SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 vs Marlin 1894

lone_ranger674

So I was doing a little research on both rifles.  I was looking to get the shorter version and it appears the Rossi is only 8+1 where the Marlin is 10+1? So it seems like Marlin is a better choice for Sass as most stages are 10 shots with a rifle.  Am I pretty correct in this line of thinking?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lone_ranger674 said:

So I was doing a little research on both rifles.  I was looking to get the shorter version and it appears the Rossi is only 8+1 where the Marlin is 10+1? So it seems like Marlin is a better choice for Sass as most stages are 10 shots with a rifle.  Am I pretty correct in this line of thinking?

Unless something has changed the 20 inch Rossi holds 10 rounds

I was looking at the 16 inch barrel, guess I would need to move to the 20 inch barrel for this purpose.  It seems that both rifles have their fans  and maybe those who are not fans.  I would be getting a new Marlin so its unlikely that it would have the JM stamped on the barrel.  I will more than likely upgrade to a 73 at some point. But just to get started these are my options.  My local club holds practice on Saturdays and I will try heading out there this Saturday and see if I can try either.

14 minutes ago, lone_ranger674 said:

Rossi makes a much shorter version than Marlin does. About the minimum length barrel that will still hold 10 rounds in any brand of lever action is 20 Inches.

The R92 you are referring to has a 16 in barrel which is too short for CAS.

Obviously the 73 can be made to run mechanically faster if you short stroke it, lighten the springs until you have to worry about which primer you use and then slop up the action until it can't be staged vertically

Do I want to bet my life on it? Hell no. It was a Model 92 that rode in the trunk of my unmarked police car. The 73 lives in the safe. I don't care how fast you can make it mechanically capable of running. If it handles like a tree limb it's useless to me

46 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Obviously the 73 can be made to run mechanically faster if you short stroke it, lighten the springs until you have to worry about which primer you use and then slop up the action until it can't be staged vertically

Do I want to bet my life on it? Hell no. It was a Model 92 that rode in the trunk of my unmarked police car. The 73 lives in the safe. I don't care how fast you can make it mechanically capable of running. If it handles like a tree limb it's useless to me

... I guess you're right. 

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Handles like a tree limb.

Cannot be staged vertically.

Will require specific primers because of its tuning.

Thank you for your alternate universe depiction of the realities of 73 rifles.  

Pointless and inaccurate information is so, so very helpful to the readers of this thread.  

And as for trust your life to it.

If out of ALL the rifles in the world available; a lever action pistol caliber 1892 was the "best" rifle you could think of to trust your life to....

Well, I guess you're right.

Archived