SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 vs Marlin 1894

lone_ranger674

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the sport and I am looking to get a lever action in .45LC.  I wanted to take a poll and get everyone's opinions on which is better the Rossi 92 or the Marlin 1894?  I know either way I go it will need some polishing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whichever way you go, be cautious about buying the new Remington made Marlin because some of your best Marlin gurus are reluctant to work on the Remlins.

..........Widder

Marlin '94 is easier to maintain and has far fewer parts to deal with.

I say this as someone who has used Marlin 94's for well over 35+ years.

The Remmy made Marlins are JUNK-Run away. You want a Marlin with the JM barrel stamp. NOT the REP stamp

OLG 

Unfortunately, the copies of the Winchester 66 and 73 are the best, readily available rifles for this game.  The original Marlins were very good and excellent once worked on, but they are hard to find and now $$$.  The 92 is a good gun but very hard for most of us to run any where near as well a 66 or 73 - both for speed at least.

I'm happy with my Marlins and find them easy to work on myowndangself.

I have 2 Marlins and 2 Rossi's. Take down is easy for me on both. But overall, I'm faster with the Marlins. The Rossi's are good dependable long guns and when slicked up are great shooters. But I would go toward a Marlin, or consider a 73. Unless your shooting "B" Western, I would go for the 73. MT

I started with a Rossi 92 but switched to a Marlin 1894 after six months because I like the action on the 1894 better and I can remove black powder fouling quite easily.  Talk to a local club and see if someone will let you shoot each model.  Shoot an 1873 too.  You will have a preference.  BTW unless you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy I recommend shooting 38 Specials.  You will spend less money on ammo and probably shoot a bit faster.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Unfortunately, the copies of the Winchester 66 and 73 are the best, readily available rifles for this game.  The original Marlins were very good and excellent once worked on, but they are hard to find and now $$$.  The 92 is a good gun but very hard for most of us to run any where near as well a 66 or 73 - both for speed at least.

Why do you say "unfortunately?"  I've never had a 92 or a Marlin, so I can't compare, but I love my Codymatic 73 and I see nothing unfortunate about it.  ;)

At my first shoot, I used my 1894 with 44 Specials and it worked great. Can't say about how it would perform when run as fast as the experts shoot. The gun is not modified and is of Remington vintage. I did get some cuts though, so I went after the knife edges on the lever and the breech bolt. Just sayin'.

One bad habit of the Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt is that the chamber is notorious large.  Light loads of smokeless leaves a lot of blowby - black powder even worse.  The brass is really blown out and is worked hard in resizing.   I don't know about 92s in 45 Colt. 

The man asked about Marlin 1894's and Rossi 92's so why would you even mention the " ubiquitous 73"

To answer your question go to a match and ask to try out each. The one that feels best in YOUR hand is the winner

JM Marlins are Good guns and can be made it run fast .

With out work they are Jamo matics .

92's are good guns and can be made to run pretty fast .

With out work they are Jamo Matics .

I prefer the 1892 myself.

Just sayin 

Rooster 

I'll always vote for a 92 over a Marlin.   But then again, I shoot my rifle left handed and don't like the hot gases and occasional flecks of still burning powder that come of the action blowing all over my wrist.

I do have a pre-safety Rossi (in .44 Magnum) and it is a nice gun.   The action is not a smooth as a real Winchester, but it was still usable out of the box.   It was only after I got an ASM 92 (.45 Colt) with a HORRIBLE action that I was forced to have worked on and also a real Winchester that I realized the Rossi's action was not as good as it could be.   I am currently having it smoothed out, but I think you would find that the Rossi is okay as is.   Can probably be better, but it is more than likely passable right out of the box.

We have a couple regular shooters at our local matches that shoot 92s and they get along fine.  We have more shooters with Marlins and they do fine also.  Just get one and start shooting.  Always can trade for the other if you are not satisfied.  Or,  get one of each. 

41 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

JM Marlins are Good guns and can be made it run fast .

With out work they are Jamo matics .

92's are good guns and can be made to run pretty fast .

With out work they are Jamo Matics .

I prefer the 1892 myself.

Just sayin 

Rooster 

"JAMO MATICS"....

LOL 2.jpg

Leave it to me to answer a question that wasn't asked, but why limit your choices to a rifle in .45 Colt?  It seems like new folks think that that is the only choice, or the top choice, but it is neither.  The most popular chambering in cowboy action rifles and revolvers is .38 Special/.357 Magnum.  Why?  Well, it's much cheaper to feed, whether you buy factory ammo or "roll your own".

Assuming you decide to shoot a larger caliber, there are other choices for a pistol caliber cowboy rifle including .44 Magnum, .44-40 and others.  I think .45 Colt is a great revolver cartridge (that's what it was designed to be, since there were no rifles chambered in .45 Colt until pretty recently.  As others have said, some .45 Colt rifles suffer from "blowby".

I'll drag out my old saw:  Don't buy anything until you have attended a local match or two.  Talk to the shooters, handle the guns, get firsthand information.

Oh, and welcome to the sport!  Happy to have you.

I have heard that Remington acknowledged the early guns it built were junk but  in the last year or so they claim to have greatly improved quality.  Is there any truth to that claim? 

Great alias, Jamo Mattick. :P

More folks shooting Marlins than '92's, but quality control on the early Remington made Marlins is spotty, to put it nicely.

Disregarding other action types, I have ten 1894 Marlins, all JM, and seven Rossi 1892's - the Marlins get shot the most by a far sight.

Other than a Taurus Thunderbolt, which doesn't get shot at all cuz it's lucky to get off two in a row, I have no rifles in .45 Colt.

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far! 

I wanted to answer a couple things just so everyone has an idea of where I am going with this.  I wanted it chambered in .45LC because I already have a single action revolver chambered in that caliber and in the interest of having the same kinda ammo across the board I wanted to go with that.  I also might take this rifle hunting at some point and where I live I can't use rifle caliber ammo.  Lastly I will probably start doing wild bunch shooting at some point and need something .40 or above according to the current rules.

Thank again everyone I am enjoying reading the feedback and getting the wisdom!

personally i love my rossi 92... yes the guns action when brand new is reminiscent of pushing a caddilac down a gravel road on four bare rims, but once you put steves gunz springs in it it is as nice as any uberti 92 for 1/3 the cost and it will handle ruger only loads!!! the 94 is a great gun but i'll never as fast as those 94's and 73's can be... i dont need guns that are faster than me, just work horses that wont break every weekend...

i shoot a pair of uberti 1858 remingtons in 45colt, rossi 92 in 45colt and a stevens 311 12ga...

maybe in a few years i'll need faster guns, but i doubt it... 

All I can tell you is about the Marlin. I like mine, BUT I also shoot "Smoke" powder. The 45 Colt, BP or subs and the Marlin 94 are not so good a combo. After every match, the gun needs to be tore down and cleaned. Other than that it is a fine firearm. My wife shoots a 94 in 357, shoots "Smoke" powder and all that is needed is a couple swabs thru the barrel, done deal.

Knarley

46 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

personally i love my rossi 92... yes the guns action when brand new is reminiscent of pushing a caddilac down a gravel road on four bare rims, but once you put steves gunz springs in it it is as nice as any uberti 92 for 1/3 the cost and it will handle ruger only loads!!! the 94 is a great gun but i'll never as fast as those 94's and 73's can be... i dont need guns that are faster than me, just work horses that wont break every weekend...

i shoot a pair of uberti 1858 remingtons in 45colt, rossi 92 in 45colt and a stevens 311 12ga...

maybe in a few years i'll need faster guns, but i doubt it... 

Im a 92 Man Myself .

But I ant Never seen No Uberti 92 !

I think we covered this one before .

Just sayin

Rooster 

19 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Im a 92 Man Myself .

But I ant Never seen No Uberti 92 !

I think we covered this one before .

Just sayin

Rooster 

dangit, i think you're right, they are chiappa's... i think... lol

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1892-rifle-collection/taylor-s-1892-rifle-45-lc-20-octagonal-blue-finish-with-case-hardened-frame-walnut-straight-stock-model-432.html

2 hours ago, Bart Solo said:

I have heard that Remington acknowledged the early guns it built were junk but  in the last year or so they claim to have greatly improved quality.  Is there any truth to that claim? 

I bought one of the limited edition 45 1894.  So far so good and a couple of others tried it and for out of the box stock they thought it was more like they used to make them.  I use it only for WB and never plan to be real competative there.  1911 even with two hands my carpal tunnel in my hands let me know.  It is not as slick as my older JM cowboy comp 38 but that has had some work on it.

Bottom line I think the very latest (year or so) have gotten decent but then I am no gunsmith either.

I have owned a couple Marlins. I have a Rossi 92 in .45. This Rossi 92 that I have needed a little work as they are a bit rough to start with. If you get a 92 please do yourself a favor and go to http://stevesgunz.com/ and buy the Rossi 92 DVD, better yet get the DVD package with the DVD, ejector spring and the stainless magazine follower. The link for that is here: https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4&zenid=gjo20gdp147707dq0k9ba3rk42

A SASS member and gunsmith that goes by Nate Kiowa Jones as his alias is the proprietor of Steve's Gunz. He is very helpful if you run into trouble or if you need advice.

I really liked the Marlins that I owned as well. I had a Cowboy Comp that I sold for some strange reason but it was a very sweet shooter. My other Marlin was a very nice gun as well. They were both older models before Remington took over. If you can find a JM barrel stamped Marlin you will pay about double what you will pay for a Rossi 92.

I like my 92. It took a little work but it runs fine if you keep it clean. I did not do all of the Mods recommended on the DVD but I did make it run very nicely. I will be lightening the trigger as it is a bit stiff.

Lots of folks love the 73 and the 66. Since you want your match gun for other uses besides Cowboy Action they may not meet your needs but I have no experience with them outside of shooting other Pard's guns. They are definitely fun and fast, if set up right.

My advice, and that of many others, is go to a match and talk to some folks. You don't have to get all dressed up to do so. Just show up and introduce yourself as a new shooter interested in SASS and you will be surprised at how helpful folks will be.

Most of all, Welcome to the fun! :D It's good to see another shooter interested in Cowboy Action Shooting.

12 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The man asked about Marlin 1894's and Rossi 92's so why would you even mention the " ubiquitous 73"

To answer your question go to a match and ask to try out each. The one that feels best in YOUR hand is the winner

I think the urge to change the premise is often tempting, and this is a good example, all intended for the OP's benefit. I was wondering why 45 Colt. There isn't really a complete baseline for discussion, and a direct, unqualified answer might be counterproductive. It could be as simple as the new shooter already owning a pair of 45 Colt revolvers. In looking at Marlin's model line, I would say 45 Colt is not their forte.

Getting the rifle in a .40 plus caliber so that it is legal for Wild Bunch is a good plan.  In a recent thread about Wild Bunch Action Shooting there were lots of comments about many cowboy shooters' resistance to the "big bore" requirement since so many of us have .38 caliber rifles.  If you start out with a rifle that is compliant with the rules of both games you avoid that issue.

I've never owned a '92 but I've heard it said that the .44 and .45s are less picky than a .357 rifle shooting .38 Specials.  With good Marlin rifles being harder to come by and more expensive than they were in the "JM" era, the '92 will probably be more affordable.  If I were in the market for a '92 I would look at buying one from Nate Kiowa Jones with the action work already done.  Otherwise I'd beat the bushes for a decent used rifle.

Sent you a PM where you can purchase a Marlin in 45 colt for about the same price as a R92 all slicked up. Before you buy I suggest shooting both a Marlin and an R92 to see how they fit you.  Even if they are in 38 / 357 the fit of the gun will be the same.

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Before you buy I suggest shooting both a Marlin and an R92 to see how the fit you.  Even if they are in 38 / 357 the fit of the gun will be the same.

+1 -  Absolutely! 

Take it from me, it is very disheartening to buy a gun, any kind of gun, on the words of others only to find that you should have gone in another direction.

I expect the choice of 38 Special, loaded light, has a lot more to do with staying on target between shots than it does cost per round. It should make a lot more difference for someone who doesn't reload. However, 45 Colt with lead bullets is probably more common in local shops than 38 Special lead. I wonder if one could be more competitive with the .40+ guns, if competing in Classic Cowboy with all the other big bores. If a custom load was mild enough, it probably wouldn't make a significant difference compared to 38 (or mild 357). I wonder

All the pards that say "try before you buy" are giving the best possible advice. I can tell you for my own personal use , I have a hard time with the 92 ; just doesn't fit right. When I shoulder it the sights are not right in line , and I have to kinda scrunch down to get them lined up. Have had three different Brownings , two in 44 , one in 357, none fit me. Shot a Marlin 45 for several years , no problems at all. Maybe it is just me , and nobody else ever had this same problem , but it never hurts to try something out if at all possible.

Good luck , Rex :D

Archived