SASS Wire Forum

SASS Sanctioning Map

Jackaroo, # 29989

Could the SASS office or whoever is in charge of the website please put up the correct sanctioning map on the Shooting Events page.

The one showing is incorrect.

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Jackaroo,

If I recall correctly, and no guarantees there, the new map doesn't take effect until 2018.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct. The new map is for the 2018 and later years

I knew about that one, but I was wondering if, because of the realignment of the "Regions", there had also been a realignment of the "Divisions" or if bringing back the Central Division was planned.  Possibly that is why it was not yet defined on the 2018 map and I was just curious if anyone had heard anything.  Always seemed strange to me to split the Southwest and Midwest Regions down the middle for the Divisions, but I realize that when the Central Division went away, they needed to do something.  It does, however, create an issue for folks who win either of those two Regional matches and get free entries into their Divisional match.

I'm sure it will all sort itself out before the shootin' starts!  :P

My understanding the only change for 2017 

is Mississippi is in southeast, then all the regions 

change to new layout  & matches For 2018 with new 

2018 map 

maybe someone from SASS office could chime in 

Ah well,...there you go I thought it was in effect from 2017, and as Cherokee said, we have Missouri in the SW Regional in Oct I think and MS drops off, that's why I thought it was in effect.

OK all good.:D

The most intersting thing about the first map posted is that the red numbers are the number of SASS members in each state and in each region.  Add them up and it is around 24,000.

I had noticed that when it first came out.  Considering the spread, SASS did a reasonably good job with balancing the regions in terms of population.  I am pretty sure that those numbers were somewhat dated when published ( as are most statistics ) due to the time lag between data sample and publication.

Not sure about your area, but we have seen a recent increase in new SASS members.  At a monthly match back in April, the weather was terrible and we only had 13 shooters.  Thing is, 5 of them were new shooters with SASS numbers in the 1049XX plus range. 

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The most intersting thing about the first map posted is that the red numbers are the number of SASS members in each state and in each region.  Add them up and it is around 24,000.

It's also funny that the state that everyone is afraid to travel to for a match because of gun laws, has more SASS shooters than any other state by quite a bit. 

It's funny that one of the least populated states (Wyoming) has one of the best attended state championships, more attend HOW than the Eastern Divisional, and several regional matches. One cannot use the number of shooters in a state for sanctioning purposes. 

11 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

Does this mean that this year is the last Mason Dixon Stampede?  Please say it isn't so!

caf0feb97d04a627251ac7fe77db0290.jpg

The Eastern Divisional is scheduled at the Mason Dixon Stampede through at least 2019, and I would hope for many years beyond that.  Even if SASS were to decide to revamp the match hierarchy, the Stampede will live on, in some form, for a long, long time.

My honest opinion (well a guess is more like it as I Know Nothing!), is that SASS would like to reintroduce a Central Division match, and until that gets sorted out, have chosen not to announce the boundaries for the Divisionals.  Purely speculation on my part, but heck it sure beats jumping in on the Rank Point vs Total Time discussion!  :P

Archived