SASS Wire Forum

Riding for the Brand, SASS

13 minutes ago, Ben Beam said:

The key isn’t to “crack the nut.” Changing someone’s mind about something is an extremely expensive challenge, from a marketing standpoint. The key is to find the people who already fit your demographic. In other words, if your demographic is white, retired males who used to be in the military, then you advertise where those people are most likely to see it. Trying to then attract young, ethnic, females is going to be a massive waste of money. 

Sorry Ben, but I respectfully disagree.  Take your demographic "white, retired males who used to be in the military", yes they may or may not be more likely to take up CAS, but the Trifecta still applies, but now to a subset of the population.  You can make them aware, but there still might not be interest, or funds.

I am not talking about changing peoples minds, I am talking about generating interest, and they are not the same thing.  As Arcadia Outlaw just aptly pointed out 

19 minutes ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

I would never of bothered with looking into CAS if I saw most of Shooting USA's coverage which always focused on the folks in the most extreme costumes with a little bit on the competitive shooters.

You generate interest by focusing your pitch on the persons interest.  In Arcadia's situation, you would focus on the shooting and competition aspect of the sport not the costume portion of the sport. Were not changing minds here, we are helping foster that persons interests

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what comes to mind is using a monthly match with a fair amount of shooters in a video clip similar to Shooting USA Coverage but not focus on costuming ! focus on shooting competition and maybe show if your not into cowboy clothes showing what minimal cowboy dress is required instead of extreme. Hawkeye Gin has done some really good u tube videos of top shooters , don't know how folks would run across those or if they might be maybe somewhat intimidating ? Links to those u tube videos might be good to put on the flyers at the gun shops. Just ideas kickin around

AO

6 hours ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

You know what comes to mind is using a monthly match with a fair amount of shooters in a video clip similar to Shooting USA Coverage but not focus on costuming ! focus on shooting competition and maybe show if your not into cowboy clothes showing what minimal cowboy dress is required instead of extreme. Hawkeye Gin has done some really good u tube videos of top shooters , don't know how folks would run across those or if they might be maybe somewhat intimidating ? Links to those u tube videos might be good to put on the flyers at the gun shops. Just ideas kickin around

Exactly!  Target your pitch.

I.e. you want to encourage IPSC shooters to try our version of the sport?  Hit them were it really hurts and down play the western attire.  Something like:

"You think your good?  You think your competitive. Try shooting with two single shot revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a side by side shotgun, all made prior to 1900. Then and only then you'll truly find out how good your are."

You want to target the non competitive folks, down play the competition and sell the fun. Something like:

"Heck, it ain't how fast you hit the targets. It don't matter much how many targets ya hit.  it's how much fun your gonna have with your pards shooting stages dressed up in your western attire.  Yee Dawgee."

just saying

EDIT: if you haven't seen the videos AO is talking about check one out here - 

This happens to be my all time favorite CAS promo video.  Shooters not over dressed and not under dressed with lots of action.  To me if this video doesn't generate interest with the 30 - 55 crowed, nothing will.  Hawkeye Gin, thanks for making this video, it is what sold me hook, line, and sinker.

19 minutes ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

AO

I don't have anything to back this up, but I suspect that going that route is the wrong way to go. My reasoning being if it's just a focus on the shooting competition part, then you are really competing with the other types of competitive shooting games like 3 gun, etc. I do believe that a big part of the draw is the dress and playing cowboy. I also feel that if the game were a bit more like the old days with longer stages and some of that game playing stuff on the clock. I believe that many of the older folks have been driven out by the need for speed. That's just a guess on my part with no way to verify it unless we get some voices heard from the folks that have left.

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

I don't have anything to back this up, but I suspect that going that route is the wrong way to go. My reasoning being if it's just a focus on the shooting competition part, then you are really competing with the other types of competitive shooting games like 3 gun, etc. I do believe that a big part of the draw is the dress and playing cowboy. I also feel that if the game were a bit more like the old days with longer stages and some of that game playing stuff on the clock. I believe that many of the older folks have been driven out by the need for speed. That's just a guess on my part with no way to verify it unless we get some voices heard from the folks that have left.

I would like to hear some feedback but I think most matches have gone the way they have is because of popularity, Since Shooting USA did focus on clothing & fantasy I would say that demographic has been hit pretty good, Jim Scouten told me SASS would get some sign ups after they aired a episode. I have nothing against the dress up part and like the rules but I want folks to know they don't have too go extreme. As I said before I was turned off by Shooting USA coverage so it can go both ways. It seems like NCOWs would of took off , not sure. Remington Steele had some good lines for folks that are already shooters, shooters like buying guns. 

AO

Top line should be 

" Cowboy Action Shooting "

AO,

I have to agree about costuming. When I ask guys at work to give it a go I tell them I have guns rigs and will provide the ammo all I hear back is "do I have to dress up" I explain the minimum requirements but I've had no takers to this day.

1 minute ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

AO,

I have to agree about costuming. When I ask guys at work to give it a go I tell them I have guns rigs and will provide the ammo all I hear back is "do I have to dress up" I explain the minimum requirements but I've had no takers to this day.

My experience has been the opposite. The half dozen people I have been able to bring in and borrow my guns specifically came in for the cowboy angle and wouldn't have for any other gun game. I have only been able to get one to come back repeatedly and buy his own guns, though. I think it's more about the start up cost than the clothing for them, as they really enjoyed the whole cowboy angle. Maybe it's a West coast thing. Or maybe it's because cowboy guns are seen as ok to these folks versus those dangerous automatics and AR's. Who knows?

22 hours ago, Remington Steel said:

Sorry Ben, but I respectfully disagree.  Take your demographic "white, retired males who used to be in the military", yes they may or may not be more likely to take up CAS, but the Trifecta still applies, but now to a subset of the population.  You can make them aware, but there still might not be interest, or funds.

I am not talking about changing peoples minds, I am talking about generating interest, and they are not the same thing.  As Arcadia Outlaw just aptly pointed out 

You generate interest by focusing your pitch on the persons interest.  In Arcadia's situation, you would focus on the shooting and competition aspect of the sport not the costume portion of the sport. Were not changing minds here, we are helping foster that persons interests

I think I see what you’re saying, but the reason this isn’t generally done in marketing is because of cost. If you can spend your advertising dollars toargeting a group where you’re likely to get a 10% response rate vs one where you’re likely to get a 1% response rate, where are you going to spend your money? Of course there are special situations, such as public demonstrations, but in terms of actual advertising it generally doesn’t make sense to reach out to a group that isn’t your target demographic. The key, of course, is knowing what your demographic is. 

On 7/11/2017 at 6:46 PM, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Are we really unable to see the elephant in the room?  Those rapidly increasing numbers who left, did not always do so quietly.  Think real hard and perhaps we will finally see the elephant.  Why did most say they were leaving and why did we refuse to hear or acknowledge them?  Its a horrible thing to win the battle BUT then lose the war.  What will be, will be and like all sunken ships, there will only remain silence.

I recognised that there were problems and that there were many of the shooters leaving, sometimes bitterly but it was only in the last couple or few years did I come to see how bad shaped we had become.  There was a time, not to long ago that the real problems could have been addressed but I think we are past that time IF the tone of this topic is correct.  There were those, from the top down, who told us that we were finally on the right course, their vision.  Sadly that turns out to have been tunnel vision and we stayed the course far to long to allow backing out.

Lets not fight or gripe, lets enjoy what we have, while we have it.  The biggest heartbreak will be all of those SASS guns in the safe, and the dreams of the ones that were still on our wish lists.  The local gun stores do not stock our guns much around here anymore, so that tells me how much market I will have to sell to when the SASS Classifieds are gone!    

Enlighten us, Bob!!! What is the elephant?

With the change for scoring to total time it is clear that SASS is listening better to it's customers, but certainly overdue.  Other rule changes issues caused a lot of friction and possibly loss of members after the heated debates on issues like power factor, Wrangler jeans legal or not, cone of safety around shooter,  closed long guns on the firing line, etc.  I believe the rule on scoring will be accepted differently as the clear majority of shooters and TGs wanted total time.  In the past the WB would not even allow a change like the scoring issue to get on a TG agenda.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, Remington Steel said:

Exactly!  Target your pitch.

I.e. you want to encourage IPSC shooters to try our version of the sport?  Hit them were it really hurts and down play the western attire.  Something like:

"You think your good?  You think your competitive. Try shooting with two single shot revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a side by side shotgun, all made prior to 1900. Then and only then you'll truly find out how good your are."

You want to target the non competitive folks, down play the competition and sell the fun. Something like:

"Heck, it ain't how fast you hit the targets. It don't matter much how many targets ya hit.  it's how much fun your gonna have with your pards shooting stages dressed up in your western attire.  Yee Dawgee."

just saying

EDIT: if you haven't seen the videos AO is talking about check one out here - 

This happens to be my all time favorite CAS promo video.  Shooters not over dressed and not under dressed with lots of action.  To me if this video doesn't generate interest with the 30 - 55 crowed, nothing will.  Hawkeye Gin, thanks for making this video, it is what sold me hook, line, and sinker.

Thanks for posting this video. It's the first time I have seen it. I think you are right in that if this video doesn't make them want to shoot nothing will. I mean I have been at this game for 3 years or so and after watching that I want to go out and shoot right now!

On 7/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, Remington Steel said:

That is a fantastic video, I will certainly mention it to the WB members I work with at Founder's. 

7 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

That is a fantastic video, I will certainly mention it to the WB members I work with at Founder's. 

That would be great ! Maybe promoting cowboy action like this will get some more folks to come out and check it out.

Another aspect is a lot of families shoot CAS , father sons , father daughters husband wives and even whole families , this has been touched on before but is a great thing

AO

Seems to me, when you are "Riding for the brand" you are an EMPLOYEE.

SASS don't pay  squat. I'm tired of working my butt off for free.......................Take that as you will

Knarley

2 hours ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

That would be great ! Maybe promoting cowboy action like this will get some more folks to come out and check it out.

Another aspect is a lot of families shoot CAS , father sons , father daughters husband wives and even whole families , this has been touched on before but is a great thing

AO

I also love that video but keep in mind the speed of those shooters might intimidate a brand new shooter or someone who can't go that fast. I think if Sass could put together a video showing a bit of every speed of shooter, that would be ideal. 

Maybe SASS could ask it's members for someone who can produce an official promo video... I have learned to get to know our club members. Everyone has a skill. Use the resources that are available. 

50 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

SASS don't pay  squat. I'm tired of working my butt off for free.......................Take that as you will

Knarley

Don't do it if it's that offensive to you.

17 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

I also love that video but keep in mind the speed of those shooters might intimidate a brand new shooter or someone who can't go that fast. I think if Sass could put together a video showing a bit of every speed of shooter, that would be ideal. 

Maybe SASS could ask it's members for someone who can produce an official promo video... I have learned to get to know our club members. Everyone has a skill. Use the resources that are available. 

Hi Bubba,

I saw a video of a very fast shooter once and posted that I thought it would be nice to see in slow motion. He put me on "ignore." You might ask how I know that. I tried to send him a message and it wouldn't go through. When I saw him at the convention he admitted it.

I think it would be beneficial to see a stellar fast run. Then, the same run in "slo mo."  That way we could see how the best look at an easier to visualize speed. If that is an insult, just call me clueless because, four years later, I still don't get it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Bubba,

I saw a video of a very fast shooter once and posted that I thought it would be nice to see in slow motion. He put me on "ignore." You might ask how I know that. I tried to send him a message and it wouldn't go through. When I saw him at the convention he admitted it.

I think it would be beneficial to see a stellar fast run. Then, the same run in "slo mo."  That way we could see how the best look at an easier to visualize speed. If that is an insult, just call me clueless because, four years later, I still don't get it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

However a video is done promoting Sass, it needs to represent everything Sass has to offer. Like a Safe, family oriented, sport for all ages, fast or slow. That's what makes our game great. You can make it what you want. Shoot clean or win the championship. Beat your buddy or your Dad. That's how I sell it.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:03 AM, Captain Murphy said:

Most organizations will do an 'exit survey' that allows the leaving member to give feedback about the 'why' of their departure. I think that could do wonders for the organization to show where people are going. 

Tough to do when the person dies.

Tough to do when the person becomes ill, moves or is unable to use a computer.

Tough to get meaningful information even when someone may respond to an inquiry.

Tough to do when most won't even respond to a survey.

What some have from heard from SASSis this;

Our membership is aging, rapidly which results in;

1. An increase in deaths

2. An increase in those with health issues that won't allow them to shoot.

3. Their individual financial situation has changed and they can no longer afford to shoot, a direct result of item 2 for some.

4. They have lost interest, got burned out.

What some have "assumed" is

1. The costuming turns people off.

2. It's become a speed sport and no longer want to be part of that.

3. They no longer put the targets out a distance or do stuff on the clock, "old school" SASS.

4. $65 for membership is ridiculous and I can't afford it.  Let's "assume"the same person attends 12 local shoots/year. Shooter fees $120, Gas to and from the range "assume"  $20x12 =$240, and if they reload it still costs, lets "assume" $700/year or approximately $1,000. Why is $65 financial critical and not $1,000?

5. The Wild Bunch and SASS are skimming millions off the top and we're the victims of their grand scheme.

This isn't about $65 its about some people who feel they aren't getting anything from being a SASS member. And for their $65 they feel they have a right to know where their money is being spent.  To me that is the complete opposite of "Riding for the Brand".

And for those not in the the know I put assume in quotes because when you "assume" something you make an ass, out of, u and me.

Ike

On 7/13/2017 at 8:54 AM, Ben Beam said:

I think I see what you’re saying, but the reason this isn’t generally done in marketing is because of cost. If you can spend your advertising dollars targeting a group where you’re likely to get a 10% response rate vs one where you’re likely to get a 1% response rate, where are you going to spend your money? Of course there are special situations, such as public demonstrations, but in terms of actual advertising it generally doesn’t make sense to reach out to a group that isn’t your target demographic. The key, of course, is knowing what your demographic is. 

Ben, Now I see what you are saying.  I don't think we disagree with each other after all, I just think we are talking about two different things.  It sounds like you are referring to SASS doing a full-on media campaign to recruit new members.  What I am referring to is what clubs and/or individual members can do to recruit new members by targeting other small groups or individuals.

21 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Thanks for posting this video. It's the first time I have seen it. I think you are right in that if this video doesn't make them want to shoot nothing will. I mean I have been at this game for 3 years or so and after watching that I want

Redwood, Don't thank me, thank Arcadia Outlaw, as he was the one that mentioned videos, and thank Hawkeye Gin for creating it along with others CAS videos.  Check out Hawkeye's Youtube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpOCXDPhKkw3o-uGpeDrmlg.  By the way, I believe that both shooters hail from the great state of Florida if I am not mistaken.

19 hours ago, Knarley Bob said:

Knarley,  You are absolutely correct,  SASS don't pay us nothing. Nor does any member here, owe anything to SASS except for our yearly dues if we choose to be members.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't believe that any member here would recruit new shooters, just to bail SASS out of the poor financial situation it may (or may not) be in. It is my belief that their desire to do it, is born out of the love they have for this sport.  They want to see this sport thrive so that they can continue to shoot with a great group of shooter until they themselves can't shoot anymore.  Can you imagine going to your monthly shoot and only shooting with 2 or three other shooters? Yeah it still might be fun, but it would not be nearly as much fun, or the same, as it is when there are 15, 20, 30, or more shooters.

How about doing it because you love to see the look on the face of a new shooter when they finish their first stage?  Not only is that priceless, it revives that same feeling in yourself, the one you had when you shot your first stage. Just one of the feelings that keeps you coming back year after year.  How about doing it because new and upcoming members help keep you on your toes and push you to continue to be the best shooter you can be?  How about doing it because you can take a new shooter, and help mold them and pass on all the knowledge and wisdom you have gained over the years to someone else so that it doesn't die with you? How about doing it because you could make a new life long friend? How about doing it for the purely selfish reason that your getting older and need younger blood in the club to pick up brass, reset targets, etc? I could go on and on, as there are hundreds of reasons to do it, and none of them have anything to do with SASS, and everything to do with CAS

I am going to finish up by saying that I am 55 years old. To think that I could have been enjoying something that speaks to me the way CAS does for the last 30+ years of my life leaves a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I truly wish that a CAS shooter would have tried to recruit me 30 years ago. Well that didn't happen, so I now make a promise to myself: "Self - you will never take the politics that surround this sport seriously enough to every let it taint the feeling you have about CAS now!"

RS

Hi Remington,

You are an excellent writer, express yourself well, and have much insight into this sport/game.

Skinny, the editor of the Chronicle is always looking for articles. As you are so close to the start of your journey, I think you could write an excellent article about how you found SASS through your first few or more matches (maybe through our State match). I hope to see you at the next CA State SASS Match (and or WBAS) in 2018. We've already been notified that they will be at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town. Really, I hope to see you shooting before then.

Happy Trails,

Allie

58 minutes ago, Remington Steel said:

Ben, Now I see what you are saying.  I don't think we disagree with each other after all, I just think we are talking about two different things.  It sounds like you are referring to SASS doing a full-on media campaign to recruit new members.  What I am referring to is what clubs and/or individual members can do to recruit new members by targeting other small groups or individuals.

Redwood, Don't thank me, thank Arcadia Outlaw, as he was the one that mentioned videos, and thank Hawkeye Gin for creating it along with others CAS videos.  Check out Hawkeye's Youtube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpOCXDPhKkw3o-uGpeDrmlg.  By the way, I believe that both shooters hail from the great state of Florida if I am not mistaken.

Knarley,  You are absolutely correct,  SASS don't pay us nothing. Nor does any member here, owe anything to SASS except for our yearly dues if we choose to be members.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't believe that any member here would recruit new shooters, just to bail SASS out of the poor financial situation it may (or may not) be in. It is my belief that their desire to do it, is born out of the love they have for this sport.  They want to see this sport thrive so that they can continue to shoot with a great group of shooter until they themselves can't shoot anymore.  Can you imagine going to your monthly shoot and only shooting with 2 or three other shooters? Yeah it still might be fun, but it would not be nearly as much fun, or the same, as it is when there 15, 20, 30, or more shooters.

How about doing it because you love to see the look on the face of a new shooter when they finish their first stage?  Not only is that priceless, it revives that same feeling in yourself, the one you had when you shot your first stage. Just one of the feelings that keeps you coming back year after year.  How about doing it because new and upcoming members help keep you on your toes and push you to continue to be the best shooter you can be?  How about doing it because you can take a new shooter, and help mold them and pass on all the knowledge and wisdom you have gained over the years to someone else so that it doesn't die with you? How about doing it because you could make a new life long friend? How about doing it for the purely selfish reason that your getting older and need younger blood in the club to pick up brass, reset targets, etc? I could go on and on, as there are hundreds of reasons to do it, and none of them have anything to do with SASS, and everything to do with CAS

I am going to finish up by saying that I am 55 years old. To think that I could have been enjoying something that speaks to me the way CAS does for the last 30+ years of my life leaves a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I truly wish that a CAS shooter would have tried to recruit me 30 years ago. Well that didn't happen, so I now make a promise to myself: "Self - you will never take the politics that surround this sport seriously enough to every let it taint the feeling you have about CAS now!"

RS

Exactly Remington!!! That's been my selling point for years!! Don't want others to feel the same regret we had not finding this sport soon enough!!!

Mr. Steel,

You are correct about the politics surrounding the sport. I've been in for over 6-8 years, and so much of it has been work days, every week end it seems for the past four years.

Maybe it is time to "step back" and take a breather, I am 58, work in a hot welding shop all week, and just about burnt out. But, with out CAS I wouldn't have all the really, really cool "old" guns to play with. Perhaps it's time to play for awhile...................

Knarley

15 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

Mr. Steel,

You are correct about the politics surrounding the sport. I've been in for over 6-8 years, and so much of it has been work days, every week end it seems for the past four years.

Maybe it is time to "step back" and take a breather, I am 58, work in a hot welding shop all week, and just about burnt out. But, with out CAS I wouldn't have all the really, really cool "old" guns to play with. Perhaps it's time to play for awhile...................

Knarley

Knarley,

I feel your pain.  Although I am not a welder, I feel the heat from my job all too often.  It is one of the reasons I am turning to this sport.  There has to be things in our life we enjoy to make the other stuff tolerable.  

I have to say, it sounds like you've paid your due regarding SASS, and I not talking about your yearly renewal fee.  I have been in your situation with other activities, and it's not much fun when what you really enjoy starts to feel a lot like work.  I think you are on the right track... take a break and let some of the other club members pick up the slack.  Just go back to shooting, It's time for you to start enjoying the game again.  Knarley, your a good man - not only have you earned it, you deserve it.

RS

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 0:45 AM, Ben Beam said:

One of the more active threads here recently took great enjoyment in discussing the uselessness of “millenials,” which strikes me as unlikely to win the hearts and minds of the younger set. I also recall an incident on another forum where a younger someone had an idea about organizing cowboy airsoft events, (which that might be likely to get some crossover players who are ready for something a bit different), but he was practically tarred and feathered. 

Seems to me the demographic is what it is, and if you can’t make it work it’s gonna be a real tough act to change it. No judgment on it either way, but I did marketing in a previous life and one of the immutable laws was that you didn’t throw money at trying to change your customers, you threw it at reinforcing what the current ones already believe about you. I don’t take credit, it’s from a book called the 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Reis and Jack Trout. It’s old enough that some of the laws need a bit of Muting, but it’s still very relevant I think. 

When was was the last time SASS did a poll of their members to find out what they most enjoy about SASS and what they don’t? What were the reasons given for letting memberships expire? How are new members hearing about it? What other activities do they participate in? These are the things any marketing consultant would start by asking, along with “what are your three goals?” 

That was me! As a grandfather I appreciated being called "younger" :)

Doing both Airsoft and SASS, I think I have a pretty unique perspective on generations.....

Boiled down to brass tacks? The 30 and younger crowd as a whole does NOT find Cowboys cool. Because they were not raised like we were with Bonanza and Gunsmoke on TV in the evenings.

AR's are cool, Navy SEAL's are cool, the latest Gucci gear is cool, the latest Camo patterns are cool.

I thought that by targeting the younger crowd through Airsoft we could get people interested in celebrating cowboy culture and make it cool again. Let's face it, many non gun culture parents will be hesitant to buy real guns for their kids, BUT they will drop hundreds of dollars on Airsoft and drop their kids off at the field.....no worries. I see it all the time.

But those kids may very well buy guns in the future as adults. Are they gonna buy IPSC guns and gear or SASS guns and gear? 

Thats a question only we can answer as a community.

Archived