SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolo Bob

Membership - What works to attract NEW members?

TO: ALL SASS Clubs

We all face the fact that our membership is getting older and the attraction to the younger generation is not replacing or building our clubs.

OK, you tell me what clubs are not having this issue?

We need advice from those that have met this challenge and how we can profit from their advice.

Please, give us the GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:55 AM, Bolo Bob said:

TO: ALL SASS Clubs

We all face the fact that our membership is getting older and the attraction to the younger generation is not replacing or building our clubs.

OK, you tell me what clubs are not having this issue?

We need advice from those that have met this challenge and how we can profit from their advice.

Please, give us the GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY.

We actually have a nice core group of the younger generation. We don't just go out looking for the Young folks, we look for anyone interested. If that brings in a younger crowd so be it. I say Young Folks but I am talking the 25-40 year olds. I am the President of my club and we do a lot of promotional type events. Like Gun Shows, our Tusco Long Riders Day at Kames Sports. Kames is a club sponsor, we setup in their store with a display and talk with their customers.

I think it helps that I am only 39. Some of the younger crowd see that I am involved, and see that it's not just an "older generation" sport.

To me, I don't care what your age is, male, female, kid, old guy, as long as they will be safe, get them HOOKED ASAP... this sport is really for everyone (that will be safe with the guns). Some of my closest friends in the sport are 70+ years old.

Also, use Social Media. Go to where the people are. Millions of people use Facebook, a lot of Cowboy Action Shooters are on Facebook.

Go out to dinner with a group of Cowboy friends all dressed up in your shooter attire. Let the stares and questions come to you. I don't know how many times we get approached with "What are you all dressed up for?"... Go right into the sales pitch.

We also have Club gear made. Tusco Hats, Shirts, Hoodies. I don't know how many times I have had conversations about Cowboy Action just because of what I was wearing. Be a billboard for the Sport.

I was lucky enough to meet a fellow who does an Outdoor Radio Show. I have been on their show 4-5 times talking about Cowboy Action. Keep your eyes open for any opportunity you may have to promote the sport.

Hope that helps.. take a look at our club page for some pictures of what we have done in the past:

http://tuscolongriders.com/Events.htm

Buckaroo Bubba

Thought I would chime in as I am just getting started and I guess I am on the younger end of the scale.   I have attended a local committee meeting and I am attending my first Wild Bunch match tomorrow.  I will be attending a cowboy action match probably in August.  Its hard for me to get out as I have a newborn at home and the local club is a bit of a drive from where I live.  But to me the biggest hurdle is the cost to get involved. 

1)The cost for all the guns to get started.  Even on the low end is a significant investment.

2)The clothes to get started.  Definitely not as much but still a cost. 

3) The costs to join- First there is the cost to join Sass and then there is the cost to join any local groups. 

The people at the local club have been very friendly but not every young person can float the cost of getting involved especially if they are struggling. 

So I guess if there were a way to get involved in a match that maybe only required a gun or 2 as a side match? That way a person could build up over time instead of having a huge bill all at once.

Just my opinion.

I can tell you what got me interested six years ago at the young age of 53. It was a "5 pistol, 5 rifle, 2 shotgun for a $5 donation" stage that Arizona Cowboy Shooters Assn had set up at the Outdoor Expo at Ben Avery Shooting Facility. I paid up, shot, was hooked and have never looked back.

I don't quite understand all of the efforts to attract "younger shooters". I had all kinds of things that I was attracted to when I was younger. Unfortunately, a new mortgage, two kids under five, and a full time job kept me from participating in anything at that point. Let's be who we are, promote our sport, and help everybody with the time, money, and interest have as much fun as we do.

One of my biggest problems is /was when i first watched my first match i knew i wanted to do this problem is not having a place to practice,most clubs that host sass are not accepting new members.lucky for me a friend has 40 acres in mich and i can go there only its 3 hours away.so im getting my final gun in november and i will shoot in the spring.so a place to practice will hold a lot of people back.imo

The concept of "needing to practice" before going to your first shoot is not without merit.

The flaw is that you need to do it with live ammo and is the fly in the ointment.

Cowboy Action Shooting can be practiced very well with dry firing your rife and pistols and with DUMMY rounds with your shotgun. (Dummy rounds can be easily made to save wear and tear on the rifle and pistols)

Many cowboys have used post it notes for targets for years.

You can do this in your living room, basement or garage. (Keep the garage door closed unless your neighbors are understanding or a long ways away)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.