SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Help

Sonoma Steve

Looking for a little help from the voice of experience:  I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive press.  I really like using Trail Boss for my 45 Colt and 38 loads, but it does not like my setup.  The Trail Boss does not seem to feed correctly.  Due to the inconsistent loads, I have switched to Clays, which works, but does not give the smoke that I look for in my loads.  Has anyone solved this problem, other than weighing each load?  Is there a workable fix?

Smoke?  If you want smoke shoot BP.  You didn't describe the problem very well.  Trail Boss has very large flakes/granules.  Sometimes it bridges.  You can go to Walmart and buy a cheap aquarium air pump and tape it to the side of your powder measure.  The vibration will help with bridging.  If it does not work you are only out six bucks.

Hornady powder measures also have different powder drums/rotors.  If you are using the pistol drum you might try using the rifle drum as the larger hole sometimes helps with large flake powder.

Adding more things to check beyond what LEP wrote.

Bridging of powders like Trail Boss can also come from:

* dirty powder measure hopper or rotor area (clean with rubbing alcohol on a lint-free rag)

* letting powder stay in hopper between loading sessions - empty back into the jug when done every day.   High moisture in the air can get absorbed into powder and make it clump.  Alliant TiteGroup is renowned for this behavior.

* static that can build up on hopper - empty and wipe down internal surfaces with a used dryer sheet.   (really!)

Most of us don't want extra smoke.  Clays loads for 60% of the cost of Trail Boss!  I've loaded a lot of cowboy loads with Clays or Clay Dot (loads to almost exactly the same weight in revolver loads as Clays).  Never been interested in loading Trail Boss.

Good luck, GJ

The Hornady powder measure fills and dumps at at angle rather than straight up and down. 

The lightness (fluffiness) of the powder along with the slightest amount of static charge will cause it to meter incorrectly.

To resolve the problem I installed a Lee Auto disk powder measure and expanding die. The measure is extremely consistant.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure

Make sure to order the proper through the die expander when you puchase this item.

The measure are inexpensive enough to have one set up for every load.

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The Hornady powder measure fills and dumps at at angle rather than straight up and down. 

The lightness (fluffiness) of the powder along with the slightest amount of static charge will cause it to meter incorrectly.

To resolve the problem I installed a Lee Auto disk powder measure and expanding die. The measure is extremely consistent.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure

Make sure to order the proper through the die expander when you puchase this item.

The measure are inexpensive enough to have one set up for every load.

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Thanks for the response. This sounds like a plan.  I already use Lee Dies and have the "through the die expander".  One question.  Does the Auto Disk mount to the Lock-n-Load and operate like the Hornady Powder Measure, or do you stop and dispense each powder load?  Do you have a snap shot of your setup?  Before I buy, it would be helpful to see how you mounted it on your rig.

The lee auto disk measure mounts to the Lee through the die expander.  The measure operates automatically when the case enters the die.

This will work on most any press. I use a Hornady press and with 38 special it will charge aprox. 250 cases with trail Boss before needing refilling.

Archived