

Thompsons came two ways. A model A, and a model AC.  A was Automatic and AC was Automatic with Cutts Compensator. No compensator, makes that an A.

Thompson named their magazines in Roman Numerals.  The stick was an XX - held 20.  There was an L drum - 50, and a C drum - 100. During WW2 they lengthened the stick and made it a XXX - 30.  During the assault weapons ban they made a drum that only held ten - X drum. And they redesigned the L drum, trying to make it more reliable. The new design only holds 39, but they called it an XL anyway. Just another advertising lie.

This gun has an L - a fifty rounder. See it just barely extends down past the pistol grip.

thompson3.jpg

The drum in that original pic goes down about three inches farther.  Hundred rounder. C drum.

Those folks are serious Zoot Shooters! 

I wonder if the officer with the BAR scratched the paint on that new car?

Most excellent. I'm loving this topic.

I LOVE me some 1920s/30s stuff.

Great pic, nice explanation,  Alpo. 

Oooooooo!

Gorgeousness!

M1917 in 45 ACP.

Looks more Colt than Smith to me.

Or possibly a Colt Police model? The Colt Police Positive in 38?

Kinda hard to tell. 

On 7/8/2017 at 2:45 AM, Alpo said:

Looks like a reenactment of the Battle of Barrington. November 1934. If do it SHOULD BE a Colt Monitor.

Lester Gillis (Baby Face Nelson) and two others, armed with a Thompson and a Monitor, ahainst two FBI, armed with a Thompson and a pump shotgun.

If that was the battle of barrington, wouldn't one of them be a girl?  I thought Nelson's wife was there too. 

On 7/16/2017 at 6:21 PM, The Blarney Kid said:

The BAR man isn't going to do much shooting, no mag in the weapon!

Guess that answers the question of whether he scratched the paint on the new car. 

Archived