SASS Wire Forum

maybe, just maybe one reason rank point scoring is kept

Rank point scoring keeps everyone guessing until the actual awards ceremony,,  one more chance for shooters to visit vendors and such, and keep the excitement going a lil longer.   I know you can often figure it out anyway,,,, but often not too sure about the final standings,,,, 

That ^  is the reason I have heard over and over for why large matches are required to use it.  Otherwise, "half the shooters will scoot as soon as the proof scoresheets are posted and they see they won't win their category."   And, I think that is a miserable reason to use rank.   If you want the awards ceremony to be well attended, MAKE IT WORTH ATTENDING.  Quick, snappy, fun, pleasant, maybe even foody and prizey.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Rank point scoring keeps everyone guessing until the actual awards ceremony,,  one more chance for shooters to visit vendors and such, and keep the excitement going a lil longer.   I know you can often figure it out anyway,,,, but often not too sure about the final standings,,,, 

I have always believed that to be the case... I saw one suggestion to post scores using a shooter number rather than a name... might help folks stay around but it won't change the unfair system of Overall Rank scoring.

I re-scored every shooter in my category at EOT using Rank by Category scoring. 13 in category, so max rank points on any stage would be 13. After ranking every stage, there was a tie for second place... the tie would fall back to the lowest overall score... bottom line was that Overall Rank, Rank by Category, or Overall Time yielded the same results in this case. The chance for a tie decreases as the categories get larger. However,  I have seen the reverse many more time. It cost me a National title once at WR, and it also gave me a National title. Two years ago, after the Kid Whipped my @$$ at WR, I ended up winning my category by the Overall Rank Point scoring and the National Title.  I am much prouder of my solid win a few years earlier... where I actually beat all the other shooters in both time and Rank Points. We really need to get rid of this system.. If they don't want to let it go, then at least do it by category.

Folks will use various other sports to validate rank (like tennis or golf) but neither of those are time based and if they were they'd use Total Time.

14 minutes ago, Pick said:

So just don't post the times until after the awards...

the reason we post times is to allow the shooter to confirm that their score is correct before the final tally.   We currently do this by posse and alias but it could be done by shooter number (which changes every match) or by SASS number (which stays the same but some people know others SASS number)

Archived