SASS Wire Forum

Riding for the Brand, SASS

Riding for the Brand, SASS and CAS. For myself and many others Riding for the Brand means also supporting the Brand. The Brand,  by supporting it, we get many things that we have taken for granted over the years. We get the Chronicle, be it the monthly on-line or the quarterly paper. We get the wire, in which we can discuss and share our knowledge or ask questions to our problems. We get a listing of the clubs, matches, monthly, annuals, and above, also scores of how we did or our partners/competitors have done.  

Without the support of annual dues, were would all this go? Without the Brand how would you find clubs, events, scores, rules that are universal throughout the organization, etc.? Without the Brand, each club we visited rules, etc. maybe in disarray.

I hear many excuses of those that participate in local monthlies, or on the wire reasons not to support the Brand, dues to high, etc., yet still participate in local clubs, and on the wire, which is supported by those that believe in Riding for the Brand and paying their dues.

If you want to Ride for the Brand and see it flourish and grow, I ask that you also support the Brand. I also believe that by paying dues we will see more shooters at State and above matches.

The wire, and all it gives us, isn't free. My thanks to all that support the Brand. MT

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Job Marshall Dan Troop. Badge numbers over 100,000 but very low on actual membership numbers. I joined in 1988 and still pay yearly but that was my choice along with other members of my family.

We need to support our Brand, SASS, CAS.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Hear, Hear!!!

Well thought out and nicely articulated.

Ditto what Marshal Dan Troop said several times over.

Same goes for what Randy St Eagle said. :D

I work pretty hard promoting SASS, been doing it for 21+ years. It's great to have a governing body with all the perks they offer us. However, I'm concerned about the direction that SASS has taken when it comes to membership fees. There were other options on the table for them to increase revenue. I've belonged to the NRA for many years and they have not increased their dues in years, they also give out $10 off coupons, AMA dues haven't increased in years. The church still asks for 10%, no increase in years. Had several shooters ask if they could shoot Hell On Wheels that are no longer SASS members, they did not feel they got enough value from their memberships, and they got some kind of condescending letter from the Judge. We had to tell them no. I've seen the letter and I will keep my opinion to myself. Riding for the brand is great, that does not mean we cannot question the way things are done or the direction things are going.

It's been a while since I have been on the Wire but I came back to look to see if anyone else was a little off-put by the rate for membership. I have been involved for a few years now, not nearly long enough to compare to some pards, but I wanted to put in my .02 about the cost of the membership. I am a RO1, RO2, and work as a TO at every match I attend. I do the website for our club (and pay for the server fees myself) and helped get us set up with social media to help promote our group.

Our club is probably one of the more 'active' in the area with anywhere from 20-40 shooters at a match with a large portion (~30-40%) of our direct members attending big matches all over the place and possibly taking advantage of some of the 'benefits' of the SASS membership (though paying to shoot at all of those places, so not really a benefit so to speak), but the rest of us are just local players that will rarely venture to surrounding clubs to shoot with some new pards. We all pay a local membership fee to our club, and everyone pays a fee at each match. Those local costs are directly tangible in that we have nice targets, good stands, coolers with drinks, good printed sheets for scores, newer timers, well maintained decks to shoot from, etc. If I were to shoot every match all year (excluding our 'Mild Bunch' matches) it would be around $180/yr for everything. That would probably cover the damage that my guns do to the targets, my feet do to the deck, shrapnel does to the barriers from my rounds, and leave some surplus to plan for new things like new props or consumables. Again, all very tangible benefits.

When I look at the $65 for membership renewal (not counting if my wife joins for an additional $60) I am already at 1/3 of the cost of a year of shooting at my local club and I haven't even seen any actual benefit yet (other than keeping someone from using my alias). If we look at the 'Membership Benefits' page we come up with enough stuff to probably cost $2 (since I don't get a new badge every year). I tried to do the math of how much they would be bringing in and what it went toward, but there are no numbers for it. My last number that I saw was that 1k new members joined SASS last year. If we break down just those members we have $75k in revenue ($75 * 1000). Assuming that the parts of the membership packet cost around $35 of the income (new badge, membership card, etc) then we are down to  $40k.

But, that was just NEW members. How many are renewals? Last number I could find was from a post with around 24,000 members. If we take out the 1k new members we have 23k renewals. If we assume a scenario of half are full pay, half are spouse/SO we have 11.5k @ $65 ($747,500) and 11.5k @ $60 ($690,000) for a total of $1,437,500/yr. Assuming that 25% of members are life, we will reduce that yearly amount by the same to leave us with $1,078,125/yr. Add back in the new members and we have $1,118,125. If they are paying their staff $40k each person (avg rate for clerical duties) we are at $120k in employee costs so the income is down to $998,125. If the costs of the website is around $12k a year (I do a lot of server support, so estimating at 40k active users, around 2 million monthly hits) that leaves us with $986,125k. If we take out enough to rent a modest office for a year ($1200/mo) we are down to $971,725. So that leaves some play room for other activities like putting out a quarterly magazine (that I have only ever gotten one of) and putting a postage stamp sized ad in the back of American Rifleman. Does anyone feel like the sport is getting  almost $1 million in work out of the SASS organizers? Or do you feel like your clubs are doing 99.99% of that work? This right here is where I think people are starting to have an issue. Numbers of membership are declining, people are already squeezed every month for their other hobbies/needs so that $65/yr could buy me the bullets I need to shoot all year or it could go to some faceless organization that I don't see a direct benefit from. Well, that is just what I am seeing here.

I have brought 5 new people to matches in the past year (and I really wasn't that active this last year due to life) and so far ALL of them balked at the membership cost and declined to do it. That is a pretty high percentage even for such a small sample size. They have no care for their alias being used by someone else. They have no want to go to regional or state matches. They have no need for a sticker with a cowboy that no one recognizes (since there is little SASS advertising). So new members really don't see anything that would draw them into the 'brand' to 'ride for it'.

Now, I know this will rub some of the die hards the wrong way and I mean no disrespect for what the sport has accomplished in the past 20 years, but there has to be some accountability to the member base for those crazy high membership fees or it will slowly strangle the membership out and distill the member base to the most aggressive (meaning the ones that actually practice between matches) which generally puts off new members since they cannot compete with 'pro' level shooters at the start.

Crazy high membership dues? I disagree. SASS has the lowest yearly fees of all the paid membership organizations to which I belong.  And I have the most fun in SASS.

I do agree that bringing new folks into SASS is difficult but I don't see that the reason is the $65 / year dues, but more like the $3000 ish "cowboy start-up fee" associated with cowboy action shooting. Most everyone I've introduced to this game asks "how much does all of this stuff cost?" The cost immediately turns them off. The membership fees are never even discussed because they've lost interest when they find out this game is one heck of an expensive hobby. No blame, it just is as are others. It is what it is. However, I have found that the new people I have brought into this game who do spend the money for the equipment happily spend the money to belong to SASS as a member. 

Captain Murphy

Your math and assumptions are wonky. You left a few things out.

There are more than 3 employees.

They have to pay for employee benefits.

If Misty is working for $40K/year to run this cat herd then she needs a raise.

They bought the land the range is on.  Mortgage payments of $$$$$$

Insurance, insurance, insurance.

Lawyers for the law suite they had to get through.

They had to grade the site, bring in utilities, fencing, lighting, and buildings to name a few improvements

The owners of the property don't donate their time to help run SASS

The owners should be expecting a return on their investment.

Advertising

Printing the Chronical

and, and, and.

And if someone buys around $5,000 in guns, carts, clothes etc to play this game $65 is nothing.

Just my view from my side of the creek.

Ike

My wife and I had lunch at Cracker Barrel today.   Cost $31

Another good meal over the weekend and it'll cost another $30+.    And all I will have to show is a fat little belly, high blood sugar, and less $$ in my pocket.

That same amount of $$ helps support an organization that allows me and about 40,000 friends to shoot together during this next year.   Sooooooooo, I think I'll continue to pay my dues and support something that has given a little gusto to my life and my previously dull weekends.

p.s. - I shot off $400 worth of fireworks and firecrackers on Tuesday night.  It took about 40 minutes to obliterate every ounce of powder in every  piece.    I don't think the yearly membership fee in SASS is gonna make me lose any sleep.

..........Widder

Let's see, 4 or 5 years in college, we still give money to our alma mater, we got what we paid for but we still continue to support them.  Frat? Probably still send them money.

17 years in SASS, I got my money’s worth years ago.  I will pay money and promote SASS to make sure SASS and CAS is still there when someone like me comes along and needs a little taste of the old west or maybe a youngster that looking for something different than the school curriculum. Maybe a family that wants a sport they can all enjoy.

I’ve not really thought about what SASS does for me as much as: Will SASS be around when my nephews and nieces and the next generation might want it to be?

Taking literary license from JFK:

Ask not what SASS can do for you; ask what you can do for SASS

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

My wife and I had lunch at Cracker Barrel today.   Cost $31

Another good meal over the weekend and it'll cost another $30+.    And all I will have to show is a fat little belly, high blood sugar, and less $$ in my pocket.

That same amount of $$ helps support an organization that allows me and about 40,000 friends to shoot together during this next year.   Sooooooooo, I think I'll continue to pay my dues and support something that has given a little gusto to my life and my previously dull weekends.

p.s. - I shot off $400 worth of fireworks and firecrackers on Tuesday night.  It took about 40 minutes to obliterate every ounce of powder in every  piece.    I don't think the yearly membership fee in SASS is gonna make me lose any sleep.

..........Widder

Wish we had a Cracker Barrel close. 

Are we not simply paying for entertainment?

If we do concider what we do as entertainment (and I don't see how we can call it anything else) then I think we are at least on par with other types of entertainment.

Golf....$500-$1000 for clubs bag clothes and the rest, plus greens fees...$20- $50 per round at our local public coase. Much more for private or country club fees and dues. (Done that)

How about the entertainment we get from other fun stuff like Hot Rod cars, Motorcycles, Travel or any number of other things we do to entertain ourselves? $15,000- ????? For buying or building a car. (Done that) $10,000 - $50,000 for a motorcycle. (Done that).

Jump in your car and go visit an place you always wanted to see. Just in this country alone gas, food, motels, entry fees and on and on. A trip from a Midwest home to Mount Rushmore can easily dent your wallet for $500-$1000. (Done that). 

The list of things we could do is much longer than just my few examples. I think we all can come up with our own list.

SASS fess high? I don't think so in the context of entertaining ourselves and our family.

Disclaimer: I have OCD when it comes to entertaining myself and family. Your results may vary. 

"Don try this at home" Just because we are dumb asses doesn't mean you have to be.

Whiskey

11 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Captain Murphy

Your math and assumptions are wonky. You left a few things out.

There are more than 3 employees.

They have to pay for employee benefits.

If Misty is working for $40K/year to run this cat herd then she needs a raise.

They bought the land the range is on.  Mortgage payments of $$$$$$

Insurance, insurance, insurance.

Lawyers for the law suite they had to get through.

They had to grade the site, bring in utilities, fencing, lighting, and buildings to name a few improvements

The owners of the property don't donate their time to help run SASS

The owners should be expecting a return on their investment.

Advertising

Printing the Chronical

and, and, and.

And if someone buys around $5,000 in guns, carts, clothes etc to play this game $65 is nothing.

Just my view from my side of the creek.

Ike

First, anything over $40k for an organizer's job is paying too much unless that job is self sustaining for income (i.e. it makes more than it loses through events and organized functions). My wife did that for years and 40k (with the benefits, the actual salary is 32k starting). But for the sake of argument I will do some changes, we'll add some employees and increase the pay.

Second, the land should have been bought using money from the events, not from membership dues. It is irresponsible to use dues that are best used for administrative purposes (e.g. keeping the core organization active to push new advertising/marketing) to purchase land unless it is in the best interest of keeping the admin side going (not to have a private range). 

Third, the land. If it isn't self sustaining through income generated by itself then it needs to be sold. It should never be kept open using member dues to maintain it to a large extent. All of the costs you cited (grade the site, bring in utilities, fencing, lighting, and buildings to name a few improvements) are all single costs with minor maintenance. That should have come through event money and the land should be making money for the organization, not the other way around. Insurance (both firearms specific and land) should run about $18k a year. 

Fourth, advertising? Where? I get 3 or 4 different firearms magazines and I don't see SASS ads anywhere. I work in social media all day long and have never been targeted by a sidebar ad because they don't seem to be getting run. I know putting out ads depicting firearms is a pain (I do firearms instruction on the side, it sucks trying to get those ads out) but it can be done.

Fifth, I am glad that you can put $5k into guns and gear. I, myself, took 5 years to eventually get matching revolvers, a rifle better than a started '92 that a friend sold me pretty cheap, a single stage press loaded my rounds, I poured my own lead for years, and I made my own gun rig because the leather was cheaper than a completed rig. $65 is a lot of money to spend for me and especially towards something that is still completely intangible. 

Lets adjust the math.

$1,118,125 starting balance

- $250,000 Staff (5 employees @ $50k/yr)

- $12,000 Server Fees

- $30,000 Mortgage

- $18,000 Insurance

- $50,000 Advertising (which I still haven't seen)

- $50,000 Chronicle (Only seen one in years now)

- $30,000 Land Work (clearing, maintenance)

So now we are down to $678,000. That is a lot of money 'left over' from dues. 

And still, none of that money is tangible. What I am saying is the cost of the membership does NOT meet the return on the investment. $40? sure. $50? maybe. $65? That is far too high for what is gotten from the amount. 

11 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Let's see, 4 or 5 years in college, we still give money to our alma mater, we got what we paid for but we still continue to support them.  Frat? Probably still send them money.

17 years in SASS, I got my money’s worth years ago.  I will pay money and promote SASS to make sure SASS and CAS is still there when someone like me comes along and needs a little taste of the old west or maybe a youngster that looking for something different than the school curriculum. Maybe a family that wants a sport they can all enjoy.

I’ve not really thought about what SASS does for me as much as: Will SASS be around when my nephews and nieces and the next generation might want it to be?

Taking literary license from JFK:

Ask not what SASS can do for you; ask what you can do for SASS

What SASS should be doing is wisely investing the money from dues to keep the organization going, not spending it. The money from investments would keep the group functional for future generations, not current dues paying members.

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Crazy high membership dues? I disagree. SASS has the lowest yearly fees of all the paid membership organizations to which I belong.  And I have the most fun in SASS.

I do agree that bringing new folks into SASS is difficult but I don't see that the reason is the $65 / year dues, but more like the $3000 ish "cowboy start-up fee" associated with cowboy action shooting. Most everyone I've introduced to this game asks "how much does all of this stuff cost?" The cost immediately turns them off. The membership fees are never even discussed because they've lost interest when they find out this game is one heck of an expensive hobby. No blame, it just is as are others. It is what it is. However, I have found that the new people I have brought into this game who do spend the money for the equipment happily spend the money to belong to SASS as a member. 

New members won't see $65 as much. Renewing members will. If there is a high attrition rate of the main group, it is because the cost of an intangible fee is not viewed as something that people will spend their money on. I do this sport because it is now fairly low cost. I teach firearms classes to fund my CAS habit. That is a full day of work for me to afford that $65 to send to someone that does nothing directly beneficial for me. 

Just my take on the fees. Not everyone has $65 laying around for something like that. I have heard the 'but dinner and a movie is $65' argument a dozen times in the past and every time I point out that dinner is tangible and a movie is direct entertainment. Also, I don't do that because I can get a rented movie and cook at home for cheaper because, again, $65 is a lot of money.

I did my first EOT in Norco, California in 2000. Did ok 7th Pl. in my category. Will always support SASS, CAS & The Brand.

EOT should of stayed in Norco, California.

Just saying!

As usual the topic kind of went sideways. All I can say is this, I enjoy being part of SASS. Besides shooting I have made many new friends and enjoy talking about how fast and good looking we were when we were 20.

If you feel you're not getting your $65 worth, then thats on you not SASS. The people who run the organization work hard to try and make a bunch of opinionated old farts happy. Not an easy job.

And lets not forget all of the volunteers who help just because they want to support what we do.

Ike

Without SASS this game will not continue in any form like what we have been enjoying for years now.

I will happily continue to pay my dues and the dues for my wife. Additionally I will invest my personal time promoting the sport at both the local club level and help SASS run booths at events that I am able to attend. 

I promise you, nobody is getting rich off the dues...

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Chesty SASS # 73317 said:

Without SASS this game will not continue in any form like what we have been enjoying for years now...

And right here it is.

Ok my two cents...

I am a big Pittsburgh Steelers football fan. I support them win or lose. I buy the jerseys, the hats, etc. to show my support for "my team". Many fans don't always agree with or like what the team does with bringing in players, coaching, etc. but many ALWAYS support the TEAM.

Same thing for me with SASS. As much as I like my Steelers I don't have a say in anything they do. Other than watching the games, that's all I get. I spend money to represent my team and to watch them.

Now as for SASS, yes I pay my $65 a year. They will do with it as they see fit. That's their job to figure all that out. But I also get to run a SASS affiliated club. I try to provide a good time for all the shooters who come to shoot at my club. (where I don't make a dime, but hearing someone tell me they really enjoyed the day is priceless). I value all the friends I have made in this sport. My personal belief is without SASS none of those friendships would have been possible. Could we have a "Cowboy Shoot" without SASS? sure, but would it continue in it's current form for the next generation? Probably not.

The friendships are the ultimate value for me. Let's do the math on this. Say I have, for round numbers, 100 friends I have met over 14 years in this sport.

$65/100 = $0.65

So is $0.65 a year worth every friend I have because of this sport! Abso-freakin-lutely...

Again, my two cent, my view. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and can do what they want. But I will continue to promote and try to bring in as many new members as possible to make sure this sport and SASS is around for the next generation, aka my kids! I am lucky enough to share this sport and SASS with my Father, I want my kids to be able to share it with me.

Thanks, Bubba

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

As usual the topic kind of went sideways. All I can say is this, I enjoy being part of SASS. Besides shooting I have made many new friends and enjoy talking about how fast and good looking we were when we were 20.

If you feel you're not getting your $65 worth, then thats on you not SASS. The people who run the organization work hard to try and make a bunch of opinionated old farts happy. Not an easy job.

And lets not forget all of the volunteers who help just because they want to support what we do.

Ike

Keeping old farts happy is the problem, we are not getting any younger people. We need some serious marketing and it does not appear to be happening. I don't mind paying taxes if the monies are not squandered. 

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

I did my first EOT in Norco, California in 2000. Did ok 7th Pl. in my category. Will always support SASS, CAS & The Brand.

EOT should of stayed in Norco, California.

Just saying!

If it had stayed at Norco there wouldn't be an EOT anymore. They've  had big changes with more coming, SASS and CAS are not the influence they once were and have to fight for everything that they get now. The Cowboys eliminated one of their annuals because they couldn't get the range when they needed it. Who knows what's going to happen with their range access in the future.

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Keeping old farts happy is the problem, we are not getting any younger people. We need some serious marketing and it does not appear to be happening. I don't mind paying taxes if the monies are not squandered. 

I am very new to this sport and agree its hard attracting younger people as the start up can be very expensive.  Clothes, guns, ammo, even the time commitment.  I have a newborn at home and its hard to get out and shoot.  I'm attending my first wild bunch match this weekend but won't be shooting because I don't have all the guns needed.  I think Sass is a great thing to get involved with and will look to get my family involved in the long haul.  But there is the cost to join Sass and then a cost to join my local club.  Its just a lot for someone at first when they want to get involved. 

I have asked a few friends about joining with me and the usual response is I can't afford that.  If there was a way Sass could make it easier for people to get into, I think that would make it easier to attract younger people.  Now with that all being said I will slowly but surely get everything I need so I can eventually get shooting.  I don't see a problem with what Sass charges for the membership, just as pointed out better marketing and making it easier to get involved would go a long way.

Just my 2 cents!

26 minutes ago, lone_ranger674 said:

I am very new to this sport and agree its hard attracting younger people as the start up can be very expensive.  Clothes, guns, ammo, even the time commitment.  I have a newborn at home and its hard to get out and shoot.  I'm attending my first wild bunch match this weekend but won't be shooting because I don't have all the guns needed.  I think Sass is a great thing to get involved with and will look to get my family involved in the long haul.  But there is the cost to join Sass and then a cost to join my local club.  Its just a lot for someone at first when they want to get involved. 

I have asked a few friends about joining with me and the usual response is I can't afford that.  If there was a way Sass could make it easier for people to get into, I think that would make it easier to attract younger people.  Now with that all being said I will slowly but surely get everything I need so I can eventually get shooting.  I don't see a problem with what Sass charges for the membership, just as pointed out better marketing and making it easier to get involved would go a long way.

Just my 2 cents!

Some clubs have loaner guns and leather.  Your friends could use them to try the sport.  If they get the bug they will find the money somehow.  Word-of-mouth is great advertising.  At a public range I shoot at we frequently get visitors to our matches.  It is important to greet them, explain CAS and perhaps get them to shoot a stage.  Tex #4 is excellent at this.

One can lead a perfectly religious life without ever setting foot in a church, but if one is going to avail oneself of the many benefits of the church including infrastructure and social support it is polite to throw something in the collection basket. It ain't required, but it's polite.

19 hours ago, lone_ranger674 said:

Just my 2 cents!

Howdy Lone Ranger,

Welcome to the Wire and SASS family.

It would be helpful if you or any person, especially guests,  would list their general location. That way, folks from your area are likely to contact you with concrete help.

Regards,

Allie Mo

On 7/6/2017 at 9:45 PM, Assassin said:

Wish we had a Cracker Barrel close. 

There's one in Loveland. About 50 miles. That's pretty close when you live in Wyoming .....:D

Throughout history there has been good folks riding for the brand who were actually opposed to those good folks riding for another brand.  Both sides were willing to fight and die for their brand, sometimes the brand was a lofty ideal and other times not so much.  I, for one, have never subscribed to riding for 'the brand' blindly or lightly.  If we are talking God or country, it is one thing BUT the light weight stuff will require a lot of talk and a bit of deep thinking.  What are we talking about heeya?    

1 hour ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Throughout history there has been good folks riding for the brand who were actually opposed to those good folks riding for another brand.  Both sides were willing to fight and die for their brand, sometimes the brand was a lofty ideal and other times not so much.  I, for one, have never subscribed to riding for 'the brand' blindly or lightly.  If we are talking God or country, it is one thing BUT the light weight stuff will require a lot of talk and a bit of deep thinking.  What are we talking about heeya?    

Riding for the brand is a leftover ideal from the fascist cattle baron days. You had to instill an ideal worth fighting for especially when you paid those cowboys so little. I would go as far as saying that you shouldn't subscribe to following god or country lightly either. Remember that those isis folks are doing just that. 

As for sass, while I may not agree with everything, I'll support them as long as they exist. If for no other reason than the fact that I got here late to the game and want it to stick around long enough for me to be one of those retired folks playing full time. 

Last thing: what the heck is a cracker barrel?

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

Riding for the brand is a leftover ideal from the fascist cattle baron days. You had to instill an ideal worth fighting for especially when you paid those cowboys so little. I would go as far as saying that you shouldn't subscribe to following god or country lightly either. Remember that those isis folks are doing just that. 

As for sass, while I may not agree with everything, I'll support them as long as they exist. If for no other reason than the fact that I got here late to the game and want it to stick around long enough for me to be one of those retired folks playing full time. 

https://www.crackerbarrel.com/

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. is an American chain of combined restaurant and gift stores with a Southern country theme.  not the best food but decent and you can find them in many places so you know what to expect if youve been there before.

as a side note, the politically correct term for that restaurant is "Caucasian American keg"

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

Come on RK, you've never eaten at a Cracker Barrel? You need to get out of Kalifornia more, I don't think they have any in the state. Contrary to some opinions I think their food is pretty good and always try to have breakfast at one when the opportunity permits. 

Archived