SASS Wire Forum

Big belly crossdraw

Roscoe Regulator

I noticed in some match pictures that some men with large bellies were carrying loose cross draws that would have loaded weapons sweeping the gallery, well outside the 170. Let's say you have a 30 degree holster carried at 30 or more degrees off perpendicular... the dang thing is pointing right at the people behind you. In IDPA that would get called in a heartbeat, even a sweep angle during a draw from a straight up holster. Granted, a single action has some business before being ready to fire, but in competition the gun could be cocked before clearing the holster. The crossdraw "dance" may not cover it, especially with some of the floppy holsters I see pictured. I have already been bullied for worrying about what others do (not guilty), but in this case it is about safety of those in the gallery, including me. This would seem to warrant some attention.

READ THE

asterisk manual.jpg

A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster

SHB p.23

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I noticed in some match pictures that some men with large bellies were carrying loose cross draws that would have loaded weapons sweeping the gallery, well outside the 170.

loaded guns, in holster, with hammer down on empty chamber/expended round cannot be called for sweeping.

Let's say you have a 30 degree holster carried at 30 or more degrees off perpendicular... the dang thing is pointing right at the people behind you.>30deg holster is illegal.

In IDPA that would get called in a heartbeat, even a sweep angle during a draw from a straight up holster. Granted, a single action has some business before being ready to fire, but in competition the gun could be cocked before clearing the holster. cocking a holstered gun is illegal.

The crossdraw "dance" may not cover it, especially with some of the floppy holsters I see pictured. I have already been bullied for worrying about what others do (not guilty), but in this case it is about safety of those in the gallery, including me. This would seem to warrant some attention.

All covered in Shooters Handbook.

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

All covered in Shooters Handbook.

"Holsters may not depart from the vertical by more than 30 degrees when worn."

A 30 degree holster is legal by my reading.

The rule is 30 degrees as worn on the line, I believe. You stated " Let's say you have a 30 degree holster carried at 30 or more degrees off perpendicular.."

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

READ THE

asterisk manual.jpg

SHB p.23

This is patronizing. The rules require some interpretation, and thus the question. I have to conclude then that stout cross draw shooters would have to turn more sharply away from the target before handling the gun, else cross draw 170 concerns would be inconsistent.

15 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

The rule is 30 degrees as worn on the line, I believe. You stated " Let's say you have a 30 degree holster carried at 30 or more degrees off perpendicular.."

You misunderstand. The holster is designed to be 30 degress. THEN it is carried on a belt which dips sharply from a level waistline. The statement is accurate as written.

p.s. Okay, I see it now.

8 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

You misunderstand. The holster is designed to be 30 degress. THEN it is carried on a belt which dips sharply from a level waistline. The statement is accurate as written.

The designed angle of the holster is not the point of the rule, it is the angle at which the holster rides when worn.

1 minute ago, Yusta B. said:

The designed angle of the holster is not the point of the rule, it is the angle at which the holster rides when worn.

Go it. Thanks for your patience.

Just now, Roscoe Regulator said:

Go it. Thanks for your patience.

You're welcome sir !

28 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

This is patronizing. The rules require some interpretation, and thus the question. I have to conclude then that stout cross draw shooters would have to turn more sharply away from the target before handling the gun, else cross draw 170 concerns would be inconsistent.

There really is no interpretation needed. No revolver may break the 170° at any time except while holstering or drawing, at which time the 180° straight down is also acceptable. 

We should all be concerned about safety, true.   Being a portly cross-draw shooter myself, I can only describe what works for me:

My rig is cinched tight.  I want my draw and reholster to be the same every time.  You can't do that with a floppy holster or something that might move.

My cross-draw holster is close to vertical, it could easily be used as a right hand strong-side (if I didn't already have one.)

The holsters are positioned around towards my front, so when I start I am bladed towards the targets and already pointed downrange. (When you're wide, this is easy to do.)

Yes, bending over to pick something up is problematic, I carry one of those pick-up devices on my cart just for that, (and for helping pick up brass)

As for the situation you have described: What matters is what happens at the line.  When someone is on the line and draws a pistol then breaks the 170 with it, either after it clears leather, or before it hits leather while reholstering, they will get called on it.  

If their holster is improper, they will get called on it.

As far as carrying an empty holstered revolver between turns at the line, there are many posse duties, resetting targets (texas star etc), picking up brass, whatever, where straight hang holsters get pointed uprange.  

9 minutes ago, McCandless said:

We should all be concerned about safety, true.   Being a portly cross-draw shooter myself, I can only describe what works for me:

My rig is cinched tight.  I want my draw and reholster to be the same every time.  You can't do that with a floppy holster or something that might move.

My cross-draw holster is close to vertical, it could easily be used as a right hand strong-side (if I didn't already have one.)

The holsters are positioned around towards my front, so when I start I am bladed towards the targets and already pointed downrange. (When you're wide, this is easy to do.)

Yes, bending over to pick something up is problematic, I carry one of those pick-up devices on my cart just for that, (and for helping pick up brass)

As for the situation you have described: What matters is what happens at the line.  When someone is on the line and draws a pistol then breaks the 170 with it, either after it clears leather, or before it hits leather while reholstering, they will get called on it.  

If their holster is improper, they will get called on it.

As far as carrying an empty holstered revolver between turns at the line, there are many posse duties, resetting targets (texas star etc), picking up brass, whatever, where straight hang holsters get pointed uprange.  

Thanks, I was thinking that a "portly" shooter would do well to use a straight up holster rather than an angled one. As far as when moving around when not on the line or approaching it, the guns are not supposed to be loaded and are not handled.

8 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Thanks, I was thinking that a "portly" shooter would do well to use a straight up holster rather than an angled one. As far as when moving around when not on the line or approaching it, the guns are not supposed to be loaded and are not handled.

With all due respect, your opinion of what a certain build of shooter would "do well" with, is just that. Nothing more. 

Archived