SASS Wire Forum

Trains will never be not cool.

Dorado

Some one had asked what freeway the pictures were taken from. I-10 west to east; Los Angeles to San Bernardino; Engine pulls into Santa Fe Depot in San Berdoo that is being/been restored as a Historical site. I worked for Santa Fe in that yard as a Painter Apprentice in the mid-50's. It looks similar today, but really different in its day.

Thanks for posting that article. Live steam will always be a thrill.  Yup, a 4-8-4 for sure. I don't doubt the camera had a difficult time seeing the drivers!

Bob Young

"wanna be" SASS

Pahrump, Nv.

Fourty Rod,  I too sold 48 years of HO trains about two years ago. Had a huge layout with over 119 engines and 200+ Passenger cars and 500+ rolling stock. When I   retired and moved to FL , it all went except one SP Engine and FO7 Custom painted in Daylight colors along with an 80 foot heavyweight observasion (sp) car, also in SP Daylight colors.

The Summers of 03 and 04 I (we)  lived in my Motor Home in Durango. CO. I worked for the D& SNGRR both years. In the summer of 03, the Durango Kid (SASS #8) had an invitational, old time CAS Shoot, which I am pleased to say I was invited to. Over 50 of us. The day after the shoot, we all boared the train in an open car in our Cowboy duds, As we approached the Train station in Silverton, The Kid and five other Cowboys on Horse back, rode next to the train shooting (blanks). The train stopped and we all Robbed the passengers. They had bought fake dollars (for charity) in Durango before the train left. "Shoot magazine" did a big story on in a few months later with The Kid standing on an Engine on the cover. Alas, Durango Kid has passed on; a grat shot and a good friend.  What a great day we had. Cheers, Hoss C.

It's nice to see that the old gal still has what it take to run at those speeds.  I was hoping the engineer was going to lay on the horn,,, he didn't disappoint!

What is it with boys and their fascination of guns, trains and fire trucks?

10 minutes ago, Remington Steel said:

It's nice to see that the old gal still has what it take to run at those speeds.  I was hoping the engineer was going to lay on the horn,,, he didn't disappoint!

What is it with boys and their fascination of guns, trains and fire trucks?

I never was interested in fire trucks. I've always love steam trains though. I'd still like to get a group of us together and ride one.

2 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I'd still like to get a group of us together and ride one.

This would be one of the perfect trains to do it on.  The V&T railroad Virginia City, Nevada... https://www.virginiatruckee.com/

Archived