SASS Wire Forum

chip readers

My debit card was missing. I retraced my steps from the previous day to where I bought gas using a debit option. Apparently I left the card in the pump. I went back, hoping for the best, and sure enough, the card was at the register. The dark, Middle Eastern fellow said the man who turned it in, appearing Mexican, spoke no English. He said cards usually disappear. I thought the outcome was an encouraging statement about humanity. In my area the chip readers have been ubiquitous for less than a year, so I have to pay closer attention to the procedure.

About four years ago, my wife went home to Bowling Green, Ohio. Although it was not a chip reader, she went thru a drive thru bank ATM while talking to her sister on the phone. Got her money and left, leaving the card in the ATM. I have taught her since never to use an ATM that sucks in your card. Anyway, she returned five days later and only then discovered the card was missing. I filed a report with bank. Our account was drained. The next person in line did that. Caught on camera. Evidently she, the one that drained our account was a well to do woman locally. She diligently returned the money to the bank claiming an accidentafter being notified that it was on camera. She was never charged with the theft. Obviously protected by the bank. Just because someone is well to do doesn't mean they won't steal from you. 

When I was stationed in Baumholder, Germany my wife worked as a store detective for the Armed Forces Exchange (PX) . The most often caught theives were spouses of Colonels and SGM ( Sergeant Majors). Imagine attending the Army Ball that your Unit Threw at the NCO Club. Your are going thru the receiving line which is customary for the Unit Battalion Commander and Spouse to be the head of. Suddenly your wife realizes that my Battalion Commanders wife notices that my wife is the woman that busted her shoplifting in the PX the week prior.  Couldn't wait to be transferred. 

Another time, she busted a CSMs ( Command Sergeant Major) and the wife for shoplifting at the PX. She came in wearing a sundress with no undergarments. My wife watched thru a two way mirror from above ( I was on lunch break and was sitting beside her to observe it). While the husband stood watch, his wife proceeded to select and put on some sexy undergarments. They were meet at the front door by the MPs. He was an Artillery CSM. Never heard of charges but they were suddenly transferred off the base. 

Sorry i I could go on but I've ranted enough. 

Dont trust anyone 

Kinda what I was saying. Doesn't matter your walk of life, or social status. There are those that will take advantage of a situation anywhere and anytime.

Archived